• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Hi Spring:
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

It's amazing watching the models trying to figure out the represcussions of the very stout ridging on the west coast.

Looking at the GFS over the next week or so, it sure does look like what the GFS showed a week or two in late December/early January before the parade of storms hit.

Last edited:
There must have been one ensemble member that went bananas to give this look on the 6z GEFS mean:
snod.conus.png

Watching the potential Monday event. Temp issues even for RDU so doesn’t look like a greater SE event. But if it can trend into overnight Monday into Tues we would be in business. Should be an interesting few days if model runs...couple of tweets of my thoughts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusting-0.5" of snow was reported over parts of the NWS RAH CWA this morning esp back over the western piedmont and the Triad. Not sure how much fell here in the Triangle

Surprising to see the EPS with wanting to build a southeastern ridge only to have more of a trough as it gets closer. This is inside day 10. View attachment 3592

This is why I got bent out of shape when some were buying into this ridge extending from the NE Pacific to Europe and torching the entire US, that probably wasn't going to verify and even if it did, it wouldn't last long. Definitely entertaining to watch the SE US ridge evaporate on the EPS as we approach the medium range, another one is already biting the dust at 192 hr.
Unknown.gif

That's significant right there.... but I shall refrain from getting too excited but honestly I'd take the GEFS over the EPS right now the way things have played out this winter

The GEFS has been clutch w/ this MJO pulse the last week or so and has been spanking the EPS as expected in phase 5. The more realistic MJO forecast from the GEFS and the fact that the EPS has problems w/ orographic forcing from the Rockies I'd definitely side w/ the GEFS here.

This is why I got bent out of shape when some were buying into this ridge extending from the NE Pacific to Europe and torching the entire US, that probably wasn't going to verify and even if it did, it wouldn't last long. Definitely entertaining to watch the SE US ridge evaporate on the EPS as we approach the medium range, another one is already biting the dust at 192 hr.
View attachment 3593

You buying the easterlies fading out? Does this potentially mean nina won’t have as much influence on pattern into February?

Attachments

• 88F5979F-FD4A-4A65-A4FF-BABDF898A6D8.gif
    88F5979F-FD4A-4A65-A4FF-BABDF898A6D8.gif
    198.1 KB · Views: 19
Back