• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

LOL, yes they do, whether it's colder air moving farther south than models say, or path of the low, yes they do fail often.

I've seen the models nail the path and marginal temperatures (34-36 degrees) for a Coastal Storm forecasted to transition precip. to all rain (39-41) a couple days before the event, but fails to depict the dynamic cooling that pulls down your temperature way faster than the mid and lower level warn air can filter-in from the Ocean (23-26). Now you're all snow. Maybe a ping or two from sleet pellets. The forecast goes from 1-3" to 8-18" in NE NJ, and Long Island is sitting at a balmy 45 degrees.

Time to get the clubs out. Seriously in jeopardy of 1st ever shutout unless a March miracle. From 18Z. EL- NINO CONDITIONS TO CONTINUE ACROSS SE.
90 degree cart rule in effect for Feb.
06z will probably be major Ice storm on the GFS. lol
Edit: 00Z CMC = Sucky Sucky
Wow just WOW what a winter we have going...

Last edited:
06z will probably be major Ice storm on the GFS. lol
Edit: 00Z CMC = Sucky Sucky
Wow just WOW what a winter we have going...
In 25 years of business we have never had a winter where we never put out brine or salt. Still a ways to go but this could be the first. Jever thought in a winter where we hit 3 degree lows we would never see snow or ice storms

In 25 years of business we have never had a winter where we never put out brine or salt. Still a ways to go but this could be the first. Jever thought in a winter where we hit 3 degree lows we would never see snow or ice storms
Yea my bar has been lowered to where If the mulch and trash can lid get covered with something besides frost, I'll cash out and call it a win, cause the streak stayed alive.

The 6z GFS is the ultimate TROLL, lol. Cold Rain Friday, Gets cold enough for frozen Sat into Sunday but dries up. Then late Sunday as the cold pulls out, it whips up a big coastal and throws moisture back over us for mid 30's rain again. Its really comical at this point, just have to laugh at it, with it.

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Canadian though slaps a few hours of ice at I 95 before cold air retreats:

prateptype-imp.conus.png

Only we would figure out how to get 1040+ HP with a record breaking 50/50 low and the coldest air in the northern hemisphere not only on outside of the planet but in our source region and manage to get it in between S/Ws. It’s almost comical at this point.

I’ll be honest, once we get towards March by enthusiasm for cold and snow is gone. You get a whole new set up obstacles to fight through on top of the usual stuff and even if you do score, it’ll be gone in 48 hours tops. February is a wash. Our only hope is about a 10 day window likely at the tail end of February through the first week of March and that’s probably it. Then we transition to the typical cold spring.

If only we could figure out how they do it to our West. Stall an Arctic boundary & just wait for the moisture. Basically a less intense version of 2021 going on. They get thunderstorms of sleet while we get dense fog advisories. This Winter acts like it’s an act of Congress to connect at least a few dots to get at minimum a Winter weather advisory.
The La Nina party is still in control.

Time to get the clubs out. Seriously in jeopardy of 1st ever shutout unless a March miracle. From 18Z. EL- NINO CONDITIONS TO CONTINUE ACROSS SE.
90 degree cart rule in effect for Feb.
View attachment 131891

Can you imagine what it would be like if El Niño actually returns? More rain than we’ve had…lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only we would figure out how to get 1040+ HP with a record breaking 50/50 low and the coldest air in the northern hemisphere not only on outside of the planet but in our source region and manage to get it in between S/Ws. It’s almost comical at this point.

I’ll be honest, once we get towards March by enthusiasm for cold and snow is gone. You get a whole new set up obstacles to fight through on top of the usual stuff and even if you do score, it’ll be gone in 48 hours tops. February is a wash. Our only hope is about a 10 day window likely at the tail end of February through the first week of March and that’s probably it. Then we transition to the typical cold spring.

With how topsy turvy it’s been it is not out of the question this pattern persists in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best shot for anything during February will likely be the same areas of Ark, W TN, northern Mississippi, N Louisiana, and CAD areas. CAD areas almost certainly would be ice if we can get anything at all. The only positive from ensembles is we are going to keep swinging Atlantic troughs through behind the SER so a lot of CAD days are likely and you maybe able to sneak something in that type of pattern.

Yea my bar has been lowered to where If the mulch and trash can lid get covered with something besides frost, I'll cash out and call it a win, cause the streak stayed alive.

The 6z GFS is the ultimate TROLL, lol. Cold Rain Friday, Gets cold enough for frozen Sat into Sunday but dries up. Then late Sunday as the cold pulls out, it whips up a big coastal and throws moisture back over us for mid 30's rain again. Its really comical at this point, just have to laugh at it, with it.

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Canadian though slaps a few hours of ice at I 95 before cold air retreats:

prateptype-imp.conus.png
yep I moved on from winter but really need some dry weeks to dry up mud. If we get lucky for winter weather we will be ready but not losing sleep on model runs anytime soon especially outside of 5 days or even closer

2012 was the last winter that was this bad...and even that winter we got this below. But, that seems insurmountable looking at the pattern setting up.

View attachment 131897
They're probably not going to get any better from here either. It doesn't matter if it's La Nina, El Nino, 4th year Nina, Nada, Nino^-1 West, or anything else. Every winter is above normal and you have to scratch and claw to even get an event to track, much less come to fruition. We spend the bulk of our climo-favored time +7 now, with maybe some mercy cold late in the season and through the Spring.

I used to enjoy heading into Winter and looked forward to all of the seasonal forecasts. Not anymore. It's simply just foolish to produce a cold outlook anymore. There seem to be literally no combination of variables that lead to anything lower than maybe a -1 for the winter. It sucks.

The La Nina party is still in control.

Doesn't feel much like la Nina. I'm not sure I remember a winter so wet. Certainly not typical I don't think. For some underlying reason, conditions just want to se ridge and western though the last several years, and I'm not sure it's la Nina. My guess is next year we Nino. And we get more of the same. But thats my hunch.

They're probably not going to get any better from here either. It doesn't matter if it's La Nina, El Nino, 4th year Nina, Nada, Nino^-1 West, or anything else. Every winter is above normal and you have to scratch and claw to even get an event to track, much less come to fruition. We spend the bulk of our climo-favored time +7 now, with maybe some mercy cold late in the season and through the Spring.

I used to enjoy heading into Winter and looked forward to all of the seasonal forecasts. Not anymore. It's simply just foolish to produce a cold outlook anymore. There seem to be literally no combination of variables that lead to anything lower than maybe a -1 for the winter. It sucks.

The good news is we save a lot of time model watching, this is the probably the least amount of time I have spent on looking at models in a winter...ever.

But, we appear to be headed to our typical Feb pattern, maybe even worse.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_10day-6419200.pnggNfK5vwor8.png

Back