• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 3/21-3/24 Severe Weather

This day 3 mod for tors is kinda weenie lol from the SPC all I see on modeling ingredient wise is a QLCS with a mostly wind threat/and it’s attendant tornado threat. wind parameters aloft are favorable for flooding/training convection with the SSW flow aloft and lack of capping/deep moist column/pause in SRWs above 3km to 6km/parallel vectors between 1km and 6km. All this screams upscale/linear/slop and it’s just a bad setup in general for discrete convection, not to say there could be 1 or 2 individual storms out ahead the line, but as it moves east surface based instability decreases a lot into eastern MS/AL

Classic QLCS showing up on the 3k NAM at the end of its run. Good signs for a reduced threat, although not completely, of isolated supercells with 200 mile paths.

Classic QLCS showing up on the 3k NAM at the end of its run. Good signs for a reduced threat, although not completely, of isolated supercells with 200 mile paths.
Fv3 hires is probably more concerning than the 3k for SW Al and southern MS when it comes to tornadoes. You can see in the sim radar things get more cellular vs linear and there are some line segments where you could spin up the tail ends. Either way the wind damage threat looks really high with this imo as we are at least very likely to get a large qlcs chasing the higher cape and I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see a wake low develop on the back side of the large storm complex.

The 12z NAM soundings by the end of the run in the Carolinas and GA were attention grabbing but the timing of overnight into mid morning Thursday (using the icon) may limit the overall areal coverage

Last edited:
Fv3 hires is probably more concerning than the 3k for SW Al and southern MS when it comes to tornadoes. You can see in the sim rado9u0ar things get more cellular vs linear and there are some line segments where you could spin up the tail ends. Either way the wind damage threat looks really high with this imo as we are at least very likely to get a large qlcs chasing the higher cape and I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see a wake low develop on the back side of the large storm complex.

The 12z NAM soundings by the end of the run in the Carolinas and GA were attention grabbing but the timing of overnight into mid morning Thursday (using the icon) may limit the overall areal coverage

One caveat is referencing the last outbreak on Easter Sunday weekend of 2020 is that ended up producing 130+ tornadoes in a couple days, including over 20+ tornadoes in SC during overnight/early morning hours.

Something to note but the 15z RAP almost does away with the meso low and also brings the best of the warm sector all the way into central/north Mississippi.

Actually becoming more concerned for supercells being spit out over the Mississippi Delta, it seems some of the closer range models are picking up on it.

I can see why the significant area was put in this region, you could possibly have a regional type tornado outbreak here like spc says. And then again the threat area may be a bit more higher for wind damage but still high potential for tornado.Screenshot_20220320-142622-393.png

Actually becoming more concerned for supercells being spit out over the Mississippi Delta, it seems some of the closer range models are picking up on it.
That is typical of these setups of high shear, little in the way of an EML and with a SSW or SW wind at 500mb. That area seems to always spit out one or two big supercells before the line overtakes them.

I can see why the significant area was put in this region, you could possibly have a regional type tornado outbreak here like spc says. And then again the threat area may be a bit more higher for wind damage but still high potential for tornado.View attachment 115932
That area circled is actually why this setup is gonna be messy, to much of that divergence aloft and it’s a junk fest/mainly a QLCS threat

That area circled is actually why this setup is gonna be messy, to much of that divergence aloft and it’s a junk fest/mainly a QLCS threat
Junk fest with high end paramters lol. Even if just initially with convection popping you could have some significant tornadoes in that corridor. Apparently spc and nws see something that's ringing bells in there heads, maybe they have private models they use that indicate something we may not see.

Now that I think about it we had a similar event back int like april 2019 when I first joined it flopped big. Moderate risk into Louisiana and Mississippi. And ended up producing a ef3. But other than that nothing much.. Ineed to check that event I think this one is a bit different but that one was a incredibly bad slopfest that produced on the very southern end.

Bham afternoon disco:

LONG TERM...
/Updated at 0200 PM CDT Sun Mar 20 2022/

Tuesday through Wednesday.

The GFS model continues to be an outlier with regard to arrival
time of the QLCS on Tuesday. Other models are about 6 hours slower
than GFS, including the higher resolution 3km NAM. Giving more
weight to the 3km NAM, delayed arrival of severe threat until 4 pm
on Tuesday, and ended severe threat at 6 am Wednesday. 3km NAM is
also showing some discrete cells developing along the MS/AL state
line ahead of the main QLCS, but that development does not even
get going until 6 PM. A lot of uncertainly still regarding severe