• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

You'll see lows from time-to-time jump from the windward side of the Apps to the eastern end in CAD events because the topographic blocking due to the mountains themselves (due to vorticity conservation compresses the column and deters cyclonic vorticity), and the strong low-level static stability in the CAD dome itself deters low-level cyclonic vorticity and acts as "effective topography", deflecting the track of the low pressure center around the mountains and CAD dome. Hope this makes sense haha!

Makes perfect sense. Thanks! The question is, will the low really end up on the windward side of the Apps like the Euro has????

One big difference in the Euro vs the GFS is the Euro shows a signficantly weaker HP around 1033 vs the 1040+ HP the GFS showed at 12z.
ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_9.png

Makes perfect sense. Thanks! The question is, will the low really end up on the windward side of the Apps like the Euro has????

I highly doubt it. I've seen instances where the models want to cut the low into a CAD and they almost always correct south/east. So long as we have a decently strong HP in place to establish the CAD. Now if the HP ends up weaker and we see very little CAD then it certainly could cut.

The 18z GFS will silence this board until the signal returns after 2 or 3 runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get too excited. E2 skewed the mean badly. There are not many other members that have much outside of the mountains.
eps_snow_25_se_38.png

I still like the GEFS. Most of the individual members look to be southern sliders, gulf storms to the south. Nice location on the mean as well. Hopefully the EPS looks similar.

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_33.png

upload_2018-11-30_14-50-53.png

Back