• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

I hate to be a debbie downer here but i can already see why most of NC will not get much if any snow. There is a rule that works really well. IF DC, BWI, NYC get snow from a low then it will be too warm to the south. GFS is already showing mixing for eastern NC. If the low heads up the coast then expect more and more rain to show up. The low needs to go ene from Hatteras, not nne or north. Look in future model runs to DC. The more they get the less we get and if the models end up showing DC with a foot+ then its rain for NC. I dont know alot but that 1039 high over OK is way too far south to do us good. It will just squirt the low more north and west.. Normally i am optimistic, but not with this look.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_43.png

Last edited:
I'd love to see Feb 1973 v2.0 in today's warmer/wetter world. More vapor to be fluxed around amps the wave, increases the theoretical snow ceiling, and shift the axis slightly further NW ?
I am telling ya.......I am not saying we have a repeat of FEB 73, but to me the pattern favors a deep south almost board-wide hit!!

Yeah, as you said earlier most major snow events in the southeast are going to have major ice involved with it as well. Honestly I didn’t so much mind the sleet that I got during the February 2014 storm... it helped keep that on the ground for days even though temperatures warmed up into the 50s just a couple days after. Also as good as February 2004 was for me, it even ended with a period of sleet at the end.
Yeah it’s almost inevitable that we are gonna have sleet at some point in every major storm that comes along. I’ve come to accept it and personally don’t mind it too much as long as it comes in moderation. Sleet honestly isn’t as bad as many make it out to be, sleet leads to crunchier snow when you walk thru it and knocks a lot of any pre existing wet snow off trees and power lines, limiting the potential for power outages

I hate to be a debbie downer here but i can already see why most of NC will not get much if any snow. There is a rule that works really well. IF DC, BWI, NYC get snow from a low then it will be too warm to the south. GFS is already showing mixing for eastern NC. If the low heads up the coast then expect more and more rain to show up. The low needs to go ene from Hatteras, not nne or north.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_43.png
Ughhhh maybe for Wilmington but the other 2/3 of the state would be fine even with the NW trend

You guys know that KATL, during the blizzard of 1993 had only 4 paltry inches, where I lived at the time in Dunwoody, we had 17 inches and 5 foot drifts. The readings at KATL are always not ever really representative of the entire Metro. If this comes to fruition then the KATL curse will be broken....HMMM

Back