• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former WHO doctor says coronavirus cases are not increasing as expected in areas that reopen
"It's as though something has changed, and none of us can explain why.”
World Health Organization
(Fabrice Coffrini / Getty Images)
By Sophie Mann
Last Updated:
May 20, 2020 - 5:02pm
If I recall correctly, SARS kind of mutated its way out of existence back when. Perhaps this could do the same thing? There is so much unknown about this thing and by the time we figure it out it will likely be all past us.

If I recall correctly, SARS kind of mutated its way out of existence back when. Perhaps this could do the same thing? There is so much unknown about this thing and by the time we figure it out it will likely be all past us.

Sylvia Browne said it will disappear as quickly as it appeared. So if you believe in that type of stuff.......

If you at least go by the opinions on CNBC this morning, if you don't see this virus mutate its way into not being a big issue, it really is feeling like it'd take an absolute ton for us to see widespread SIP orders again. Like big hospitals being potentially brought to their knees ton. Seems as if opinions are gradually shifting toward the idea of the vulnerable taking extra precautions, but everyone else, try to live as normal as you can.

Hopefully, that disaster does not happen.

If you at least go by the opinions on CNBC this morning, if you don't see this virus mutate its way into not being a big issue, it really is feeling like it'd take an absolute ton for us to see widespread SIP orders again. Like big hospitals being potentially brought to their knees ton. Seems as if opinions are gradually shifting toward the idea of the vulnerable taking extra precautions, but everyone else, try to live as normal as you can.

Hopefully, that disaster does not happen.
I don't think we will have a widespread shut down again. It will be more localized if the situation calls for it.

We are still in a manageable range but it is concerning that NC went from averaging 450 to 525 hospitalizations previously to this week running 525 to 585. We are back up to 575 today. So overall we have seen a higher level of sustained hospitalizations the last few days.

We are still in a manageable range but it is concerning that NC went from averaging 450 to 525 hospitalizations previously to this week running 525 to 585. We are back up to 575 today. So overall we have seen a higher level of sustained hospitalizations the last few days.
Yep, agreed. It's not a huge change and we still have plenty of hospital and ICU capacity, but if it's the start of a sustained increase it could turn bad. I'm wondering if that's part of why they didn't go full-on with phase 2, too.

In NC those age 65 and older only make up 19% of the cases, but 85% of the deaths. 63% of those deaths are age 75 and older. I imagine the hospitalization demographics are similar, but they don't have that data on the NC Health and Human Services site.

They also have data on cases from congregate living facilities like nursing homes and prisons. They make up 22% of the cases, but 64% of the deaths.

I think NC would have been okay leaving most things open at a limited capacity like we are going to do with the phase 2 opening, so the majority of the work force could continue to work, and find out a way to target these demographics since they are at the most risk for hospitalization and deaths. All I heard was that the case for closing things, so we could flatten the curve and prevent hospitals from being overrunned. We kept the grocery stores and big home improvement store opened, and those were packed, and I don't think we saw outbreaks because of that. I don't think it would have been any different with other things remaining open at limited capacity. It would be harder to do that in larger cities like NYC, though, where the population density is so great, and they depend on mass transit so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see if this survives peer review.

It may be true (or not...would many of these deaths be delayed, but not denied?), but it’s easy to nitpick in hindsight. The response in some ways was certainly bungled (testing early on was way too sparse, for example, and nursing homes clearly needed better protection), but everyone was just flying by the seat of their pants trying to do their best in an uncertain situation.

Another decent daily report, although nothing groundbreaking. The rolling 7 day average continues to decline; positive tests are slightly up over yesterday but down against the same day last week.

Another decent daily report, although nothing groundbreaking. The rolling 7 day average continues to decline; positive tests are slightly up over yesterday but down against the same day last week.

I wish more people would actually look at the data of the percentages and demographics of those that have to be hospitalized and that have been killed by the virus instead of just the overall numbers.

I wish more people would actually look at the data of the percentages and demographics of those that have to be hospitalized and that have been killed by the virus instead of just the overall numbers.

Overall numbers matter and a lot of us have many family members in that higher age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back