• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

Well, the 12Z EPS is not at all giving in in the 11-15 day period. So, the stark contrast to the GEPS/GEFS persists with it having near normal SE temps then vs the much warmer than normal on both the 12Z GEPS and GEFS. This EPS run maintains strong blocks in the Greenland, -AO, and especially the -EPO position. However, it also maintains a -PNA and a SE Ridge block in the Atlantic. So, that SER/-PNA still prevents the SE from getting cold.

Well, the 12Z EPS is not at all giving in in the 11-15 day period. So, the stark contrast to the GEPS/GEFS persists with it having near normal SE temps then vs the much warmer than normal on both the 12Z GEPS and GEFS. This EPS run maintains strong blocks in the Greenland, -AO, and especially the -EPO position. However, it also maintains a -PNA and a SE Ridge block in the Atlantic. So, that SER/-PNA still prevents the SE from getting cold.

Tbh I’m siding with the eps, just think geps/gefs is overdoing things

I think we have to hang our hats on a little bit of ice on the 10th. Because that’s probably the last threat of winter for most people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge on eps is slightly more east in AK, looks more like a classic -EPO pattern for the US, looks pretty different from the gefs 5AFB5880-3B4F-40A7-AFBB-537494CA3E73.jpeg6852E32D-1642-4665-936F-1636F2202B38.jpeg

The EPS may look better than the GEPS/GEFS right now, but it'll eventually show much warmer solutions if we keep trending towards a lifting trough over the east coast of Russia like it has been over successive runs lately. We need a stout North Atlantic block to save us and squelch the WAR/SER. Given our history w/ getting a -NAO of late, good luck with that...

We're all punting until at least the 3rd week of February w/ this kind of pattern, 2-3 weeks of legitimate snowfall climo at most would be left for most of the board.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_npac_fh192_trend (1).gif

The EPS may look better than the GEPS/GEFS right now, but it'll eventually show much warmer solutions if we keep trending towards a lifting trough over the east coast of Russia like it has been over successive runs lately. We need a stout North Atlantic block to save us and squelch the WAR/SER. Given our history w/ getting a -NAO of late, good luck with that...

We're all punting until at least the 3rd week of February w/ this kind of pattern, 2-3 weeks of legitimate snowfall climo at most would be left for most of the board.

View attachment 14785

Looks like I’ll have to take my bets on a super rare every 100 year ULL for snow this March ???‍♂️

Even at hr 216 whose 420 hr didn't look terribly atrocious yesterday is headed the wrong way w/ the trough lifting towards NE Siberia much quicker, dampening the Alaskan ridge and allowing the trough over the central US to pull back closer to the Rockies, which obviously gives the SE US ridge more breathing room to expand right back over us... Sigh.

We really, really need this trough over the Kamchatka Peninsula to dig s.t. it increases the sinuosity and meridional extent & amplitude of the downstream waves to give us any glimmer of hope in the longer term because I'm personally not counting on the Atlantic to save us until it's too warm to snow even in a perfect pattern.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_npac_fh216_trend (4).gif

Even at hr 216 whose 420 hr didn't look terribly atrocious yesterday is headed the wrong way w/ the trough lifting towards NE Siberia much quicker, dampening the Alaskan ridge and allowing the trough over the central US to pull back closer to the Rockies, which obviously gives the SE US ridge more breathing room to expand right back over us... Sigh.

We really, really need this trough over the Kamchatka Peninsula to dig s.t. it increases the sinuosity and meridional extent & amplitude of the downstream waves to give us any glimmer of hope in the longer term because I'm personally not counting on the Atlantic to save us until it's too warm to snow even in a perfect pattern.

View attachment 14786

Even the euro is heading the wrong direction, big oof
EE4F5932-D433-4D81-935A-C60721151A1C.gif

Well. The long range Winter forecasts are toast.

It's raining here today. There was a 30% chance of rain (officialy forecast) and I think that was given because the Euro had small amounts of moisture through here.

The Icon and RGEM were the best as of 00z forcasting more moisture here. Even the HRRR, the 3KM NAM, the GFS, as of 12z + confined moisture to the Eastern sections.

My point is, American models suck. They are currently wrong, and not even initializing correctly with real time observations. Pretty damn sad if you ask me.

View attachment 14786

For the laymen like myself, can you explain in relatively simple terms what actually drives what in the northern hemisphere? That’s always something I wonder about. Is there even a simple answer? Is every case different? With Eurasia the largest continent and the Pacific the largest ocean, do they tend to drive things more often than not? Or is that irrelevant? I think JB has hinted at that idea in the past though he usually mainly emphasizes SST anomalies. Or are there typically different areas in the northern hemisphere competing against each other? In this case, where is the strength and persistence of the SE ridge/WAR originating? Could it actually be due to the very warm SW Atlantic/+AMO as per the image below? If so, could the SER/WAR be the main driver of other parts of the world over the next 2 weeks?

3E3DCBB6-D576-4951-9C62-7E7BE6D9E6B1.png

For the laymen like myself, can you explain in relatively simple terms what actually drives what in the northern hemisphere? That’s always something I wonder about. Is there even a simple answer? Is every case different? With Eurasia the largest continent and the Pacific the largest ocean, do they tend to drive things more often than not? Or is that irrelevant? I think JB has hinted at that idea in the past though he usually mainly emphasizes SST anomalies. Or are there typically different areas in the northern hemisphere competing against each other? In this case, where is the strength and persistence of the SE ridge/WAR originating? Could it actually be due to the very warm SW Atlantic/+AMO as per the image below? If so, could the SER/WAR be the main driver of other parts of the world over the next 2 weeks?

View attachment 14788

That can apply that to me aswell, what drives these things, want to learn why and how

View attachment 14788

In the mid-latitudes at the scales we're concerned with, the atmosphere largely drives the ocean thru wind stress induced turbulent mixing and overturning of the upper ocean, the depth of this upper ocean overturning circulation is also known as the Ekman layer. The secondary feedback related to thermal damping many inherently and almost always incorrectly assume is the actual "driving force" behind said pattern at least in our part of the world plays second or third fiddle to planetary-scale waves forcing the ocean, the tropics are a much different story. The sea surface temperature anomalies you see in the mid and even high latitudes are more representative of integrated planetary-scale wave variability forcing mixing of the ocean rather than the sea surface temperature anomalies forcing said variability of the waves themselves. However this does occur but only to a small extent on the scales we're worried about (season-season/year-year)

Take a dead still pond. Throw a stone in it. Ripples. Throw another stone. More ripples. They intersect. Throw a 3rd stone. Now 3 sets of ripples intersect. Now toss a rock. Bigger ripples intersecting with the little ones. Now toss another stone. Small ripples. Now a slight breeze blows by. The ripple circles are not concentric. See that leaf floating on the pond? It moves in a seemingly random way with the ripples, but actually it's moving with the force of strongest motion.
Which rock or stone or series of rocks and a stone along with the breeze made that leaf move in the direction it does?

Weather ...

(In this little tale, the rocks and stones are models and their input; the breeze is what the models don't grasp)

Last edited:
In the mid-latitudes at the scales we're concerned with, the atmosphere largely drives the ocean thru wind stress induced turbulent mixing and overturning of the upper ocean, the depth of this upper ocean overturning circulation is also known as the Ekman layer. The secondary feedback related to thermal damping many inherently and almost always incorrectly assume is the actual "driving force" behind said pattern at least in our part of the world plays second or third fiddle to planetary-scale waves forcing the ocean, the tropics are a much different story. The sea surface temperature anomalies you see in the mid and even high latitudes are more representative of integrated planetary-scale wave variability forcing mixing of the ocean rather than the sea surface temperature anomalies forcing said variability of the waves themselves. However this does occur but only to a small extent on the scales we're worried about (season-season/year-year)

Thanks. So, it sounds like you’re saying the very warm SW Atlantic SSTs are only at best a secondary influence vs planetary scale waves (PSWs). So, I’ll ask you about the PSWs. I’m assuming you’re largely talking about upper level winds. If not, please correct me. But if so, what is driving what in the upper atmosphere right now to allow for the predicted strong SER, —PNA, and -EPO ridge? Where in the N Hem is the upper atmosphere causing this combo to be predicted? Is there a crucial part of the N Hem? I noticed you referring to a trough over E Asia. Are the upper winds over that region about to be a major driver now? If so, why would it be the major driver and the SE ridge or some other region not be the major driver, for example? And I do know that tropical forcings like MJO and ENSO are often critical. Are they still the main driver? Regardless, I’d still like to know why you just emphasized the E Asia trough.

Interesting development with the new gfs .. on the surface it may look eh ... but a very strong -NAO signal is replacing the very positive signal in previous runs ... that’s what I believe will end up taking over ... you can even see how the SER tries to flare up but keeps getting shunted further south as the -NAO and overall blocking takes over

Interesting development with the new gfs .. on the surface it may look eh ... but a very strong -NAO signal is replacing the very positive signal in previous runs ... that’s what I believe will end up taking over ... you can even see how the SER tries to flare up but keeps getting shunted further south as the -NAO and overall blocking takes over
I wouldn't take it seriously... anything past 5 days out... take it with a grain of salt....

GUYS WEENIE MAP ALERT FV3 GOES ABSOLUTLY INSANE

Attachments

• 5691005F-197B-4422-AB66-C8F2F5D4D735.jpeg
    5691005F-197B-4422-AB66-C8F2F5D4D735.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 150
Back