• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Seems like GEFS will spit out a run this like every other week so grain of salt.

View attachment 32134

Several big hits skewing that mean that Kylo posted. An active run nevertheless.
GEFSMA_prec_snens_384.png

Here is the snow mean w/no ice.
ff3f289a3ce2c01f88d2bde3c0da6ca4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the threats start showing up I look to see if the teles support this. The MJO moving from the circle to phase 2 and 3 as was posted earlier is a good look. The AO looks to stay positive in that timeframe (not good) and the PNA is positive (good) heading into Feb. Hopefully that can hold and the few members taking it negative hopefully wont verify. I really don't see overwhelming support for cold or warmth honestly.Screenshot_20200126-133012_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200126-132938_Chrome.jpg

Hopefully that Euro was a big ole' blip run. It decided to dump a big ULL in the west and pump an eastern ridge. If that big ULL is untrue, you can see the western ridge west of it.

Hopefully that Euro was a big ole' blip run. It decided to dump a big ULL in the west and pump an eastern ridge. If that big ULL is untrue, you can see the western ridge west of it.
Oh nelly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200126-135337.png
    Screenshot_20200126-135337.png
    975.5 KB · Views: 73
Hell I wouldn’t worry about a D10 look for now. Yes trends are important but the models are flopping around even in the D3-7 range. I don’t think I have seen so many different looks for a system at D3-7 then now. Euro is no different.

Euro firing warning shots for January pattern repeat. Looks similar to last nights run which was not good. But like @GeorgiaGirl said it could be out to lunch since it’s all contingent on dumping that ULL into the SW

Euro firing warning shots for January pattern repeat. Looks similar to last nights run which was not good. But like @GeorgiaGirl said it could be out to lunch since it’s all contingent on dumping that ULL into the SW
It’s all being pushed southward it’s transient with no staying power that ridge west of it moving east steadily and will slide that all down our way which is where I see our next storm threat

Holy -EPO!!!!!!!!!!!! Great for the upper Midwest/Plains (that's what -EPOs do), but would some of that make it down to the SE later or will it largely be resisted by a SER like sometimes happens? For most of the US, this was a significantly colder run vs the 0Z. But for the SE, it was closer to a wash with slightly colder 1-5, a bit warmer 6-10, and slightly colder 11-15. Fwiw, I still think 2/20-3/20 for a targeted 2-3 week cold dominated period.

1580067765541.png
1580067901918.png
1580068021387.png

Last edited:
I think part of the model mayhem has to do with how they're handling the strat in the long range, how they deal with the ridging that sandwiches the SPV. Because everything is so coupled, when you have the -EPO and NAO ridging, it might be more able affect the strat and vice versa? You can see it here as the yellows and oranges that correlate to the NAO and EPO regions in the arctic:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

12z Euro OP strat
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 2.48.48 PM

Looks like a warm pattern to me
Its 10 days away, this is what the euro had for Thursday when it was D10 now we are talking about an outside shot at snow. Its fine to say it looks warm 1 time but time after time after time is a little much. Add to it the pattern is highly chaotic and we are looking at some type of osten shift on horizon for better or worse and you still get these ugly runs.

Attachments

• ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11 (1).png
    ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11 (1).png
    154.9 KB · Views: 29
I think part of the model mayhem has to do with how they're handling the strat in the long range, how they deal with the ridging that sandwiches the SPV. Because everything is so coupled, when you have the -EPO and NAO ridging, it might be more able affect the strat and vice versa? You can see it here as the yellows and oranges that correlate to the NAO and EPO regions in the arctic:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

12z Euro OP strat
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 2.48.48 PM
That's a fairly ugly end of the run. All things being equal with the eamt event coming up along with the strat finally getting squeezed and possibly some Atlantic wave breaks who knows where we finally land.

Back