• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

Brent link said:
I think I just fainted at the end of the GFS out here....  :eek: this is a Texas special lol

and yes I totally registered because of that lmao

Memphis gets smashed.

Brent link said:
I think I just fainted at the end of the GFS out here....  :eek: this is a Texas special lol

Welcome to the forum ! I haven't seen any maps. How much snow does it show for Texas ?

On the meteogram a half inch of QPF with temperatures in the teens and 20s...

It has highs in the teens on Christmas Eve lol

facepalm ...the 00z gefs 100 percents supports the op with dumping the trough in the west

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brent link said:

you would have a few off days. your actually in a great spot

Several members have snow through 10 days. Don't give up storm

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg794#msg794 date=1481260136]

you would have a few off days. your actually in a great spot

[/quote]

yeah there's been a lot of hype about this winter here even when it was still record highs out. Finally seeing some real signs of it.

Oh and I could totally go for an extended Christmas vacation from work lol

I don't care what the averages show. I think Dallas gets more snow than Atlanta on average. The further west you go in the south, the better.

;)That Artic Blast is so close to us, ok this is the second run today that sucks, so we shuffel back tomorrow. That cold has to eventually move east, how strong dont know. I still say we have time with that system next week to improve if that HP stays sttong. Onset ice is very possible at this point, gfs is very strong of keeping this very " Vodka Cold" air around.

accu35 link said:
;)That Artic Blast is so close to us, ok this is the second run today that sucks, so we shuffel back tomorrow. That cold has to eventually move east, how strong dont know. I still say we have time with that system next week to improve if that HP stays sttong. Onset ice is very possible at this point, gfs is very strong of keeping this very " Vodka Cold" air around.
I'm sure it will move so slow that by the time it gets here it will be seasonal.

SoutheastRidge link said:
I don't care what the averages show. I think Dallas gets more snow than Atlanta on average. The further west you go in the south, the better.

http://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmosnow

Look at all the years there was a "trace" of snow here which last year's 5 flakes equaled a trace so...

although since 2000 or so it has been unusually snowy here. But look at the 1990's...

Storm5 link said:
facepalm ...the 00z gefs 100 percents supports the op with dumping the trough in the west

It's ok, the other day when the GFS had 60 degree below average temps in the plains, it had complete ensemble support and we all new that wasn't going to happen!

0z euro is 30 degrees cooler for next Saturday vs the 12z run yesterday. Lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SD link said:

Let's hope the air is so cold that's coming, the models can't handle those kind of numbers and data, so there are the wild swings, until it locks on the cold/snowy south pattern

SD link said:

Of course, the models are world's apart from each other, and even from themselves from one run to the next. They just don't do winter well here past 5 days, and if there is a chance of a winter storm, even 3 days off is a stretch. Heck, sometimes 12 hours out they are wrong.

One thing I don't get is some feeling we need the cold locked in place for a while to get a good storm. I don't think we need a solid week of below freezing for highs to get a good winter storm. That kind of cold is usually transient here. There's been plenty of times when we've been above normal for temps a week before getting a good winter storm. I don't think the cold has to be locked in place that long for us to get something good.

you are rihht brick.this idea of locked cold gets brought up every year and its ridiculous.  we don't need to lock cold in. some of the biggest se storms have come on the front end or tail end of a pattern change . I can't remember a winter storm for my area where we had snow or ice and the cold stayed around for a while . I'd does benefit us to keep the cold on our side of globe. makes things so much easier.

Yeah, I don't ever recall getting a winter storm here when it has been really cold for a while before the storm hit. Usually the temps cold enough for a storm come for 2 or 3 days at most. Anytime we've had a period longer than a few days with highs below freezing it's just cold and dry. I think the week before the Carolina Crusher there was a day it hit 70. So, I just don't get this idea we have to have sustained cold for a good storm here.

00z gfs
056f5b5c2ee1d161151557724414323c.jpg

00z gfs para
812c3476fc054c10143af6d8566cdde3.jpg

Back