• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

I believe but most Bibles are horse ----. Too many rewrites and fake news these days and false interpretations of the past. And I hate churches to hell. Well just the ones who leave political messages on their boards and scam money. And touch children. Way more bad than good IMO.
I have to agree 100% in regards to all the rewrites. I consider myself Christian.. HOWEVER.. I also believe their are many many paths one can take to ultimately transition to "heaven" when our human bodies pass.
What is most concerning is that society as we know it is mostly a result of ONE religion which is of course Christianity.
That being said I left organized religion for decades but returned because I refuse to let bigots decide who does or doesn't belong!!

I have to agree 100% in regards to all the rewrites. I consider myself Christian.. HOWEVER.. I also believe their are many many paths one can take to ultimately transition to "heaven" when our human bodies pass.
What is most concerning is that society as we know it is mostly a result of ONE religion which is of course Christianity.
That being said I left organized religion for decades but returned because I refuse to let bigots decide who does or doesn't belong!!
There's never been rewrites of the bible, only translation from language to language. Now churches and denominations have looked to the "lost books" of the bible as rewrites and such and additions, but the Christ inspired bible warned about this very thing, and warns the church of this. Those 13 books and the many other things that have tried to be taken away and added were never Christ inspired.
Your belief in there being many ways to heaven is is unjustifiable. There is only one true way, and that is through Jesus Christ as mentioned in scripture.
I completely understand leaving organized religion in a sense, I left the Baptist church 3 years ago and joined Calvery Chapel which is a organized religion, but is not law focused and adding and taking away like some of the beliefs and teachings that my baptist church did. In many ways there were more "Pharisees/heretics" in the Baptist church than anywhere in my experience. The bible teaches being saved through grace not by law. But being saved will lead you to follow the law. The church it seems is struggling with this and has gone to law to grace. That's how I was brought up. And it completely. Wrecked me anxiety and depression wise because I could never measure up to the law.

There's never been rewrites of the bible, only translation from language to language. Now churches and denominations have looked to the "lost books" of the bible as rewrites and such and additions, but the Christ inspired bible warned about this very thing, and warns the church of this. Those 13 books and the many other things that have tried to be taken away and added were never Christ inspired.
Your belief in there being many ways to heaven is is unjustifiable. There is only one true way, and that is through Jesus Christ as mentioned in scripture.
I completely understand leaving organized religion in a sense, I left the Baptist church 3 years ago and joined Calvery Chapel which is a organized religion, but is not law focused and adding and taking away like some of the beliefs and teachings that my baptist church did. In many ways there were more "Pharisees/heretics" in the Baptist church than anywhere in my experience. The bible teaches being saved through grace not by law. But being saved will lead you to follow the law. The church it seems is struggling with this and has gone to law to grace. That's how I was brought up. And it completely. Wrecked me anxiety and depression wise because I could never measure up to the law.
By “lost books” are you referring to non-canonical NT apocrypha? If so, can you give examples of which churches/denominations, and which non-canonical works you’re referring to?

By “lost books” are you referring to non-canonical NT apocrypha? If so, can you give examples of which churches/denominations, and which non-canonical works you’re referring to?
The 13 books are these.
The Roman Catholic church used these books a good bit, I'm almost certain my wife told me they used these books in her Catholic church before she changed denominations to my church. my grandmother grew up in the Roman catholic church system as well and they used these. https://www.christianity.com/wiki/bible/what-are-the-lost-books-of-the-bible.html

slaves back then we're not as we view them entirely like we do today. They often times earned money, land, marriage,. Etc.
Forgive me if I find ZERO comfort that "often times" slaves earned some of the same rights as their owners. The mere thought that owning another human being is somehow good is disgusting at best.

Forgive me if I find ZERO comfort that "often times" slaves earned some of the same rights as their owners. The mere thought that owning another human being is somehow good is disgusting at best.
I don't think it was ever said that it was good, the bible only says to treat slaves very well. Slaves in those times were not completely the same as we see today like I said., in the bible I forget who, but a man gave himself as a slave to somebody in order to gain favor and marry his daughter (may have been contract, not 100% sure) if I'm correct. I don't like it nor is slavery right. But the bible only mentions treating slaves well.

The 13 books are these.
The Roman Catholic church used these books a good bit, I'm almost certain my wife told me they used these books in her Catholic church before she changed denominations to my church. my grandmother grew up in the Roman catholic church system as well and they used these. https://www.christianity.com/wiki/bible/what-are-the-lost-books-of-the-bible.html
Ahhhhhhh. You mean the OT then.

So yea. The Protestant and Roman Catholic bible are slightly different in the Old Testament, with the RC including 7 more books from the Hebrew Bible (edit: actually Septuagint--not Hebrew, I got that backwards) than the Protestant. I don't remember them because admittedly I've just never studied the OT that much.

I'd like to clear one potential point of confusion from your post though. The RC and Protestant bibles are the same regarding which books are included of the NT. That has been set for centuries. When you referred to lost books, I thought you were talking about the apostolic father epistles (like clement) or shepherd of hermas, which in the early centuries of the church enjoyed a bit of a gray area before the NT canon was solidified.

Last edited:

So yea. The Protestant and Roman Catholic bible are slightly different in the Old Testament, with the RC including 7 more books from the Hebrew Bible than the Protestant. I don't remember them because admittedly I've just never studied the OT that much.

I'd like to clear one potential point of confusion from your post though. The RC and Protestant bibles are the same regarding which books are included of the NT. That has been set for centuries. When you referred to lost books, I thought you were talking about the apostolic father epistles (like clement) or shepherd of hermas, which in the early centuries of the church enjoyed a bit of a gray area before the NT canon was solidified
I watched a seminar on these non Christ inspired books, it's fascinating because about every year it was explained that they find books that they think will change the scripture or are supposed to be in the scripture in archaeological digs, but you have to take what is said in the bible and realize these are additions that aren't Christ inspired, and at times counteract what the Christ inspired bible says. May add to history or be good reads. But anything that takes away or adds to the Christ inspired bible, is not gospel.

So yea. The Protestant and Roman Catholic bible are slightly different in the Old Testament, with the RC including 7 more books from the Hebrew Bible (edit: actually Septuagint--not Hebrew, I got that backwards) than the Protestant. I don't remember them because admittedly I've just never studied the OT that much.

I'd like to clear one potential point of confusion from your post though. The RC and Protestant bibles are the same regarding which books are included of the NT. That has been set for centuries. When you referred to lost books, I thought you were talking about the apostolic father epistles (like clement) or shepherd of hermas, which in the early centuries of the church enjroyed a bit of a gray area before the NT canon was solidified.
Just to clarify....the books that are in the Roman Catholic Bible just before Matthew and right after Malachi, are called the apocrypha. They were never accepted in the Jewish canon of scripture. Even saint Jerome who translated the Bible for the Catholic Church made a footnote on those books that they were in essence, good for wholesome literary entertainment, not for doctrinal application.

Just to clarify....the books that are in the Roman Catholic Bible just before Matthew and right after Malachi, are called the apocrypha. They were never accepted in the Jewish canon of scripture. Even saint Jerome who translated the Bible for the Catholic Church made a footnote on those books that they were in essence, good for wholesome literary entertainment, not for doctrinal application.
My granny never really talked about those a lot, her roman catholic church basically told the church members they were not smart enough to understand the writing of the bible. The Catholic church in my opinion has strayed a good bit from the gospel, but then again some Catholic churchs are more Baptist like; than Roman Catholic. My grandmother changed when her then future husbands father talked to her about Christ and discussed it, at the dinner table when she came over, I'm very thankful cause my great grandpa was a very caring person and he was the only one that would really talk to her. Others wouldn't mainly because she was Italian immigrant and Roman Catholic which was polar opposite too the old Baptist families during that time. In many ways my great grandpa broke through boundaries and provided help for her. Because her Italian family disowned her and said God was sending her to hell because she was changing religions to Baptist and very heavily disowned her for messing with white baptists. Birmingham was called little Italy back in the day so yall have to realize there was a decent Italian American population.

I don't think it was ever said that it was good, the bible only says to treat slaves very well. Slaves in those times were not completely the same as we see today like I said., in the bible I forget who, but a man gave himself as a slave to somebody in order to gain favor and marry his daughter (may have been contract, not 100% sure) if I'm correct. I don't like it nor is slavery right. But the bible only mentions treating slaves well.
That's a good post. We need to be careful to examine historical context when comparing current and past situations. Slavery is a particularly difficult subject because it invokes such an immediate emotional reaction.

Also, there is no Biblical support for any way to heaven other than through Jesus Christ. Anything else, at least according to Scripture, is a false doctrine. Nobody is forced to accept that, of course. And neither is anyone compelled to believe that Christianity is the "correct" religion. On the other hand, you can't claim to believe the Bible without, well, believing all of the Bible.

We often like to avoid or dismiss Scripture that we don't really understand or that makes us feel uncomfortable. It can't possibly say that or mean that. Surely God wouldn't do or say this or that. Who in the world are we to determine what God wouldn't or shouldn't do or say? Just read Job to understand that. If we really try to seek the truth, we end up finding that it's not God's word that is wrong -- it's us.

I watched a seminar on these non Christ inspired books, it's fascinating because about every year it was explained that they find books that they think will change the scripture or are supposed to be in the scripture in archaeological digs, but you have to take what is said in the bible and realize these are additions that aren't Christ inspired, and at times counteract what the Christ inspired bible says. May add to history or be good reads. But anything that takes away or adds to the Christ inspired bible, is not gospel.
Okay gotcha. So I think you’re referring to new discoveries of codicies or manuscripts. The controversy with these is regarding translations of existing books in the NT. (like Acts) These debates are often heated, and 99% of the time involve the KJV. Can even find an example earlier in this thread.

Now this is completely different than discovering lost works of non-canonical books. The gospel of Thomas is the best known example—they found that in the 1940s. Huge discovery in scholarly circles. But despite that, there’s no mainstream Christian denomination (or even non-mainstream that I’m aware of) that’s accepted it, or any other ‘lost’ gospels that have been uncovered recently.

Yes, agreed on that. To clarify further, I believe apocrypha can refer to any work that's not accepted as canon in religion. I've even seen it applied as a term outside of religion.

We often like to avoid or dismiss Scripture that we don't really understand or that makes us feel uncomfortable. It can't possibly say that or mean that. Surely God wouldn't do or say this or that. Who in the world are we to determine what God wouldn't or shouldn't do or say? Just read Job to understand that. If we really try to seek the truth, we end up finding that it's not God's word that is wrong -- it's us.
That's what irks me a lot, people twist a verse or leave out a verse in the bible to get meaning of something that leaves context and previous verses out. You have to read the whole paragraph or story, that's like reading a news article, can't just read the 1st paragraph to understand the whole thing. It's all or nothing.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Make no mistake theres only way to heaven. The only way is through Jesus Christ. So Thankfull for Gods Grace and Mercy that he robbed heaven of its richest treasure and gave it to those who beleive in Jesus death, burial and ressurection overcoming Hell and the grave.

That's a good post. We need to be careful to examine historical context when comparing current and past situations. Slavery is a particularly difficult subject because it invokes such an immediate emotional reaction.

Also, there is no Biblical support for any way to heaven other than through Jesus Christ. Anything else, at least according to Scripture, is a false doctrine. Nobody is forced to accept that, of course. And neither is anyone compelled to believe that Christianity is the "correct" religion. On the other hand, you can't claim to believe the Bible without, well, believing all of the Bible.

Good post. Also guys, "slavery" in the old testament Isrealite culture was not like slavery that we think about; it was basically indentured servitude to work off debt. There was no ownership of persons, they would work off debt, and be free of servanthood even if it was still owed after 7 years. This is quick but Frank Turek does a good job of touching on this here

Very well said NCSNOW. It really is amazing how difficult and legalistic people try and make this. It is all about Jesus and God's Love and Grace given us through him. Being a true Christian doesn't make you perfect at all, it means you are admitting you are far from perfect and need the Love and Grace God offers by believing in Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection. If you truly believe and receive the free gift, then Love will change you and how you relate to others. It is not a list of 100 things to do or not to do. Love God and others and be a greatful humble servant.

Very well said NCSNOW. It really is amazing how difficult and legalistic people try and make this. It is all about Jesus and God's Love and Grace given us through him. Being a true Christian doesn't make you perfect at all, it means you are admitting you are far from perfect and need the Love and Grace God offers by believing in Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection. If you truly believe and receive the free gift, then Love will change you and how you relate to others. It is not a list of 100 things to do or not to do. Love God and others and be a greatful humble servant.
This is well said, a true Christian knows he is far from perfect and does not look down on others who commit sins because he knows the except for God's grace, there go I. I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior but my Christian walk will never be perfect and I have accepted that. It doesn't mean that I go do whatever I want to do, like the drinking, clubbing, swearing (I still have problems with that sometimes) and woman chasing I used to be a part of but I feel that whenever I stumble in my Christian walk, I ask God his forgiveness and knowing that what Jesus did at Cavalry covers my sins, I go on pressing towards the high calling of God.

This is well said, a true Christian knows he is far from perfect and does not look down on others who commit sins because he knows the except for God's grace, there go I. I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior but my Christian walk will never be perfect and I have accepted that. It doesn't mean that I go do whatever I want to do, like the drinking, clubbing, swearing (I still have problems with that sometimes) and woman chasing I used to be a part of but I feel that whenever I stumble in my Christian walk, I ask God his forgiveness and knowing that what Jesus did at Cavalry covers my sins, I go on pressing towards the high calling of God.
I feel like women chasing and sex in general is the big problem of my current generation. There's so many avenues to be a part of it, and the language other guys use a lot of the time. Still don't understand the pressures of women staying virgins but guys not being virgins as early as possible. I got so tired of the constant lustful images and things put in my face from Instagram, tik tok all that junk I just eventually deleted them. Like the saying in the bible if your eye causes you to sin gouge it out. I'm not literally gouging my eye out, which the bible I'm pretty sure isn't using literally but figuratively. It means to get rid of what causes you to sin and move on and live life. I had a hard time with women chasing before I started dating my now wife, and had to really gouge out some things to stop the lustful cycle. Social media was a big part because so many half naked women are thrown at your screen without warning. And just the thought of it will trigger deviations which the devil is so well at manipulating and using.

But I know if I fail I just get back up again, God doesn't hold your failures and sins in front of you and say look how bad you are. God is the one to pick you up and say let's try again son. And open the doorway to start afresh. God's grace is so prevailing.

I feel like women chasing and sex in general is the big problem of my current generation. There's so many avenues to be a part of it, and the language other guys use a lot of the time. Still don't understand the pressures of women staying virgins but guys not being virgins as early as possible. I got so tired of the constant lustful images and things put in my face from Instagram, tik tok all that junk I just eventually deleted them. Like the saying in the bible if your eye causes you to sin gouge it out. I'm not literally gouging my eye out, which the bible I'm pretty sure isn't using literally but figuratively. It means to get rid of what causes you to sin and move on and live life. I had a hard time with women chasing before I started dating my now wife, and had to really gouge out some things to stop the lustful cycle. Social media was a big part because so many half naked women are thrown at your screen without warning. And just the thought of it will trigger deviations which the devil is so well at manipulating and using.

But I know if I fail I just get back up again, God doesn't hold your failures and sins in front of you and say look how bad you are. God is the one to pick you up and say let's try again son. And open the doorway to start afresh. God's grace is so prevailing.
Sex outside of marriage has always been a great temptation for many generations of people and it has only gotten worse with the technology we have in existence today. It is really an obstacle for today's young people as you stated to get around in the Christian walk of faith. What used to be confined to the adult book stores and the seedy strip clubs is so easily accessible for anyone with a cell phone or computer and so much of the entertainment today is sensual in nature.

The Lord's Prayer that Jesus gave his disciples has the request "lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil" in it. I think that is something every Christian should be saying to oneself even more than ever in this day and time. God is always there to pick us up when we fall if we are saved but we also should do our best to avoid situations where we might become enticed into a situation that would be damaging to our testimony and our relationship with God.

Back