• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

12z CMC has that 2nd piece of energy coming down as well.
a0e46e893806cfe7e7214f69f8bd6b2c.jpg

Based on what I've noted throughout the observed record in NC, for Charlotte in particular the 3 best types of winter storms if you want a big snow/ice event are:
1) overunning events (Jan 1988)
2) Cut-off ULLs (Feb 1969 & Feb 2004)
3) Deep, cold CAD events (Dec 1930 & Feb 12-13 2014)

There's obviously some overlap between these especially storm types 1 & 3, and it's definitely looking more & more like whatever storm manages to affect the Carolinas and the rest of the southeast (if any) will be of "type" I or III. Here's to hoping for an amazing overrunning or deep CAD event; I'll take whatever I can get especially in early December.

12z CMC has that 2nd piece of energy coming down as well.
a0e46e893806cfe7e7214f69f8bd6b2c.jpg

That northern stream is the wildcard. A phase and this threat is done, a stronger press and you have a board wide snow storm, slower with more seperation and you have two storms, and finally wrong place and the s/w shears out. Good luck.

Based on what I've noted throughout the observed record in NC, for Charlotte in particular the 3 best types of winter storms if you want a big snow/ice event are:
1) overunning events (Jan 1988)
2) Cut-off ULLs (Feb 1969 & Feb 2004)
3) Deep, cold CAD events (Dec 1930 & Feb 12-13 2014)

There's obviously some overlap between these especially storm types 1 & 3, and it's definitely looking more & more like whatever storm manages to affect the Carolinas and the rest of the southeast (if any) will be of "type" I or III. Here's to hoping for an amazing overrunning or deep CAD event; I'll take whatever I can get especially in early December.
What was Dec 02? A #3

Based off free maps, this Euro looks like a no go and probably worse than 0z, but let me dive into the maps on weather.us and see if it looks a bit better.

Back