• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I think GEFS weren’t as good for the SE because the system was much more amped and further north than previously thought. This is going to be a tight rope type of forecast we want a southern trend for more areas to get in on whatever action comes about

Last winter 20/21 here D,J,F all 3 avg BN. However Snowfall was way BN as well.

Only year that comes to mind for my area was the great 2010-2011 winter. December January and February all had at least 2 snows of 2 or more inches. Funny thing was no single storm was more then 3 inches. The most snow I had on the ground was 4.5 inches and that was from 2 different systems a few days apart from one another. If not for the 12 inch snow in 2016 this would be my 1st ranked winter since living here in 2006. Just the sheer amount of storms we got was incredible even though we never had huge snow that winter. Starting in mid December we got a snow on average of around 2 inches every 2 weeks through mid February. I guess it does show how rare it is since outside of the mountains there’s not many on this board from the southeast that see snow as consistently as I do. Basically it’s happened once for me in 15 years.
For east of the Apps, the winter of 2010-2011 was basically cooked after the Christmas storm. We got some sloppy mess in early January and a couple dustings from there, but nothing else that I can recall. That winter was a huge disappointment to me. Started off amazingly then went to crap IMBY.

I think the best wall to wall winter I can remember here was 2009-2010, though. First major storm was December 19, last was early March. Major storm in late January and a few small events in February (from the DC Snowmageddon storms).

Really trying to hone down the area I want to be in. The Linville area I like because even though mountainous, its like its an area of flatland thats fairly expansive within the mountain with large lots and big fields. Blowing Rock is nice, but it feels like its so frontrange, as if you just got in the mountains, whereas Linville, Sugar, Newland, Crossnore, and Banner Elk feel like youre deep in the mountains.
You need to go to buladean then in roan valley high elevation prime NW flow. Cheaper land too Avery county has gotten expensive due to all the retired people and ski slopes.

For east of the Apps, the winter of 2010-2011 was basically cooked after the Christmas storm. We got some sloppy mess in early January and a couple dustings from there, but nothing else that I can recall. That winter was a huge disappointment to me. Started off amazingly then went to crap IMBY.

I think the best wall to wall winter I can remember here was 2009-2010, though. First major storm was December 19, last was early March. Major storm in late January and a few small events in February (from the DC Snowmageddon storms).
09-10 was epic up this way first and only one of a few times I had fresh snow on top of old snow. Ground stayed white for weeks up here was very pretty ?

I remember when I was living in Rockingham,we got two good snow events in the 2010/11 winter. The Chrismas day storm where it we changed from rain to a heavy wet snow event and from what I remembed, we recived 4-5 inches of snow. The temperatures also stayed around freezing throughout the day due to the sun never coming out. Also January system where we got roughly 9 inches of snow between the late night hours and noon before a change over to freezing rain. I also remembed the snow staying on the ground for almost a week due to how cold the tempertures were and the snow felt hard. Far as 2009/10 winter,yeah that was basically the closest thing we had to wall to wall cold in the 21st centruy.

Yeah, I never thought I’d complain about 3-5”, but here I am
Shortwave is over data sparse Pacific
Shortwave hasn’t been sampled yet
2 pieces are coming together to make this monster
Lots of moving parts
Model shifts still likely
48 hours is an eternity in weather

Back