• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

I’m sure this belongs in banter and the 18z says game on at hr 372
b7abdaf31f9adbcddeb971a9e28fcaa5.jpg
dbdb38385dedbddc6231661920f91f31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah there could be a lot of wild swings given the tight gradient in temperature across the contiguous US. Even in February 1989, during what's easily among the strongest La Ninas on record, where we had 2 big storms show up in NC, temperatures soared into the low-mid 80s less than 2 days before a big storm showed up on the 17th & 18th, which was followed by yet another storm several days later.
View attachment 3494
View attachment 3493
Oh yeah, Feb 1989 was crazy indeed. The first of those storms was a major icestorm down here into SC too. As far that 2nd storm we ended up with around 2-3 inches on the ground, but I imagine up to 6-8 inches actually fell. Warm ground temps melted a lot of it as it fell. Earlier in that month we had temps in the 80's followed by very cold temps for 1 morning. Got down to near 10 here.

I wish I was better at poking around weather history, but given that wunderground says that my area had snow on 2/23/89...
Yep. Most of SC had snow that day. Oddly enough the Augusta GA area got more than most of upstate SC.

Not that it matters as it will likely be entirely different on the 0z run, but the GFS kind of looks like what we've had some of the old schoolers on this board have said that have sparked up snow. An old frontal boundary eventually moving and becoming something really nice.

That said, 384 hour fantasy land.

I wish I was better at poking around weather history, but given that wunderground says that my area had snow on 2/23/89...

It did snow in your area, too. I remember the storm fairly well. It started snowing while we were in school (I believe the period before lunch). Several students went to the window, and the flakes got larger and the intensity was increasing.

Shortly afterwards, we received word that school would soon be releasing. By the time, the storm departed; we had 4 1/2-5 inches of snow.

It did snow in your area, too. I remember the storm fairly well. It started snowing while we were in school (I believe the period before lunch). Several students went to the window, and the flakes got larger and the intensity was increasing.

Shortly afterwards, we received word that school would soon be releasing. By the time, the storm departed; we had 4 1/2-5 inches of snow.
That storm was weird. If I remember right, Augusta GA and Columbia were both in the upper 20's, while most of upstate SC stood in the mid 30's. One reason I guess that most of our snow melted as it fell.

Raleigh 6"+ SN/IP dates in February
(16 storms): pretty well spread out except a little quiet Feb. 2-5:

2/1, 2/6, 2/6-7, 2/9-10, 2/9-10, 2/10-11, 2/11-13, 2/14, 2/15-6, 2/17-8, 2/18-9, 2/21-2, 2/25-6, 2/26, 2/26-7, 2/28,
No coincidence my bday is 2/4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haha, I asked my dad about this period and he said "I don't remember", of course he's also insisted before that when he moved down south from Ohio (which was shortly after 1973) that he was hearing about a "big snow" that happened in 1974 on the radio.

But yeah, from what I'm reading here apparently KAGS has the same issue too with not being able to record liquid equivalent well. I think this area had 3 1/2-4 inches of snow.

I feel like we've done this same thing quite a bit the last few years big ridge goes up in the Pacific models try to drive the energy into the SW and we get a SE ridge. Then as we step forward in time the trough axis is farther east and the SE ridge is muted an off shore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Excellent post with historical data for Greensboro, NC. Some great years and some duds. Definitely one of the better spots to be in the SE outside the mountains.

image.png I Love me some DT!! Aleeeeeet

Back