• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

I think the case about being accountable for who we vote for can be made in the verse where it states every idle word will be judged and again in the verse that states to be aware who we will Godspeed to. That said if anyone wants to use this interpretation, you had really watch and research every angle, opinion and belief of who you vote for to see if anything they say or have done hurts the cause of Christ and your testimony. I’m not saying to not vote for anyone who has sinned(because we all are guilty) and the person must be perfect, but you can see a truly repentant heart.

Its not which one represents God, cause both fail misearably, just like you and me from time to time as Im sure we can agree.
Its more than abortion for me personally. I look at both platforms. Every candidate that has run,is runing,and will run for polotical office has many flaws.
I look at policy to base my position off of. The 1st one is to see which of the 2 candidates will even acknowledge God, Jesus Christ as the creator of this universe. Then I start working through issues such as abortion, trying to help those less fortunate, stand up for peace but at the same time be willing to stand up for human rights.
I prayfully try to make the best decession I can and go vote. No one in washington DC, Raleigh NC can solve mans main problem. Only God can do that.
Thankfully all my sins past,present,future are forgiven. Because of Jesus,not anything I did. So I have a duty to be a good steward of everything in my life God has blessed me with. One of the many is being a good citizen in a country that is so richly blessed. I will vote, debate political issues. But at the end of the day,if my preference looses, the Sun will come up tommorow and God is still on the throne.
One party sides with life and freedom, another party sides with control and enlightened bondage masked as freedom.

Where in Scripture does it say you will be accountable for a vote for a politician? Can you back that up? Is abortion the only political issue God cares about? Is he not equally concerned with economic justice (hello OT prophets)? The idea that one of two political parties solely represents God is absurd--absolutely absurd.
Well, you say you are a preacher.... you know that you will be judged on who you choose to align yourself with and who you choose to follow. Hello, old testament (Numbers 16)......"And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. This was the punishment for aligning themselves against Moses.
I get the feeling that your beliefs are a little bit too modern for my way of thinking. I am a true "Old-time religion" Holy Ghost, Bible believing Christian who puts his trust in the Bible of my grandfather (KJV by the way) and his father before him. For it is written, "broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.....strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it". I think we all know what the scriptures are talking about here..... There will be only a few that make it to Heaven compared to the Billions that have lived here on earth. Let that sobering thought sink in..... Mathew chapter 7 is always worth a re-read. Here's a bit more from that chapter. This is Jesus speaking by the way...
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Everyone needs to really do a little "soul-searching" to make sure that our name are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Phil 2:12 .....work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. That doesn't mean you can work your way to Heaven. It means you need to make sure that you know where your soul will spend eternity.

Well, you say you are a preacher.... you know that you will be judged on who you choose to align yourself with and who you choose to follow. Hello, old testament (Numbers 16)......"And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. This was the punishment for aligning themselves against Moses.
I get the feeling that your beliefs are a little bit too modern for my way of thinking. I am a true "Old-time religion" Holy Ghost, Bible believing Christian who puts his trust in the Bible of my grandfather (KJV by the way) and his father before him. For it is written, "broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.....strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it". I think we all know what the scriptures are talking about here..... There will be only a few that make it to Heaven compared to the Billions that have lived here on earth. Let that sobering thought sink in..... Mathew chapter 7 is always worth a re-read. Here's a bit more from that chapter. This is Jesus speaking by the way...
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Everyone needs to really do a little "soul-searching" to make sure that our name are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Phil 2:12 .....work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. That doesn't mean you can work your way to Heaven. It means you need to make sure that you know where your soul will spend eternity.

Answer my question: How is it that God is okay with you aligning yourself with a man who has admitted to sexually assaulting women and saying that he does not sin and does not need to repent?

And by the way--you totally quote the Bible out of context. But this does not surprise me.

People who say, "I'm of the old-time religion," have no idea that their "old-time" religion goes back about 200 years, tops. And it looks nothing like the New Testament church, let alone anything like the grace of Jesus Christ.

If you came and sat under my preaching you might be surprised by what you hear. I preach the Bible verse by verse, book by book, week by week, in context. Doing so challenges many of our preconceived notions that have been handed down over the years that may or may not be true. But at any rate, you will always hear me present the Gospel, and depending on the text, you will often hear about Judgment and sin and such.

In fact, this week is a perfect example, as I will be preaching from Genesis 34, which oddly enough talks about rape, from which I will make the point that God does not stand for that and he judges it harshly, and especially those who are unrepentant, as evidenced in the text.

The bottom line @Cad Wedge NC is this: you don't know what you think you know. You only know what you want to know or what you have been told to know.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that there has not been much fruit there to prove that genuine.

His election was prophesied by multiple,multiple pastors in the years to months prior to the election. The earliest I've seen is from 2008. And all of those same people are saying he's going to win in 2020 . The great uncovering is happening
Yes its messy and not pretty. He is fulfilling something only he could do. I would hope that God would never not use me because of my past sins.

His election was prophesied by multiple,multiple pastors in the years to months prior to the election. The earliest I've seen is from 2008. And all of those same people are saying he's going to win in 2020 . The great uncovering is happening
Yes its messy and not pretty. He is fulfilling something only he could do. I would hope that God would never not use me because of my past sins.

Obviously, Scripture is filled with examples of God using people despite their past. And I feel the same as you. I have not always been a pastor. But here's the thing: those who have sinned the "most" and experienced God's grace should in turn be filled with the same grace. Mr. Trump--at least in his public personae-- has exhibited zero signs of grace and repentance.

Again, he was shown on video admitting to sexually assaulting women and to my knowledge has never publicly repented of such behavior.

Obviously, Scripture is filled with examples of God using people despite their past. And I feel the same as you. I have not always been a pastor. But here's the thing: those who have sinned the "most" and experienced God's grace should in turn be filled with the same grace. Mr. Trump--at least in his public personae-- has exhibited zero signs of grace and repentance.

Again, he was shown on video admitting to sexually assaulting women and to my knowledge has never publicly repented of such behavior.
I made fun of trump when he announced. I remember I was totally against that "clown".

It's interesting that Mr. Trump always talks about hoaxes perpetuated against him. Has anyone stopped to consider that the greatest hoax of all is Trump convincing millions of evangelicals that he's one of them?

It's interesting that Mr. Trump always talks about hoaxes perpetuated against him. Has anyone stopped to consider that the greatest hoax of all is Trump convincing millions of evangelicals that he's one of them?
If it's a hoax, its sure a good one for us.

People who say, "I'm of the old-time religion," have no idea that their "old-time" religion goes back about 200 years, tops. And it looks nothing like the New Testament church, let alone anything like the grace of Jesus Christ.

If you came and sat under my preaching you might be surprised by what you hear. I preach the Bible verse by verse, book by book, week by week, in context. Doing so challenges many of our preconceived notions that have been handed down over the years that may or may not be true. But at any rate, you will always hear me present the Gospel, and depending on the text, you will often hear about Judgment and sin and such.

In fact, this week is a perfect example, as I will be preaching from Genesis 34, which oddly enough talks about rape, from which I will make the point that God does not stand for that and he judges it harshly, and especially those who are unrepentant, as evidenced in the text.

The bottom line @Cad Wedge NC is this: you don't know what you think you know. You only know what you want to know or what you have been told to know.
Have you ever really taken the time to listen to the teachings of D.L. Moody, Dr. Dolphus Price, Dr. Billy Graham, Billy Sunday, Bob Jones Sr., Dr. Jimmy DeYoung, Estus Pirkle... just to name a few? . Are you familiar with CI Scofield? I have...... and I think I will take what they have to say over you all day long. So, yes, I know what I have read and what I have been taught. You have to understand, the Bible has been a part of my daily life since I was a child. I went to a private Christian school and the Bible (KJV) was taught to us every single day. We were also taught the Greek and Hebrew meanings for most passages. So, yes, I am truly able to converse with a broad Biblical intelligence. I really don't appreciate the condescending tone. You are certainly not going to enlighten me on anything.

Have you ever really taken the time to listen to the teachings of D.L. Moody, Dr. Dolphus Price, Dr. Billy Graham, Billy Sunday, Bob Jones Sr., Dr. Jimmy DeYoung, Estus Pirkle... just to name a few? . Are you familiar with CI Scofield? I have...... and I think I will take what they have to say over you all day long. So, yes, I know what I have read and what I have been taught. You have to understand, the Bible has been a part of my daily life since I was a child. I went to a private Christian school and the Bible (KJV) was taught to us every single day. We were also taught the Greek and Hebrew meanings for most passages. So, yes, I am truly able to converse with a broad Biblical intelligence. I really don't appreciate the condescending tone. You are certainly not going to enlighten me on anything.
If you recall, you started the condescending tone and have continued it.
You still have not answered my question: how is it ok to support a candidate who has admitted to sexual assault and never repented of it? How is that ok with God? If you want respect, stop dodging questions.

If you recall, you started the condescending tone and have continued it.
You still have not answered my question: how is it ok to support a candidate who has admitted to sexual assault and never repented of it? How is that ok with God? If you want respect, stop dodging questions.
There is not one person who is sinless. When choosing a pres. candidate, it comes down to a few basic things, what does the person stand for? Does he believe in God? Does he love America? Will he back Israel? Does he believe in the sanctity of life? etc... I will also pray that God would help me make the right choice. I truly believe that God sometimes uses less-than-perfect people to accomplish His will. We all have sin in our lives. How do you know that Trump has not repented of his sin? Only God knows that..... let's not forget that when you vote for the president you are voting for 2 people. If Trump's vice presidential candidate was evil, I wouldn't vote for Trump. However, this is not the case. Please let us know what criteria you use to make your political choices.

Where I come from, public sin is publicly confessed and repented. Mr. Trump has not done that to my knowledge.

So far in this thread you have suggested that those who don’t use the KJV and who don’t vote Republican are not true Christians. All of the above add to the Gospel; it is unscriptural and untenable.

Hating the Sin Without Judging the Sinner
Rev. Mr. Matthew Newsome
Rev. Mr. Matthew Newsome

Jun 26, 2017 · 4 min read

1*hwrhKria78bOuTgbu6RCrA.jpeg

1*hwrhKria78bOuTgbu6RCrA.jpeg

We’ve had an invasion of ants in our yard this year. In an attempt to mitigate the situation, I purchased some heavy-duty ant poison which I mixed up in a spray bottle, which I then — unfortunately — left out on our porch after using. I realized my mistake when I looked out the window to see one of my younger sons spraying his little brother with it.
I quickly dashed outside and took the bottle away from him. He thought there was just water in it and was using it as a squirt gun. As I washed them both down with the garden hose, I explained why it is dangerous to play with unknown spray bottles.
Before I sprang into action, I made a judgment. I didn’t judge my kids. I knew they were acting out of ignorance. I did chastise myself for leaving the ant spray where the kids could find it. But most importantly, I made an immediate judgment that my children’s actions were not safe. That judgment on my part enabled me to quickly step in and prevent any real harm from being done.
There is a lesson here about the proper way we are to interpret Christ’s command not to judge others, as given in Matthew 7:1–6.
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, “Let me take the speck out of your eye,” when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
It is clear from this passage that Christians are forbidden from judging others. The judgement Christ is talking about is a judgment upon another’s soul. Christ tells us that if we judge others harshly, we can expect to be harshly judged. All of us have sinned. It is hypocritical for us to condemn other people when we also deserve condemnation. If we expect God to have mercy on us, we need to extend that mercy to others. Indeed, this is what we pray for any time we say the Lord’s Prayer. “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us” (Mt 6:12).
But there is another popular maxim among Christians: Hate the sin; love the sinner. Lately people have started to display a negative attitude toward this phrase. Admittedly it has become somewhat of a cliche, but there is truth to these words. It makes an important distinction between actions and persons.
Many reject this saying today because society has associated certain sinful actions (especially when it comes to sexual morality) with personal identity, so that to “hate the sin” is tantamount to “hating the sinner.” This makes the statement appear hypocritical. This is unfortunate, because the distinction between the sin and the sinner is a real one. Understanding this distinction is the key to making right judgments.
Imagine you saw someone pick up a glass you knew was full of a poisonous liquid. They bring it up to their lips and begin to take a drink. What do you do? I hope you would shout out, “Stop, that’s poisonous!” or even rush forward to knock the glass out of their hand.
In doing so, you have made a judgment. You judged this person’s action to be harmful, and intervened to stop them. This did not require you to make any sort of judgment about the person. Did they know the glass was poisonous and were trying to commit suicide? Are they suffering from delusions and think they are immune to poison? Perhaps they mistakenly thought the glass was full of water and were only trying to quench their thirst. Or maybe they have a physiological condition that makes them crave something in the poison. Who knows?
You don’t need to know anything about their knowledge or intention in order to make an objective judgment about their action. Far from condemning them for their action, your judgment allows you to display your love for them by working for their good.
Love at its root means to desire the good of the other. To love, then, requires us to make judgments about what is good and what is not.
Just as poison is harmful to our bodies, sin is harmful to our souls. We “hate the sin” precisely because we “love the sinner.” Warning someone about the danger of sin is no more of a condemnation of the person than warning them about the dangers of drinking poison.

Countless stories ,passages in the bible about hating the sin and not the sinner. We all fail at times doing this. I think of Jonah as one example. He despised Nineveh and how ungodly the people where,turned their back on the Lord,living in sin. However God wanted him to go directly to those folks and give his message to them. Its not Gods desire to see anyone perish an unrepenting sinner and be seperated from him eternally. He makes no exceptions for this as he is a Holy and Just God. He gives everyone the freedom to choose his invitation of grace and mercy. He knows what we need and knows us better than we know ourselves.

No doubt probably the hardest thing to do as a christian is be longsuffering. That requires making ourselves available to others and patience with folks. Getting outside our comfort zone. But we should be burdened for everyone just as God has had to be burdened with our ownselves and be longsuffering towards us. Easier said than done. I have and have to safeguard against watching,listening to news,our lawmakers ,leaders on a national,state and local level.

1st Timothy Chapter 2 instructs me as a Christian to pray for kings and all those who are in authority without ceasing.

Last edited:
Where I come from, public sin is publicly confessed and repented. Mr. Trump has not done that to my knowledge.

So far in this thread you have suggested that those who don’t use the KJV and who don’t vote Republican are not true Christians. All of the above add to the Gospel; it is unscriptural and untenable.
He didn't commit that sin in public. Sure the public knows about it, but we don't know if he has confessed it or not. Do you stand before your congregation and confess all your sins each week. Just saying.... and yes I understand 1st John 1:9 perfectly well. No, I am not saying that you will go to Hell if you don't use the KJV. I am saying that when it comes to where my soul will spend all of eternity, I choose to trust the translation that was handed down from generation to generation for hundreds of years. Tell me this...... how many English translations of Moby ---- are there? That's right, there's only 1.... because we don't need someone re-writing it and giving us there interpretation.

Back