• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Looks like a warm pattern to me
From your recent posts, you appear to be a troll. You need to give some real analysis that adds to the weather discussion. This is your only warning. Further attempts to purposely post something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users will result in a permanent ban.

I know the folks on the warm train will show the day 15 pattern and hug it but when the day 15 pattern shows cold they say the models have been garbage in the extended.

Well this is solid entering Feb. Will see how this evolves once we get into Feb.

0DD4D7D1-265C-4766-9299-16C4358529AD.pngB5D2C042-F662-44B6-ACB7-D3DF375D20DB.png

I know the folks on the warm train will show the day 15 pattern and hug it but when the day 15 pattern shows cold they say the models have been garbage in the extended.

Well this is solid entering Feb. Will see how this evolves once we get into Feb.

View attachment 32168View attachment 32169

I don't know who you're referring to, but don't you think that an overall cold bias of all models the last few weeks+ is a good reason for these folks to think that a warm run has a better chance to verify more closely than a cold run? If not, why not?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a bunch of times, I'll never learn.

Regardless, I still think a BN dominated period (2-3 weeks) will finally reach the SE 2/20 or later. In the meantime, no extended torch is in sight, regardless. We'll be much better off the next few weeks than we were most of Dec-1/18 imo. The MJO forecasts are one of the reasons for this plus the other tellies are not nearly as bad as they were recently. The EPS HDDs nationally have been trending higher. So, the US as a whole is trending colder.

Last edited:

View attachment 32168View attachment 32169
I'm not honestly worried about a day 15 -EPO ruining our pattern. That feature has been a long range phantom all year. We may fail long range but that most likely wont be why.

I don't know who you're referring to, but don't you think that an overall cold bias of all models the last few weeks+ is a good reason for these folks to think that a warm run has a better chance to verify more closely than a cold run? If not, why not?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a bunch of times, I'll never learn.

Regardless, I still think a BN dominated period (2-3 weeks) will finally reach the SE 2/20 or later. In the meantime, no extended torch is in sight, regardless. We'll be much better off the next few weeks than we were most of Dec-1/18 imo. The MJO forecasts are one of the reasons for this plus the other tellies are not nearly as bad as they were recently. The EPS HDDs nationally have ben trending higher. So, the US as a whole is trending colder.

What do you mean by fooled? The models indicated a BN period after the 20th and we got that.

Yeah, the GEFS busted on the EPO forecast but EPS never bit.

Has it gone as planned...probably not but it hasn’t been as torched as some preach.

I get it, your biased warm, and maybe I’m biased cold. I appreciate everyone’s opinions.

AED9DEE5-33DE-40BE-8F4A-5DACA8C4DF0A.png4A4249AD-065C-4ED8-9ECB-544D81DFC53B.png

I'm still thinking that a phase could be possible for the 1st/2nd system. Today's 12z GFS OP looks (somewhat) similar to the Euro run from Friday's run, 0z, even up at 500mb (vort) The surface low is just faster and moves out before a phase could be initiated from today's 12z GFS OP. A quick tracking S/W is good, but if it moves too quick, that can also be bad. If a phase doesn't occur, there wouldn't be significant wrap around snow with this system for the Southeastern US. Another solution we could see is that, the northern stream trough could come down on the back side of the surface low, which would be a separate system. Either way, snowfall isn't out of the question for some parts of the Southeastern US during the 1st/2nd time window and possibly the 3rd. Timing will change as this is still beyond 5 days, there will be continuation of different solutions. Personally, I'm pulling for a phase!

12z GFS OP
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

0z Euro from Friday (01/24/20)

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus2.png

You've got some factors coming together as we roll into feb that will at least make things interesting. Like I said Friday the concern becomes evolving into the aleutian ridge west coast trough se ridge look but maybe we can play around with the pv enough we can actually get some high latitude blocking

Regardless, I still think a BN dominated period (2-3 weeks) will finally reach the SE 2/20 or later. In the meantime, no extended torch is in sight, regardless. We'll be much better off the next few weeks than we were most of Dec-1/18 imo. The MJO forecasts are one of the reasons for this plus the other tellies are not nearly as bad as they were recently. The EPS HDDs nationally have been trending higher. So, the US as a whole is trending colder.

The pattern flipped Jan18th. We are -1.3 BN @ GSO since then and look to stay neutral to slightly BN as we roll into Feb across the finish line March1. Winter was atrocious till jan18. But we have a different base state now.

What do you mean by fooled? The models indicated a BN period after the 20th and we got that.

Yeah, the GEFS busted on the EPO forecast but EPS never bit.

Has it gone as planned...probably not but it hasn’t been as torched as some preach.

I get it, your biased warm, and maybe I’m biased cold. I appreciate everyone’s opinions.

View attachment 32180View attachment 32181

I don't mean after the 20th. Indeed, it got cold 1/19+ as the models advertised. And the next 5 days look near normal, which has also been well predicted. So no cold bias there, either. Maybe even a slight warm bias for the SE for 1/19-31. But that's also cherry picking when the models haven't been too cold, which has obviously been rare this winter. Keep in mind that there has been a strong +AAM recently, which tends to be negatively correlated with a SER. Maybe that's what's needed for the models to not be cold biased in the SE?? But also keep in mind that the +AAM is forecasted to decline in the 6-15 day period. So, folks should imo be wary about the possible return of a stubborn SER in early Feb. Hopefully it won't happen, but even so, I can't see it being nearly as bad as it was 12/1-1/18 due mainly to better tellies than before.

Keeping this all in mind, do you have enough confidence to assume the cold bias is no longer relevant just because late January will turn out to have been not cold biased or maybe even slightly warm biased for a change?

Just because I recognize the cold bias of models and am not afraid to emphasize that (which has served me well time and time again) doesn't mean I'm warm biased. I always aim to be neutral even though I'd strongly prefer cold. If that make me seem warm biased to some, I can't help that.

View attachment 32198
This is certainly getting interesting
Colder this run due to more of a NS interaction, still no phase but if things trend colder this could still turn out to be a decent snow event.
022a511a5702b100f0f5ad6163f1fd8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Could someone please describe to me how a mow can go north then back to the south?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200126-174954.png
    Screenshot_20200126-174954.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20200126-175000.png
    Screenshot_20200126-175000.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
Gfs has no clue different outcome every run. But storm signal still very much there just don’t know what kind of storm it will be

Could someone please describe to me how a mow can go north then back to the south?
Is this a serious question or another troll post? I think I know the answer and @packfan98 has already issued a very friendly warning

Yes I'm trying to learn.
Ok, so look at the 1002 isobar line and how elongated it is. To me it is ripples of low pressure withing a broader area. So, it didn't move SW, it developed a new center there. But that's if you believe the GFS:) We would be better off with a more tightly wrapped up low.

Back