• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

While fun to look at, operational models start to drastically lose accuracy after 4-5 days. This is a case of the obvious ridge continually showing up, and kicking the colder air can down the road into late February, into March.

I'm no longer seeing any signs of a week 1-3 winter Storm for the deep South (I-20, south).

It's more that the GFS is really bad beyond truncation and each hour you go beyond it, the larger the error. I just look at beyond 240 for major H5 trends or laughs. So far, there is nothing noticeable in terms of trends, only flip flopping.

The GFS is bad in the extended but the GEFS is solid. It has been sliding the ridge in the west to +PNA position around Feb 7-8. It has done this several runs in a row now. The 12z run of the Canadian Enembles support this too.

7d5962726ec10bdb7f40c3e5768ab4f6.jpg
7b024092444fa22be65a54fd5ccb344f.jpg
ceb2beb4b8b3fa25bdd5bb266ded0639.jpg
83cc54263981f18d06d858a751f115ff.jpg
12289231e79886a73d1d28f194448be3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12Z GEM model didn't look as good as it develops a negative PNA towards the end of the run with riding developing in the south.View attachment 3517 View attachment 3518 View attachment 3519

Completely fine with me. I think you missed my point. I expect the pattern to develop eventually close to what the 00z GEM showed and looking at ANY operational model right now for that period is completely useless.

The 12z EPS continue the trend of looking colder post day 10.

That's the early part of the 1st week of February ... 'Twas that way in 1899 ... but that is as far as I'll go in an analogy ... ;)
However, can you imagine what this board would have looked like if we were alive and there was internet then ... late Jan, early Feb 1899 AN and a possible snow coming ... LOL ... :eek:

Attachments

• Feb 1899.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
That's the early part of the 1st week of February ... 'Twas that way in 1899 ... but that is as far as I'll go in an analogy ... ;)
However, can you imagine what this board would have looked like if we were alive and there was internet then ... late Jan, early Feb 1899 AN and a possible snow coming ... LOL ... :eek:

Nice. Thanks Phil.

with no human input today, this is just due to the models not seeing the cold plunge through the southeast yet..looks about the same on the 8-14 day also. Will be interesting to see how it looks Monday when humans make it
610temp.new.gif

Completely fine with me. I think you missed my point. I expect the pattern to develop eventually close to what the 00z GEM showed and looking at ANY operational model right now for that period is completely useless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but about 7-10 days from the January arctic blast, a lot of the op runs were showing horrible runs with dominant SE ridge, but about once or twice a cycle, they would show a blockbuster cold shot!? Most of these model runs are just showing SE ridge and cold not making it to the SE?

We must remember that to say this is a La Nina so..... is WAY too broad a brush to paint on the weather. A strong La Nina would argue strongly for a warm and dry winter. This winter has been anything but that. A weak La Nina (which this is) can produce a variety of outcomes. One being cold and snowy (which we have seen). To have an expectation for February based on "this is a La Nina" is likely to be about as accurate as a coin flip.
Another thing to beware of is relying too heavily on one index. MJO looks to get in favorable position for us in February, but I have seen many winter expectations for winter weather based strongly a favorable MJO outlook crash and burn. My confidence in a solid February is based on a combination of strong signals for -EPO, +PNA, -AO as we head into February. That combined with the MJO outlook and the likelihood of there being a ton of artic air on our side of the globe has me very optimistic for us to see more cold and snow before the winter is over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but about 7-10 days from the January arctic blast, a lot of the op runs were showing horrible runs with dominant SE ridge, but about once or twice a cycle, they would show a blockbuster cold shot!? Most of these model runs are just showing SE ridge and cold not making it to the SE?

Another problem is people are using the 500mb anomaly charts and assuming red is ridging when in actuality it isnt.

Just broad brushing it (comparing the actual ridge/trough maps), the Happy Hour run looks a bit better ridge wise.

Back