• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Elk Park is listed as 3166 elevation, Cranberry Gap 3515, and Newland 3606. So I guess stay on the east side of Elk Park but west side of Newland.
For flow snow u wana be as close as possible to the state line but not past it. Every mile toward the line from Newland gets better longer duration. On the flip side crossnore and areas in the southern part of county do better with miller a/b

For flow snow u wana be as close as possible to the state line but not past it. Every mile toward the line from Newland gets better longer duration. On the flip side crossnore and areas in the southern part of county do better with miller a/b

This, basically Elk Park.

74b788ce0de899347884b58fc359379f.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there homes between Newland and Elk Park that ever go on the market, or lots for sale? Not sure if you travel that area much.

Are there homes between Newland and Elk Park that ever go on the market, or lots for sale? Not sure if you travel that area much.
Idk im sure its something a local realtor could keep you informed about theres several in downtown Newland. Call one tell them what u want and who knows man might get lucky.

Idk im sure its something a local realtor could keep you informed about theres several in downtown Newland. Call one tell them what u want and who knows man might get lucky.
Really trying to hone down the area I want to be in. The Linville area I like because even though mountainous, its like its an area of flatland thats fairly expansive within the mountain with large lots and big fields. Blowing Rock is nice, but it feels like its so frontrange, as if you just got in the mountains, whereas Linville, Sugar, Newland, Crossnore, and Banner Elk feel like youre deep in the mountains.

Really trying to hone down the area I want to be in. The Linville area I like because even though mountainous, its like its an area of flatland thats fairly expansive within the mountain with large lots and big fields. Blowing Rock is nice, but it feels like its so frontrange, as if you just got in the mountains, whereas Linville, Sugar, Newland, Crossnore, and Banner Elk feel like youre deep in the mountains.
Banner Elk is quite nice. We did a vacation there in 2020.

I've been accumulating land up there in this area. Up to Ashe county as well. Flat land is tough to come by and very expensive, my lots are all sloped but buildable.

I've been accumulating land up there in this area. Up to Ashe county as well. Flat land is tough to come by and very expensive, my lots are all sloped but buildable.
Ashe has Lansing and West Jefferson. Ive been through West Jefferson and its a very nice area. Id love to go back and see it, as I just didnt have the level of appreciation for it when I was young and drove it. I find myself leaning towards Watauga, Avery area the most. I also like the Smoky Mountain area between hwy 441 Smokemont region to I40. However, there is no commerce at all and nowhere to reside since its a national park.

So that leaves me with the Newland, Linville, Elk Park, and Banner Elk areas.

Ashe has Lansing and West Jefferson. Ive been through West Jefferson and its a very nice area. Id love to go back and see it, as I just didnt have the level of appreciation for it when I was young and drove it. I find myself leaning towards Watauga, Avery area the most. I also like the Smoky Mountain area between hwy 441 Smokemont region to I40. However, there is no commerce at all and nowhere to reside since its a national park.

So that leaves me with the Newland, Linville, Elk Park, and Banner Elk areas.
Yeah I don't really look below 3000'. If your building new there's a lot to consider with septic/utilities etc. Avery is easier in that case. Check out seven devils too I have two lots up there. Nice to have the ski resort community without all the seasonal madness, just tubing.

Yeah I don't really look below 3000'. If your building new there's a lot to consider with septic/utilities etc. Avery is easier in that case. Check out seven devils too I have two lots up there. Nice to have the ski resort community without all the seasonal madness, just tubing.
Will do, now. Lol

Somebody tell me again how bad the long range NAM sucks! Please????

Just leafing through the Jan thread. I'd like to see someone find winters that had djf all solidly BN. I'm not talking -2--1 or barely bn find a year that had all 3 well BN. I'd also challenge anyone to find a year that had significant snow/winter storms in all 3 months you can bring march/Nov in of you'd like to see if you can get 3 of 5. My guess is you are going to find a small % outside of the mountains and maybe the classic wedge zones.

All I'm saying is the idea that we in the SE lock cold and endlessly cycle through winter storms from December to Feb is the exception and in reality most of our winters are typically defined by shorter periods of cold or multiple snows within a 14-28 day period
Only year that comes to mind for my area was the great 2010-2011 winter. December January and February all had at least 2 snows of 2 or more inches. Funny thing was no single storm was more then 3 inches. The most snow I had on the ground was 4.5 inches and that was from 2 different systems a few days apart from one another. If not for the 12 inch snow in 2016 this would be my 1st ranked winter since living here in 2006. Just the sheer amount of storms we got was incredible even though we never had huge snow that winter. Starting in mid December we got a snow on average of around 2 inches every 2 weeks through mid February. I guess it does show how rare it is since outside of the mountains there’s not many on this board from the southeast that see snow as consistently as I do. Basically it’s happened once for me in 15 years.

Reactions: SD
Back