• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

I get it and it's the same for me. No complaints about my rain total but I would like to catch the core of one of these imby, if for nothing else than to satisfy my weather nerd. It's been a while since I've been dead center
Man the weather nerd part I get. I don't want/need any rain now but if a storm is coming I want to be dead center too. For that reason alone, otherwise if I could I'd deflect every raindrop your way

I get it and it's the same for me. No complaints about my rain total but I would like to catch the core of one of these imby, if for nothing else than to satisfy my weather nerd. It's been a while since I've been dead center
It's like waking up and seeing 3 inches of snow on the ground. You are happy you got it and it's much appreciated then you realize just a couple miles down the road got 8 inches and the pain and letdown sets in.

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since we have had a good rainfall here and the HRRR says we basically see none for the next 48 hours. The great wet is a no show here. The big heat is coming back and maybe we can somehow get a storm with that in about 10 days.

Last edited:
It's like waking up and seeing 3 inches of snow on the ground. You are happy you got it and it's much appreciated then you realize just a couple miles down the road got 8 inches and the pain and letdown sets in.
Welcome to SE Wake Co, just replace the 3 inches with a flake and two sleet pellets.

Im on the other side of the apps today near Johnson city. Pops couldnt handle the curves coming down from Boone, so went up to VA and cane dow I 81. Its been dry as well through sw VA back into TN. Fescue Brown. But they got rain all around this morning. Usually plush green in southern Apps during humid summer. Bout as brown as Ive ever seen it in summer

I'm beginning to wonder if Atlanta will hit 90 again this summer.
The airport certainly will many times. Now that our humidity and soil moisture are normal we shouldn’t see many, if any mid or high 90s. At least the stations that aren’t over 5 runways.

How on earth did this radar return produce thunder loud enough to rattle the china cabinet? Holy moly. These storms have been wild the last few days. Almost continuous lightning off to the east last night from 1045-midnight.

Attachments

• IMG_3968.png
    IMG_3968.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
For 2nd evening in a row and over last hour, my area is getting good rainfall from a series of thunderstorms. Heavier rates of rain today though yesterday’s still gave me ~1” due to long duration of moderate.

Further to the above post (also the lightning including nearby CTG strikes just now has become frequent):

FLOOD ADVISORY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
818 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2024

GAC051-210215-
/O.NEW.KCHS.FA.Y.0047.240721T0018Z-240721T0215Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
CHATHAM GA-
818 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2024

..FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1015 PM EDT THIS EVENING

* WHAT...FLOODING CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL IS EXPECTED.

* WHERE...A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST GEORGIA, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING
COUNTY, CHATHAM.

* WHEN...UNTIL 1015 PM EDT.

* IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- AT 816 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN DUE TO
THUNDERSTORMS. MINOR FLOODING IS ONGOING OR EXPECTED TO BEGIN
SHORTLY IN THE ADVISORY AREA. UP TO 1.5 INCHES OF RAIN HAVE
FALLEN.
- ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED
OVER THE AREA. THIS ADDITIONAL RAIN WILL RESULT IN MINOR
FLOODING, ESPECIALLY WITHIN DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH.

The rainfall here has really been adding up quickly. And still lots of lightning!
Related to this:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
838 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2024

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0835 PM FLOOD 1 W SAVANNAH 32.05N 81.10W
07/20/2024 CHATHAM GA PUBLIC

TRAFFIC MAPS REPORTED SEVERAL FLOODED ROADWAYS ACROSS
THE SAVANNAH METRO AREA DUE TO HEAVY RAINFALL.
———————

913 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2024

..REMARKS..

0912 PM FLOOD SAVANNAH 32.05N 81.08W
07/20/2024 CHATHAM GA 911 CALL CENTER

MULTIPLE VEHICLES STUCK IN FLOOD WATERS ON EAST VICTORY
DRIVE.
———————————

941 PM EDT SAT JUL 20 2024

..REMARKS..

0905 PM FLOOD SAVANNAH 32.05N 81.08W
07/20/2024 CHATHAM GA EMERGENCY MNGR

REPORTS OF VEHICLES STALLED IN FLOOD WATERS NEAR THE
600 BLOCK OF EAST HENRY STREET. ADDITIONAL FLOODING NEAR
THE INTERSECTION OF ATLANTIC AND E. 41 STREET, E. 56
STREET AND HABERSHAM STREET.
————————————-
*Edit: It finally slackened to mainly light rain, which is still continuing, at ~9PM and nearby lightning appears to be done. Looks like I got 2”+.

Last edited:
Back