• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

grit, Is there significance in the 552 opening up like that and encompassing the sw?
The closer together the southern wave and 50/50 low are the better the cold air feed will be. We can't have the 50/50 sliding out quickly as that is our source for cold air. With some larger changes, I suppose we get drop some of that 50/50 low down into the southern wave, but that seems like a longer shot at the moment.

The closer together the southern wave and 50/50 low are the better the cold air feed will be. We can't have the 50/50 sliding out quickly as that is our source for cold air. With some larger changes, I suppose we get drop some of that 50/50 low down into the southern wave, but that seems like a longer shot at the moment.
Like the 12z ukmet , right

500hv.conus.png

Im just zapping through, playing catch up at lunch. But I swear the canadian is like 12-18 hours slower with wave than other modeling. I stand to be corrected, but might explain why its a shade warmer. less on cold feed. I could be off. Anyway thanks for pbp

The 12z ICON seems to have a late phase that really helps suck in colder air from the northern cut off.

That's actually what the 00z Euro showed as well it was just really weak/warm with the northern cut off and also weak with the southern cutoff... which resulted in no precip for our area, and slightly warmer temps,(but still probably cold enough for snow if the southern low was stronger).

A lot of these other foreign models are also showing the late phase.

If the 12z Euro can stick with that same idea of a late phase, but trend a little stronger/further north with the southern low(which has been the clear trend at 12z)... it could be a really good run for us.

By shifting the whole construct east and putting the main ridge axis over the lakes you start running the potential to lock into more of a classic CAD scenario. That said a 1025 high that is likely a sign of a polar pacific airmass and not really one that's going to drive single digit dews deep into the regionec-fast_mslpa_us_fh120_trend.gif

Back