• Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Misc All Things Religious

GaWx

Supporter
It isn’t the existence of the Bible, Torah, Koran, or other similar book that necessarily convinces me there almost has to be a supreme being/creator. It isn’t the preaching from a priest, minister, rabbi, or mullah. Rather, it is just the miracle of the existence of life, itself, that convinces me. Even just the life of one insect or even just one plant. And I could probably even say just the existence of one microbe if I want to stretch it further. Now that doesn’t tell me if any existing religion is necessarily anywhere near correct though that is possible. And I can’t PROVE the existence.

Edit: Contrary to what some atheists say, I think having more intelligence makes it easier rather than harder to believe in a creator/supreme being.

Last edited:
It isn’t the existence of the Bible, Torah, Koran, or other similar book that necessarily convinces me there almost has to be a supreme being/creator. It isn’t the preaching from a priest, minister, rabbi, or mullah. Rather, it is just the miracle of the existence of life, itself, that convinces me. Even just the life of one insect or even just one plant. And I could probably even say just the existence of one microbe if I want to stretch it further. Now that doesn’t tell me if any existing religion is necessarily anywhere near correct though that is possible. And I can’t PROVE the existence.

Edit: Contrary to what some atheists say, I think having more intelligence makes it easier rather than harder to believe in a creator/supreme being.
The belief in God was a major part of our country's foundation. "In God We Trust" is still printed/stamped on our money today. To further support your post, I would consider our founding fathers to be fairly intelligent people. Would they match up to the modern day doctors/mathematicians? No, but these men weren't goat herders either.

Arcc

Supporter
The belief in God was a major part of our country's foundation. "In God We Trust" is still printed/stamped on our money today. To further support your post, I would consider our founding fathers to be fairly intelligent people. Would they match up to the modern day doctors/mathematicians? No, but these men weren't goat herders either.
Our "intelligence" is overrated. We have "educated" people today because of the abundance of available knowledge, however I feel those educated people will fail quickly against the critical thinking and smarts of those in years past. Can you imagine what they could do with just what is on Youtube? Shame on us.

Much like how weak our bodies are compared to the feats of physical strength shown by them as well.

EastAtlwx

Meteorology Student
Each religion is their own interpretation of psychedelic experiences that by their ancestors. I do think their is something fundamental to consciousness that hasn’t been solved yet, so I guess that would put me as an agnostic.

GaWx

Supporter
Each religion is their own interpretation of psychedelic experiences that by their ancestors. I do think their is something fundamental to consciousness that hasn’t been solved yet, so I guess that would put me as an agnostic.
I bolded the key word in your post from my perspective. I think the answer is a supreme being/creator because to me consciousness is in itself a great miracle.

Arcc

Supporter
I can't convince you, so I'm not trying. That said my ancestors do not have anything to do with the path I've chosen, nor have psychedelic experiences of hoopla made me believe. God has imparted too many lumps of rational logic personally to deny his existence.

metwannabe

Staff member
Supporter
Agree but ummm we have goats, I'm offended

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I kind of believe in the Big Bang theory and evolution, but I’m no scientist
The universe began not with a whimper, but with bang! At least, that's what you're commonly told: The universe and everything in it came into existence at the moment of the big bang. Space, time, and all that matter and energy within began from a singular point, and then expanded and cooled, giving rise over billions of years to the atoms, stars, galaxies, and clusters of galaxies spread out across the billions of light years that make up our observable universe. It's a compelling, beautiful picture that explains so much of what we see, from the present large-scale structure of the universe's two trillion galaxies to the leftover glow of radiation permeating all of existence. Unfortunately, it's also wrong and scientists have known this for almost 40 years. It amazes me that scientists still questions there work now day and really cant prove there methods. And it amazes me that they support Big Bang, but yet are very interested about God and finding his existence. My Bible tells me, in the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth and that alone is proof for me. If he said it then it is.

BirdManDoomW

Strange Bird
I believe but most Bibles are horse poop. Too many rewrites and fake news these days and false interpretations of the past. And I hate churches to hell. Well just the ones who leave political messages on their boards and scam money. And touch children. Way more bad than good IMO.

SimeonNC

Supporter
I had an atheist phase when I was younger but I now consider myself a nondenominational Christian.

I have certain issues with Christianity as of today, mostly just sketchy people(prosperity preachers), certain organizations(*cough Elevations *cough) along with those who use the Bible to justify hate.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Rain Cold

In the Shop
Staff member
I believe but most Bibles are horse poop. Too many rewrites and fake news these days and false interpretations of the past. And I hate churches to hell. Well just the ones who leave political messages on their boards and scam money. And touch children. Way more bad than good IMO.
Ok

pcbjr

Supporter
Today's Gospel @ Mass ...

Someone in the crowd said to Jesus,
"Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me."
He replied to him,
"Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?"
Then he said to the crowd,
"Take care to guard against all greed,
for though one may be rich,
one's life does not consist of possessions."

Then he told them a parable.
"There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
He asked himself, 'What shall I do,
for I do not have space to store my harvest?'
And he said, 'This is what I shall do:
I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.
There I shall store all my grain and other goods
and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you,
you have so many good things stored up for many years,
rest, eat, drink, be merry!"'
But God said to him,
'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?'
Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves
but are not rich in what matters to God."

GaWx

Supporter
Today's Gospel @ Mass ...

Someone in the crowd said to Jesus,
"Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me."
He replied to him,
"Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?"
Then he said to the crowd,
"Take care to guard against all greed,
for though one may be rich,
one's life does not consist of possessions."

Then he told them a parable.
"There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
He asked himself, 'What shall I do,
for I do not have space to store my harvest?'
And he said, 'This is what I shall do:
I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.
There I shall store all my grain and other goods
and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you,
you have so many good things stored up for many years,
rest, eat, drink, be merry!"'
But God said to him,
'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?'
Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves
but are not rich in what matters to God."
The push to do this shouldn't require a religion. This should come from our heart. Something inside us should already tell us to help the poor if one is financially comfortable enough to provide for his or her family and self especially because any of us could have been or become poor at any point.

GaWx

Supporter
Well, it's still a good message ... ;)
Indeed, this is the good side of religions as they usually encourage sacrifices to help others. Regardless, in my mind, family comes first if they're in more need.

pcbjr

Supporter
Indeed, this is the good side of religions as they usually encourage sacrifices to help others. Regardless, in my mind, family comes first if they're in more need.
My family gets ... and gives ... (don't know how else to say it without getting bragadocious) ... ;)

Arcc

Supporter
The push to do this shouldn't require a religion. This should come from our heart. Something inside us should already tell us to help the poor if one is financially comfortable enough to provide for his or her family and self especially because any of us could have been or become poor at any point.
The inherit evil in a man's heart is the problem.