• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2021 hurricane season thread

Yeah not much noise in the models through the next couple of weeks. Should be quiet unless we get a homegrown in the next 10 days. I figure by late July we should start to see more storms showing up in long range modeling.
That front over the weekend into next week probably gets something going but I'd guess it's ots unless something weird happens

That front over the weekend into next week probably gets something going but I'd guess it's ots unless something weird happens

It's been a long time since we had something like a Diana or Amex pop off the SE coast and really threaten.

I just plotted the latest IMME ensemble mean 500mb anomaly forecast for ASO w/ a global mean removed (Those + height anomalies are actually twice as large in the raw data)

Probably the ugliest looking steering pattern you could possibly ask for at the peak of the hurricane season

I just plotted the latest IMME ensemble mean 500mb anomaly forecast for ASO w/ a global mean removed (Those + height anomalies are actually twice as large in the raw data)

Probably the ugliest looking steering pattern you could possibly ask for at the peak of the hurricane season

Ouch. Hope that's wrong. Interestingly today Dr Knapp was highlighting the likelihood of many more US landfalls because of steering so it makes me wonder if they had seen this as well.

Ouch. Hope that's wrong. Interestingly today Dr Knapp was highlighting the likelihood of many more US landfalls because of steering so it makes me wonder if they had seen this as well.

This is what Hurricane Hugo's steering pattern looked like fwiw. Point is, that 500mb pattern is ugly

compday.p9_UTu4Bhc.gif

This is what Hurricane Hugo's steering pattern looked like fwiw. Point is, that 500mb pattern is ugly

View attachment 86581

Those ULL over the lower Miss Valley also play into the big hits....helps to keep canes strong and sustainable on a due NW or NNW heading a la Hugo and Fran...bringing the core winds well inland....

Those ULL over the lower Miss Valley also play into the big hits....helps to keep canes strong and sustainable on a due NW or NNW heading a la Hugo and Fran...bringing the core winds well inland....
That’s is true. They also can help to bring in a lot of moisture out well ahead of the storm. One of the effects of Hugo that was forgotten was the flooding rains that came in starting about 18 hours before landfall along the Savannah River…. many areas in southern SC and southeast GA saw as much 10-12 inches of rain before the storm even came ashore

Hurricane Felicia's IR presentation tonight reminds me a lot of Hurricane Isabel (2003). Annular hurricanes are awesome

View attachment 86676

View attachment 86677

When Felicia was becoming annular, it also had pronounced mesovorticies much like Isabel...in fact, even though, it was nighttime (no visible sat imagery), you can see how as Felicia really begun to ramp up, a strong low level vortices structure completely isolated itself dead center of her and eroded rapidly (it was like watching the conclusion of a microscale ERC..this was about 2 days ago... it was quite a sight to behold

I am going to PCB Aug 5 - 10 for vacation. Hope it last a few more weeks till that trip is over. I rather fight passing thunderstorms than a TS.

I'm heading to Miami First week of August. My wife isn't sad about this SAL fart.

Back