• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

12z EPS looks good to me. Slow and dig the 50-50 low a little more, and the surface high will intensify + shift further to the west. As things stand now, shaping up to be one of the bigger "hybrid" - in situ-based CADs I can remember.

Insane to see a 1033mb sfc high right over the piedmont of NC on an ensemble mean this far out. We'd be happy to have a high like that over New England in a CAD event. Testament to how cold this air mass is gonna be, especially for the CAD source regions to our NE.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
12z EPS looks good to me. Slow and dig the 50-50 low a little more, and the surface high will intensify + shift further to the west. As things stand now, shaping up to be one of the bigger "hybrid" - in situ-based CADs I can remember.

Insane to see a 1033mb sfc high right over the piedmont of NC on an ensemble mean this far out. We'd be happy to have a high like that over New England in a CAD event. Testament to how cold this air mass is gonna be, especially for the CAD source regions to our NE.

View attachment 131858

View attachment 131857
Will that 1033 be very deep or is it still quite shallow despite the pressure and location?

EPS right now is a mainly nuisance type event per it’s mean, but with that trend to a slower SE Canada vortex, if our wave speeds up just a bit, or the vortex trends stronger, a more moderate ice threat is possible. It’s bleak on the euro models but it’s a 4-6 hour faster wave away from a more GFS-GEFS-CMCE solution honestly3AFA5B94-9463-4642-BAF1-3D3C45329764.png

I noticed a few days ago, the potential and to keep an eye on it. Even if the models aren't showing something, this is the kind of situation that will sneak up on you fast.

The models have not been very good with moisture timing for a while now, as icing on the cake. IMBY, moisture has been arriving much earlier than globals have been showing so it just makes sense for them to not handle this so great either.

SE can vortex 3 run trend, we’re giving ourselves more room and a bigger window with this trend View attachment 131860

You can see pretty clearly in this loop as the vortex backs up, the waves upstream of it slow down and crumple. Nice temporary atmospheric traffic jam aloft over Atlantic Canada.

View attachment 131864
That 50/50 is serious and the trend of a further press SE is big. Need to keep this going. I suspect we will start seeing the HP slowing up in future runs
18Z has the SE Canadian vortex even further SE and then parks a 1045Mb HP over the Mid-Atlantic. Cold, but the shortwave upstream looks rather anemic this run. Cloudy and cold?
icon_mslp_wind_us_40.png

I’m getting crippling ice cold rain vibes from this system. Pattern is too reliant on every piece fitting in place like a jigsaw puzzle. More likely things aren’t going to fit. Time to wait for late February and early march
IDK…this just looks like to me that we’re gonna have plenty of cold air to work with which is always the first key. That 18z GFS almost looks like that PV is just too strong and wanting to squash everything which is surprising with how the SER is flexing this week.

I've noticed over the last few days, the models have tended to flip back to more progressive looks w/ the 50-50 low on the 6z & 18z runs, only to reverse it and continue the digging/slowing trend on the following 0z + 12z runs. Might have something to do w/ assimilating new, fresh RAOB data on the 0z + 12z suites being able to more adequately capture the TPV lobe diving out of Canada.

I think it's going to be a while before we have any idea how the storm system will shake out. The range of solutions is just so wide right now for how the trough evolves after the pacific storm squishes across the ridge and through the rockies. I don't see that being settled anytime soon.

Back