• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

The CPC look over "Normal" is not bad; and it does look good for the Upper South. These Friday maps have human input, correct?
Yes, but they have been trending colder by the day...obviously Feb 1,2 won't be as cold as the last end of that period, but it's been showing the trend each day of colder farther southeast.

Lol so this is what it's like to get underneath 474 dm thicknesses, the tropopause is virtually at the ground lmao. Using the 2 PVU surface some over eastern Canada dip below 600 hPa.

Unknown.png

slight risk of hazardous cold now into Alabama Feb. 3-9
temp_probhazards_d8_14_contours.png

Irrespective of exactly how strong the SE US ridge is and whether it gets seriously cold in the SE US or not, this pattern in general looks like a ton of fun for whoever gets stuck near the middle. I'd take a look like this every day of the week knowing there could be some severe weather/tornadoes attached to it to chase haha. :weenie::weenie:
eps_t850a_conus_45.png
eps_t850a_conus_57.png

Irrespective of exactly how strong the SE US ridge is and whether it gets seriously cold in the SE US or not, this pattern in general looks like a ton of fun for whoever gets stuck near the middle. I'd take a look like this every day of the week knowing there could be some severe weather/tornadoes attached to it to chase haha. :weenie::weenie:
View attachment 3491
View attachment 3490
I know what you mean,but why can't we get that in spring and summer instead of it just ruining our chances in winter? I'd be made if severe weather got in the way of winter storms. We get enough of that in the summer.We need a severe winter storm. Wait till then SMH.

I know what you mean,but why can't we get that in spring and summer instead of it just ruining our chances in winter? I'd be made if severe weather got in the way of winter storms. We get enough of that in the summer. Wait till then SMH.

Summer severe weather here is pretty benign in general w/ airmass, popcorn thunderstorms, the real fun where you can get widespread supercells and large-scale tornado outbreaks begins starting around February and this time of the year and goes til about June at the latest. The February 2008 super tuesday outbreak was a ton of fun to track.
Noaa-outbreak-graphic.png

I know what you mean,but why can't we get that in spring and summer instead of it just ruining our chances in winter? I'd be made if severe weather got in the way of winter storms. We get enough of that in the summer. Wait till then SMH.
Lol. There is just as great of a chance of severe as there is winter storms. Stop sweating the details of model runs that will keep changing.

I know what you mean,but why can't we get that in spring and summer instead of it just ruining our chances in winter? I'd be made if severe weather got in the way of winter storms. We get enough of that in the summer.We need a severe winter storm. Wait till then SMH.

I'm honestly just trying to keep my mind more open to all kinds of weather irrespective of their preferred time of the year so I'm less disgruntled. As much as I like cold and snow, I will not turn down a big severe weather outbreak if it came my way right now.

View attachment 3491
View attachment 3490
Wow ! Fab Feb looks like Flip flop Feb there! Ouch

Webber, those images will more than likely stir up some questions from Clayton here soon. Lol.
I beat you to
Summer severe weather here is pretty beign in general w/ airmass, popcorn thunderstorms, the real fun where you can get widespread supercell begins starting around February and this time of the year and goes til about June at the latest.
Eric, I meant I would be mad if severe weather got in the way of winter storms! I'm not talking about the fun of severe thunderstorms. SMH. We get enough severe weather all year round all across the country is what I mean. We don't want that now. There's never any winter storms in late spring/summer in the SE so I don't want to waste these ridiculously warm February's on thunderstorms. We need a cold, stormy February again. Screw this La Nina if it turns warm and we get screwed

Wow ! Fab Feb looks like Flip flop Feb there! Ouch

Yeah there could be a lot of wild swings given the tight gradient in temperature across the contiguous US. Even in February 1989, during what's easily among the strongest La Ninas on record, where we had 2 big storms show up in NC, temperatures soared into the low-mid 80s less than 2 days before a big storm showed up on the 17th & 18th, which was followed by yet another storm several days later.
February 17-19 1989 NC Snowmap.png
February 23-24 1989 NC Snowmap.png

The gfs continues to look much different vs Euro late next week with a stronger wave

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

This man over here talking about severe weather at a time when it could be cold and snowy when we all know we inevitably get some kind of severe weather in spring and summer! Are you kidding me?!
Well you were talking about the ridge earlier so he is just stating what is showing on the models. If there is a ridge yes there can be severe weather. But it wouldn't surprise me if things changed quite a bit after that. Just have to be patient!

View attachment 3491
View attachment 3490
Yeah could be a few really good gradient type systems with this pattern . At least itsbnot boring

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

I wish I was better at poking around weather history, but given that wunderground says that my area had snow on 2/23/89...

Back