• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

36/34 0.28". Already 8.46" on the year, about an inch and a half above normal for 2/22

I had something. Went to take kids to preschool this morning at 7:30 and it was raining. Hit the wipers and 2 streaks of left over frozen slush piled up. IT was 33 degrees

Perfectly sums up this winter.

Would like to hear from the mets and other knowledgeable weather folks on here to help me understand what factors were behind the historic cold air that was forced down into the mid-south this past week. Was a set of teleconnections that drove the bitter cold down? +PNA? -EPO? -NAO? -AO? Favorable phase of the MJO? Other factors? I've been looking for a push like this for a long time thinking this (bitter cold air in place) was really what we needed to score with snow and it proved true this time, but why did it (cold air) actually break loose and finally come down?

Would like to hear from the mets and other knowledgeable weather folks on here to help me understand what factors were behind the historic cold air that was forced down into the mid-south this past week. Was a set of teleconnections that drove the bitter cold down? +PNA? -EPO? -NAO? -AO? Favorable phase of the MJO? Other factors? I've been looking for a push like this for a long time thinking this (bitter cold air in place) was really what we needed to score with snow and it proved true this time, but why did it (cold air) actually break loose and finally come down?
Honestly was just the response to the SSWE back in early January, it took its time but it did its job, it’s definitely not overhyped, even if it didn’t effect areas East much, that cold was SSWE driven, and the super strong -AO

Oh boy, even colder rain coming on this GFS run. We need this wave over New Mexico to speed up more and to get a bigger slower vortex in the Lakes/New England to have any real shot to get something good in NC

gfs_z500a_us_fh78_trend.gif

Back