• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2024 Tropical Thread Reboot

GFS has a weak storm that takes up residence in the west GOM from 192 till the end of the run

I’m talking about what appears to be a weak circulation in the NW Gulf now that the ICON has been developing for many runs in a row.

Watching the 6z and 12z gfs run for this potential gulf storm, tells me a front will pick it up in the western gulf and swing it NNE towards eastern gulf. It’s becoming little obvious that could happen.

Looks like we will have to wait anther 2 weeks

Andy says we have to wait 2 weeks more and this is the ATL in 16 days

1725233631493.png

Last edited:
Watching the 6z and 12z gfs run for this potential gulf storm, tells me a front will pick it up in the western gulf and swing it NNE towards eastern gulf. It’s becoming little obvious that could happen.
To your point with a front half-way thru the GOM you would think no way this 1003MB low will bury itself into central america. Lets see

1725229423919.png

And its buried

1725229824009.png

Last edited:
At least the ICON is trying. 5 areas in a normal season that could become a storm

1725247718557.png

1725248151953.png

Last edited:
It ain't over until it's over. Matthew did this in 2016 last week of Sept into Oct.

View attachment 150646

And the season looked as good as it looks now.
View attachment 150647

I’d love for it to be over, but realize that’s just an unrealistic dream. I know about Matthew of 2016, which required all to evacuate. That was the worst hit in this area since David of 1979. What a mess!

There is also the matter of increased amplification and separations between the heat ridge complex. Cold fronts in an emergent -ENSO are not supposed to get as far south as Interstate 20 during the summer. Yet, that has happened repeatedly in the month just past, and is already shown on synoptic charts on Labor Day! If something tropical does get organized and gets to the left of the suppressed Bermuda High, the most likely track scenario would involve the Gulf Coast between Matagorda TX and Pensacola FL. The ridging in the +PNA position would afford more digging of shortwaves through the Great Plains , affording the chance of a northward recurvature of the tropical system and linkage with a cold front, much like what has happened to Beryl. Only this time, the chance exists for a stronger storm. We will not know if the Lone Star State or the Deep South will be in play until probably the 12z model runs on September 4. Just know that the potential is there. Besides, there are more disturbances in the African "conga line" which may develop, as we are entering peak hurricane season. And we still have three months before we are (probably) out of harm's way. I might also warn that climatology argues strongly for an autumn tropical cyclone in the Mid-Atlantic and New England coastline.

Prepared by Meteorologist LARRY COSGROVE on
Monday, September 2, 2024 at 2:05 A.M. CT

Back