• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I’ve had many rides up that mountain where it was sunny at the bottom and pounding snow when you round the top. Was there for a good NW flow event in 2012’ish. 6-8+ with barely a dusting when we went to eat at the Daniel Boon Inn that night.

I had a childhood friend that moved up to Avery county around 1995. My very first trip up to visit was during the Blizzard of 96. We ended up with a couple inches in NE Georgia and a couple more in the upstate, but as soon as you made that climb past Marion, the snow depth was legit. I don't even remember how much snow they had that season, but it was a ton.

Had my first "this weather is ridiculous" moment during this warm spell today.

I don't really care if whether I see sustained cold, but the fact that it's near 80 degrees is ridiculous (and the thing that's funny is it's much cooler in the house since the heat is generally kept in the 60s).

Had my first "this weather is ridiculous" moment during this warm spell today.

I don't really care if whether I see sustained cold, but the fact that it's near 80 degrees is ridiculous (and the thing that's funny is it's much cooler in the house since the heat is generally kept in the 60s).
I've had my AC on for weeks now, just like summer. I just heard it kick on again. ??

3 Things,

1. Nice new spider sitting on his web. ?
2. Weeds are growing again. ?
3. I'm running the AC because it's 73 in the house and humidity is 68%. ?

Certainly is a December to Remember.
Yep I’ve never had to worry about running into spiders webs while taking down Christmas lights before this December. ??????

I had a childhood friend that moved up to Avery county around 1995. My very first trip up to visit was during the Blizzard of 96. We ended up with a couple inches in NE Georgia and a couple more in the upstate, but as soon as you made that climb past Marion, the snow depth was legit. I don't even remember how much snow they had that season, but it was a ton.
I remember that storm well we had almost a foot with heavy sleet on top. Mtns stayed all snow though. Haven't really seen nothing like that since.

I remember that storm well we had almost a foot with heavy sleet on top. Mtns stayed all snow though. Haven't really seen nothing like that since.
Would you say Newland is settled in between the peaks of Grandfather-Linville and Bakersville-Roan?

Trying to figure out why Newland's average annual snowfall is greater than Blowing, Boone, Roan, Bakersville, Linville, and Elk Park. Topography, Luck, etc?

This has been December to forget. We can’t buy either cold or moisture much less have them coincide.

And then a very good friend of mine I’ve known for years died this morning after a battle with a glioblastoma brain tumor. ?

Are you talking about Linville Ave heading towards Grandfather?
No I'm talking about the climb from North Cove to Linville Falls. But thats another good spot Linville Ave up to grandfather seen flurries to whiteout on that rd a many time. Roads be good in Linville get to the top and be covered. We always go to the top where they have the highland games and play in that field with our son.

Would you say Newland is settled in between the peaks of Grandfather-Linville and Bakersville-Roan?

Trying to figure out why Newland's average annual snowfall is greater than Blowing, Boone, Roan, Bakersville, Linville, and Elk Park. Topography, Luck, etc?
Yes with Beech to the north. It sits at almost 3,000ft. Thats why it does so good and the western part of town generally does better. The closer you get to elk park and the state line but not past is the sweet spot.

Just leafing through the Jan thread. I'd like to see someone find winters that had djf all solidly BN. I'm not talking -2--1 or barely bn find a year that had all 3 well BN. I'd also challenge anyone to find a year that had significant snow/winter storms in all 3 months you can bring march/Nov in of you'd like to see if you can get 3 of 5. My guess is you are going to find a small % outside of the mountains and maybe the classic wedge zones.

All I'm saying is the idea that we in the SE lock cold and endlessly cycle through winter storms from December to Feb is the exception and in reality most of our winters are typically defined by shorter periods of cold or multiple snows within a 14-28 day period
I'll bet you're right about that. I'd also wager that many, if not most winters have a couple of two week generally cold periods/patterns that would support a winter storm.

I don't know who is expecting wall to wall cold and snow down here. That would be dumb. But I don't think we should expect endless normal to above normal either.

December has been an unmitigated disaster for winter weather or even seasonably cold weather. January looks like toast for the first two weeks, if you take out what may be a 2-4 day cold shot. We'll see what happens after that, but seeing the models continue to go to crap at the end of their range is discouraging.

You could argue that they don't do well with pattern changes. Or you could argue that the end of the range isn't worth a grain of salt. You could argue that they are overdoing this or that. But when we're stuck in a generally warm pattern, I'm more inclined to believe a medium/long range prediction of warmer than normal in the guidance than vice versa.

I know everyone wants to find the silver lining, but there really isn't much of one right now, outside of a misapplication of some ensemble data or a few frames of an operational run.

I believe we will get into a better regime for a time this winter, maybe even more than one. Because we almost always do. But so far, there is no compelling evidence of it happening anytime soon. That could start to change soon, though. So no reason to give up or write off this or that month. Still plenty of winter left.

Yes with Beech to the north. It sits at almost 3,000ft. Thats why it does so good and the western part of town generally does better. The closer you get to elk park and the state line but not past is the sweet spot.
This is exactly right. My friend first lived around Crossnore before moving to Elk Park. Crossnore was higher and colder, but less snow. Elk Park is right before the drop into Roan Mountain, the primo spot for upslope enhanced snowfall, even though it’s only around 3200’ or so.

This is exactly right. My friend first lived around Crossnore before moving to Elk Park. Crossnore was higher and colder, but less snow. Elk Park is right before the drop into Roan Mountain, the primo spot for upslope enhanced snowfall, even though it’s only around 3200’ or so.
My wife's family is from crossnore. And yeah I've seen it snow for days in that area with 46in on the ground in elk park no jk with walls of snow 10ft high drifts on Carvers gap/Roan mtn. Correction it was 36in right at a yard stick in elk park. But the walls of snow on Roan I will never forget.

Last edited:
So near where 194 meets 19E near the cranberry gap area is ideal snow locale?

Back