• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

To me, a layman weenie, the cold is just not in time; and not far enough east to dig and CAD east of the mountains.
Timing differences. That's almost always going to be the case when you're a week or more out. I know some need to see the perfect pattern before even considering wintry weather, but the fact is, most of our winter events come in imperfect patterns and are largely a function of fortunate timing.

A misjudged piece of energy in the flow a few days out actually can make a big difference in how things play out, particularly when you have very cold air nearby.

Is the pattern ideal? No. Is the threat of a big winter storm extremely high? No. Would we be enthusiastic at all if all of the cold air was on the other side of the globe? No. But when we were all promised the big torch and we actually end up with the ability to discuss a potential winter event or two, I guess that's a good thing and something most weather enthusiasts who visit weather forums enjoy.

Timing differences. That's almost always going to be the case when you're a week or more out. I know some need to see the perfect pattern before even considering wintry weather, but the fact is, most of our winter events come in imperfect patterns and are largely a function of fortunate timing.

A misjudged piece of energy in the flow a few days out actually can make a big difference in how things play out, particularly when you have very cold air nearby.

Is the pattern ideal? No. Is the threat of a big winter storm extremely high? No. Would we be enthusiastic at all if all of the cold air was on the other side of the globe? No. But when we were all promised the big torch and we actually end up with the ability to discuss a potential winter event or two, I guess that's a good thing and something most weather enthusiasts who visit weather forums enjoy.

That is the cool thing, lol... the coldest air in the hemisphere is close by in eastern Canada. Hope we can tap into it the next few weeks.

I completely think something can happen here. I just don't like the current looks. Hopefully the cold gets ahead of the shortwave more and the timing improves.

It is just too progressive with the lobe in Canada. Blocking off the coast of Canada is weak and to the east. Cold air doesn't come in south and west enough. No problem having some SE ridge if there was more push from the North. Unless something slows the northern stream down cold air won't get south. Trends are not our friends right now!

At least the Euro is showing something now. I think that last op run was better for folks in the northern half of NC to see snow compared to its previous run. GFS is going to go back and forth of course. The good thing is we have an actual threat inside 7 days for a change.

Best I can tell on crappy free 06z EPS maps out to 144, SER a tick stronger, cold push a tick north, not good sign.... need a turnaround on the 12z runs today
What has this season brought us and why should we expect it to change? Just not enough cold east of the Mississippi this year and no blocking so everything is so transient no cold can lock in.

It is just too progressive with the lobe in Canada. Blocking off the coast of Canada is weak and to the east. Cold air doesn't come in south and west enough. No problem having some SE ridge if there was more push from the North. Unless something slows the northern stream down cold air won't get south. Trends are not our friends right now!
I think the more doable way to save the day is for the ULL out west to dig further south into northern Mexico with more separation and stronger which would slow the eastward progression while creating more confluence in the Midwest and NE inducing a stronger HP for a legitimate CAD. Unfortunately, the opposite has been the trend of late.

eps_z500a_namer_32.png

This is a pretty good setup with this look on the 12z run on the 25th. This is the 6z feb 2 forecast.

eps_z500a_namer_25.png

This looks hopeless to me for all but maybe Virginia. This is the forecast for the same 6z feb 2. It is 144 hrs out, so a lot can change, but the blocking in eastern Canada is trending worse.

Great trend with the 12z ICON with the PV lobe... bad trend with the s/w out west though... too fast and gets squashed. I'll take this over the way stuff was trending overnight though.

View attachment 131488View attachment 131489
If we trend this way and get a more traditional overrunning setup, then you can bet on a "NW" trend as their will be more precip on the NW side than depicted and likely FGEN forcing early on. This is one way to get snow at least for a little while before a switch over to ice.

Ill be interested to see the 500 vort map for hour 240 from the Canadian and Euro Op again today. Both where really close to shooting off the fireworks. The GFs at 0z and 6z is vastly different ( shockingly ) for the sme time frame. The window was Friday afternoon through Monday from the Cold. Either we where gonna get a hard press from the PV or catch a HP sliding in place right on its heels. That timing has stayed the course. The SW energy coming out way earlier/faster is what's hurting this fickle set-up. Just not sure how we can get the SW energy to slow down/ reverse its trend. Maybe dig and separate more. Can't believe I'm sitting here chasing a storm and rooting for SW energy to eject latter. Its always the opposite . The times we have begged for a faster ejection trend and never got one. now the one time we need it, no dice .

Favoring I-40-VA with this setup. We’re speeding up the shortwave which is no bueno, not a fan of rain to snow setups. We need a deeper digging cold vortex, slower S/W, and higher heights trailing the TPV
I don’t think that area is really favored it’s very close to a cold rain for much of the bottom half of Virginia.

Back