• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

I've noticed over the last few days, the models have tended to flip back to more progressive looks w/ the 50-50 low on the 6z & 18z runs, only to reverse it and continue the digging/slowing trend on the following 0z + 12z runs. Might have something to do w/ assimilating new, fresh RAOB data on the 0z + 12z suites being able to more adequately capture the TPV lobe diving out of Canada.
I don’t know if you saw the graph I posted earlier but 00z ENS means aren’t scoring as good as 12z. I don’t know if that translates to the off hours

It doesn’t matter. The models are bad but not that bad. Winter storms don’t just sneak up on you anymore. If the models aren’t showing anything it’s because there’s nothing there.
radiosonde ascents help validate better predictability

It doesn’t matter. The models are bad but not that bad. Winter storms don’t just sneak up on you anymore. If the models aren’t showing anything it’s because there’s nothing there.
Last year none of the models saw our biggest snow event in January 24-48 hours out. Only the RGEM had a clue .. we trended from nothing to widespread snow at 24 degrees. Models can certainly still get things wrong at this range but in this scenario I’m not really big on seeing a big ice storm unless we get some pretty drastic changes over the next day or so .. onset ice out west to a dreaded cold rain for all looks to be in the cards here

LOL, yes they do, whether it's colder air moving farther south than models say, or path of the low, yes they do fail often.

Back