• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Another thing GSP is talking about some potential onset flurries before midnight Tuesday night, they actually have a slight chance of a mix IMBY 9-11pm Tuesday. GFS showed this today

I have noticed in the past it’s not uncommon for those guys to go by two different models on two different shifts.

1st - GFS
2nd - Euro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't listen to local / TV mets. They have to play to the general audience, which means they're usually very conservative (which I understand why). They will start to catch up as the storm gets closer (and if it continues to show a wintery look). But, honestly you need to get your information from the NWS discussions and surprisingly from this site. There is a lot of really smart people here.

RAH NWS discussion: National Weather Service Text Product Display
Youve completely missed the point.

EPS has been trending unfavorably for wintry precip, might be the start of something here View attachment 57300
Euro is hard to beat inside 3-5 days usually. Like someone said earlier it is usually a couple degrees to warm with the CAD though. What I'm more concerned with is not being very much moisture and a fast mover.......... I'm going to bet models move towards the EURO in the next few runs. But hope I'm wrong!!

Euro is hard to beat inside 3-5 days usually. Like someone said earlier it is usually a couple degrees to warm with the CAD though. What I'm more concerned with is not being very much moisture and a fast mover.......... I'm going to bet models move towards the EURO in the next few runs. But hope I'm wrong!!
Agree with this, euro/eps is really hard to beat at this range, this is there time to shine 90% of the time

Hmm.. RAH AFD...

The main forecast challenge in the long term is precipitation types
for the next system Tuesday night into Wednesday. Cold air at the
surface will be in place as precipitation develops Tuesday night,
and temperatures will only increase to the 30s for most areas in the
Triad and near the NC/VA border through the day. Although some snow
may be mixed in at times, this looks more like a Miller Type B
scenario which would yield a better likelihood of freezing
rain/sleet for the NW Piedmont. Forecast soundings continue to show
a warm nose in the lower-levels that would melt falling
precipitation, and where surface temps are below freezing, freezing
rain would be possible. There could be brief periods early Wednesday
morning and late Wednesday evening that a rain/snow/sleet mix could
reach as far southeast as the western edge of the Triangle, but
considering this event is days away, confidence remains low. Total

precipitation from the storm is currently around 0.50".

Frozen precip breaking out at hour 84 on nam
I’d be wary of putting stock in the 84 hour NAM. It’s probably about as reliable as the GFS is 5-6 days out. That’s not to say it’s wrong, I’d just focus more on ops/ens than meso models right now.

I’d be wary of putting stock in the 84 hour NAM. It’s probably about as reliable as the GFS is 5-6 days out. That’s not to say it’s wrong, I’d just focus more on ops/ens than meso models right now.
I don't think he/and anybody else was necessarily taking stock in what it has, more-so just a report on what it has verbatim, and you're right, that's the way to go.

I don't think he/and anybody else was necessarily taking stock in what it has, more-so just a report on what it has verbatim, and you're right, that's the way to go.
Sure, I’m just making sure we all know lol. A reminder since we tend to get all excited about NAMs

Back