• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=Rain Cold link=topic=2.msg1353#msg1353 date=1481484775]
Man, the GFS looks absolutely atrocious at the end of the run.  Just a parade of storms slamming into the west coast.  Completely the wrong thing for a wintry SE.
come back at 00z and you will get a completely different look.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[/quote]

That's true indeed.  It'll probably be just as bad, though. :(

GainesvilleWX link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg1352#msg1352 date=1481484756]
December is a month that usually teases us. It often brings a lot of cold, but rarely does it give us any wintry precip. It's really a month of wasted cold in most years.
I tend to agree. I can only think of two memorable winter storms in recent years in December. (2005 ice storm and 2010 Christmas snow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote] The only memorable December storms I recall are the 2010 Christmas snow and the late December 1997 snow.  There was also some snow for the northern ATL suburbs in December 2000. We didn't get any ice in December 2005 and I think December 2002 was supposed to bring an ice storm to GA but it ended up mainly being in the Carolinas.

00z GFS tonight will be:
b50bae11fdfe3dd524151c671396208f.jpg

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=GainesvilleWX link=topic=2.msg1354#msg1354 date=1481485736]
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg1352#msg1352 date=1481484756]
December is a month that usually teases us. It often brings a lot of cold, but rarely does it give us any wintry precip. It's really a month of wasted cold in most years.
I tend to agree. I can only think of two memorable winter storms in recent years in December. (2005 ice storm and 2010 Christmas snow)

[/quote] The only memorable December storms I recall are the 2010 Christmas snow and the late December 1997 snow.  There was also some snow for the northern ATL suburbs in December 2000. We didn't get any ice in December 2005 and I think December 2002 was supposed to bring an ice storm to GA but it ended up mainly being in the Carolinas.
[/quote]

You were too far west of ATL to get the Dec. 2005 ice. It was more concentrated in the northern suburbs. I got a major icing in Sandy Springs (~5 miles north of the perimeter). That (12/14-15) is actually the earliest major ATL area ZR I could find going way back.I do recall the Dec. 2000 and 1997 snows. Also, 1996, 1993 and 1989 had good snows. Dec actually did well in the period 1989-2000 averaging almost 1"/Dec in ATL officially! Still, there hasn't been what I'd call a major SN/IP there since 1917. Dec. of 1971 produced a mess but it was a mix of 1" of mainly IP and some ZR and R. That was far worse in NC.

How reliable is the GFS Para ?

We have no idea yet.  I love how we have a GFS Para right now since we are getting rid of the model as a whole in 2019.
Guess they are pumping as much as they can out of it.

Starburst link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg1368#msg1368 date=1481490309]

We have no idea yet.  I love how we have a GFS Para right now since we are getting rid of the model as a whole in 2019.
[/quote] I wonder why they are waiting so long to get rid of the model ? Why not just get rid of it in 2017 ? Also, are they replacing it with another model ?

[quote author=Starburst link=topic=2.msg1369#msg1369 date=1481490373]
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg1368#msg1368 date=1481490309]

[/quote] I wonder why they are waiting so long to get rid of the model ? Why not just get rid of it in 2017 ? Also, are they replacing it with another model ?
[/quote]

Yes.  I suppose we have to wait until they get it working correctly and bugs worked out.  Yeah, it's something like the NGGPS.  I was hearing they were keeping the name "GFS" for it, but it's an entirely new thing.

There is a bill that is being pushed through that will give much more money to weather development if the president elect will sign it.. and I don't see him not.  Read over it and it's mainly computing power, better severe warnings, etc.  I didn't see much of anything about climate change etc in the bill.. that would of course cluster it up with the new administration.  So hopefully we'll have that signed by Feb.

They used the Parallel GFS model before either last winter or the winter before that. I can't remember off the top of my head, but is there not any verification scores on how it did against the OP GFS back then? Going off of what I remember some folks saying back then it did better than the OP GFS did.

Weatherlover92 link said:
They used the Parallel GFS model before either last winter or the winter before that. I can't remember off the top of my head, but is there not any verification scores on how it did against the OP GFS back then? Going off of what I remember some folks saying back then it did better than the OP GFS did.

I think the Para is usually just the GFS with some upgrades/changes they run alongside the main GFS to see how it's doing before they replace GFS with it.  I had looked for the changes on this revision of the GFS (the new para) and couldn't find too much.  So basically, it should be new changes on this one from the other para if that makes sense.  Think of the Para as the GFS but constantly seeing changes and if it performs well, it will eventually have the Para tag removed and called the stable GFS.  THen the process continues again when they tweak/change code.

Re: December Discussion

so SD has been  teaching me about the AAM something I never even looked at until a few months ago. But with it dropping like it's forecast to do there is absolutely NOTHING to offset the SE ridge that comes from the drop. If we had a -NAO it would help with beating down the ridge enough to where we would not be miserable,  but we don't have one and there isn't one in sight.

So just remember a dropping AAM = southeast ridge..... unless you have something in place to help offset it

Starburst link said:
[quote author=Weatherlover92 link=topic=2.msg1373#msg1373 date=1481491010]

I think the Para is usually just the GFS with some upgrades/changes they run alongside the main GFS to see how it's doing before they replace GFS with it.  I had looked for the changes on this revision of the GFS (the new para) and couldn't find too much.  So basically, it should be new changes on this one from the other para if that makes sense.  Think of the Para as the GFS but constantly seeing changes and if it performs well, it will eventually have the Para tag removed and called the stable GFS.  THen the process continues again when they tweak/change code.
[/quote]

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

SnowFlowXXL link said:
18z GFS more of the same.  Not sure why I'm still checking haha

Not much difference in HP placement/timing, but there was a significant difference in the LP track/strength. 18z is much more weaker than 12z and not as amped up (above sub 1000mb) and it tracked further south and east through the OH valley into Upstate NY. 12z it went up into Canada. Granted, this isn't really helping us if we still don't have a decent cold source from a HP staying anchored in place to feed the CAD.

18z gfs less press with the cold and no second wave like the 12z para had . yes I'll search for anything before the pattern goes to S*** next week

18z
e4202ee0ec47d437b9302e8f0d590324.jpg

12z para
8262e34b054cb6146178d0b2db481ff1.jpg

Storm5 link said:
18z gfs less press with the cold and no second wave like the 12z para had . yes I'll search for anything before the pattern goes to S*** next week

18z
e4202ee0ec47d437b9302e8f0d590324.jpg

12z para
8262e34b054cb6146178d0b2db481ff1.jpg

Ain't much to search for is there...

Back