• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

I must say, and I’m not picking on Brad, but a lot of TV Mets are not shy about their disdain for hobbyists who post these type of maps. Notice this model has just as sever ice totals in the Triad as in VA, and that’s probably not happening.

It was February 2015 when he forecasted 7-10” for the metro area, and then January 2017 when he was going with 5-8”... both of those times the city ended up with only a couple inches and the southern Mecklenburg into Union County got less than an inch. Ever since those two storms he’s been very conservative. It’s a complete reversal from how he used to be. I remember back in December 2010, he guaranteed a white Christmas for Charlotte 4 days out and then sweating bullets when the models lost the storm 72 hrs out only to bring back in the last 24 hours

Oh, that's right! That was a major disappointment, I was one unhappy guy. Lol. I kind of feel bad for the man. He has a huge media presence, so that doesn't help. However, he shouldn't be posting fantasy storm maps for the folks up north. Although, I guess he has nothing to lose...

Oh, that's right! That was a major disappointment, I was one unhappy guy. Lol. I kind of feel bad for the man. He has a huge media presence, so that doesn't help. However, he shouldn't be posting fantasy storm maps for the folks up north. Although, I guess he has nothing to lose...
Yeah February 2015 is still an open wound for the snow lovers in my house. GSP had us forecasted 10-14 inches on there afternoon forecast package when the storm was to start in early evening... it snowed very heavy for about 45 minutes covering everything even though temperatures were in the mid 30s... then that warm nose that no one saw coming took over and we had 30 minutes of sleet then it poured rain the rest of the night. Brad wasn’t the only one who missed on that one

Surprised Grayson and Patrick counties are not in the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, it is weird. I would think .25 ZR would be a good bet in at least parts of those counties. I am also surprised they have me all snow and sleet with the NAM having such an epic warm nose. They mention it in the discussion though.

Most of the precipitation will start as a mix of snow and sleet, but
the NAM shows a good warm nose at 850 mb with temperatures above
freezing that will penetrate northward above the shallow cold wedge
at the surface. This warm nose will transition the precipitation
types more toward freezing rain by midday along and east of the Blue
Ridge, but a snow and sleet mix could persist west of the Blue Ridge
for most of the day. There still remains a considerable amount of
uncertainty regarding exactly where the gradient of the various
precipitation types will set up along with the total QPF amounts
among the various models and their ensembles. However, confidence is
increasing for a winter storm with significant impacts from
snow, sleet, and ice on Wednesday.

I am just NW of the parkway but I always consider the mountains just west of I81 to be the Blue Ridge too. So I am east of them. I dono...

Well, with how whacked 2020 has been... Maybe, just maybe we will get one of those surprise storms that Mets and models failed to catch on. Fingers crossed!
My youngest boy is convinced that we’re gonna have a huge snowstorm the first week of January. His reasoning... the charter school he attends has already decided that they are having full remote learning that week so even if it were to snow enough to put them out all week, he would still be in school

0z Nam has coastal coming up through ENC instead if riding up coast tick off shore. Screws thermals up verse Canadian suite. 50 miles one way or other makes a difference between a novelty event v/s winter storm[ ice]

Do not see I don’t think one area outside near the escarpment go under 30 degrees, areas that received ZR outside the super CAD areas mainly stayed around 30-32, probably won’t be much of a issue on the roads but I’ve seen setups even at 32 have ice build up on trees, so this looks more like as I like to call it a tree top ice event for areas more into the piedmont, it’s a super close call and at this point any cold trends makes things iffy

That’s a bit sus for 85/north ?
For example GSO here is 31/29, it should get a tad lower verbatim wet bulb after this but it doesn’t
Tim Buckley called that out 1B048EB7-0877-4724-AA91-AA79555E10D7.png45AFB315-1DFD-497D-896D-94E4A54C0471.png

18z RDPS HOUR 48 on pivotal is what you want to see to get a legit ice storm. Compare to same time stamp on 0z Nam and you can see the difference with transfer,lp placements. Why Canadian short range is more frozen. Im on my phone , so cant copy n paste for you guys.

The parent high is slowly getting stronger, it just really depends on how our shortwave sets up, the more time you allow CAD to build in, the more widespread the ice, the faster you move it, the warmer and less expansive it will be
Also interesting how our coastal is trending E10EBB4E-1A51-4DED-8DD0-6264B4D491E4.gif

Back