• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

I’m sure those of you that have been here long enough have seen plenty of ULL’s decide to scoot on out faster than they need too. But have any of you ever see one trend back? Just curious if it’s even possible.

I’m sure those of you that have been here long enough have seen plenty of ULL’s decide to scoot on out faster than they need too. But have any of you ever see one trend back? Just curious if it’s even possible.
Honestly, it’s not a stretch. Normally the models do always try to push a big low over the NE out too fast and then slowly trend it back.

Is our ULL being pushed out of the way by a HP? Could that actually benefit us more in the long run if it’s strong enough and in the right spot?

Is our ULL being pushed out of the way by a HP? Could that actually benefit us more in the long run if it’s strong enough and in the right spot?
Is that HP centered in the Ohio river valley? If so that's close to helping...a lot

Reactions: SD
As long as it's passing to your south you are in the game here to some degree. Doesn't mean it works out but this isn't a situation where we are seeing an earlier more robust phasing trend where it's likely game over and you know it. Given how the models handle the polar pattern I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see eventual more positive trends but obviously that's not guaranteed. It's just hard to write this off with its track on the models when all we are missing on the gfs is a handful of degrees of cooler air or better moist advection in the euro

January 2022 did

Imo the euro isn't that bad. Yes you can look at the products and say meh warm and s but the track of the mid level features isn't far from a classic state wide snow event. What bugs me about the euro is no matter what it does in the NE and into SE CAN it taps the shortwave into that trough and we stick in a dry N to NE flow in the mid levels, hard to precipitate with a deep N/NE flow like that. Historically I would have said euro is too dry to the north and NW but those are old model problems and I'm not sure in 2024 it still exists
GFS definitely seem to handle the 15th-16th storm best

EPS surprisingly still has something but man it’s getting worse and worse. View attachment 144110
Real question is whether it's many small or one big storm out of all its members. If that's all from 4 members yeah this one's all gone. Otherwise I have to wonder what it's doing upstream to cause snow.

Real question is whether it's many small or one big storm out of all its members. If that's all from 4 members yeah this one's all gone. Otherwise I have to wonder what it's doing upstream to cause snow.
I wouldn't say it's all gone at day 6/7 but it's not promising.

In order for a CAD to actually pump in something more colder, with the look now, need another trailing piece of Arctic energy behind the initial/first one that digs in the NE, the GFS is a example of that, has another trailing S/W exiting Hudson Bay at day 6.5, which sort of refreshes the feed. with the amount of time we have and how bad models are struggling in Canada, it’s possible I guess AB51D902-DE80-4CB6-850F-BD06D95213AD.png

EPS surprisingly still has something but man it’s getting worse and worse. View attachment 144110
speaks to the latent potential this event has and why there was a palpable buzz yesterday. the cold source not hanging around is such a kick in the gonads. as griteater pointed out earlier, the ULL and circulations breezing past at their low latitude is rare and hugely beneficial to us and it would be, ahem, "character building" to have an all rain event in that set up

In order for a CAD to actually pump in something more colder, with the look now, need another trailing piece of Arctic energy behind the initial/first one that digs in the NE, the GFS is a example of that, has another trailing S/W exiting Hudson Bay at day 6.5, which sort of refreshes the feed. with the amount of time we have and how bad models are struggling in Canada, it’s possible I guess View attachment 144112
Can see the omega ridge needs to weaken

IMG_0506.jpeg

Back