• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 4-7 Winter Precip Chance

I do think that one major difference between this event and January 2018 was the cold air. That storm had absolutely no issues with cold air and just needed the precip. This one does, and requires changes with both.
Well, we seem to be trending the right way with the latter at least

It is becoming clear to me this will not be a precip issue for the Carolinas. As usual, temps will be the problem. I expect to see more NW trends with the precip shield going forward. As far as cold air, I suspect we need to see more of a neutral tilt to the trough, which will depend on the energy and how to moves and interacts with the waves. This will definitely be rate dependent, and will need more lift for better rates.

I do think that one major difference between this event and January 2018 was the cold air. That storm had absolutely no issues with cold air and just needed the precip. This one does, and requires changes with both.
I remember that snow being super powdery. We didn’t get a ton here but you couldn’t even play in it.

Anyone smarter than me know how we can cool this setup down ? Stronger UL trough for a colder pocket aloft ?
Close at 85/7/5 use the dynamics to increase Precip rates and banding. Use the intense rates of melting snow to cool the column from the top down. If that doesn't work hope for close enough temps that any caa on the back can flip rain to snow

Anyone smarter than me know how we can cool this setup down ? Stronger UL trough for a colder pocket aloft ?

So obviously a stronger low pressure is going to drive some WAA, but if it's any consolation I think our cold air woes this run have more to do with the strength of the northern stream piece. In terms of its structure, things improved a lot; there are almost two different entities in the northern stream with this setup (what a mess lol), and they were preventing each other from tilting favorably in previous runs. The lagging piece shifted way NE on this run, but look at how the leading piece weakened:
gfs_z500_mslp_us_fh66_trend.gif
It's cutoff now and displaced more SW, which is good, but the higher heights, all else constant, implies a weaker pouch of cold air. That's exactly what happened (note it's the air around IN/KY that eventually tracks over NC):gfs_T850_us_fh66_trend.gif
So if we can somehow:

a) get that northern stream to maintain a similar orientation/structure, but be stronger; while
b) not changing much about or slowing down/strengthening the southern stream a tad (more precip). Slow-down would also time things better overnight.

Maybe we can thread the needle with this setup. I'm worried that a stronger northern stream at this angle, though, will shear out the southern piece. So it may be an impossible ask for both. We'll see I guess.

Otherwise we'll be dependent on heavier precip and some "rates will overcome" garbage. Though I will say that (for MBY) I feel like this is... not awful:
1607035975050.png

Back