• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Most on here weren't alive back in the good ole days. I'm 40 and barely remember the 80s. That was the tail end of the good times. Most of my life winters have been crap except for a few periods like March 93, January 2000, the winter of 09-10 etc. Garbage is what I expect every year. The hardest part for me is knowing how it used to be. It used to be common for places like GSP, CLT and RDU to have double digit years. This image is from Brad Panovich since he loves to constantly remind us it doesn't snow here anymore like it used to. Sure there were always duds, but the duds were followed by pretty good years. So the ones saying this is the southeast and it shouldn't snow(I'm speaking of the 85 corridor) is mistaken. Maybe it shouldn't anymore, but it hasn't always been like this. I don't think anyone from GSP up to RDU would complain if we got snow like we did in the past. If you would then living in the southeast might indeed not be for you ??Screenshot_20211229-104957_Gallery.jpg

Most on here weren't alive back in the good ole days. I'm 40 and barely remember the 80s. That was the tail end of the good times. Most of my life winters have been crap except for a few periods like March 93, January 2000, the winter of 09-10 etc. Garbage is what I expect every year. The hardest part for me is knowing how it used to be. It used to be common for places like GSP, CLT and RDU to have double digit years. This image is from Brad Panovich since he loves to constantly remind us it doesn't snow here anymore like it used to. Sure there were always duds, but the duds were followed by pretty good years. So the ones saying this is the southeast and it shouldn't snow(I'm speaking of the 85 corridor) is mistaken. Maybe it shouldn't anymore, but it hasn't always been like this. I don't think anyone from GSP up to RDU would complain if we got snow like we did in the past. If you would then living in the southeast might indeed not be for you ??View attachment 99687
Im 47, Ive lived and remembered "those days". Never thought theyd be gone for good.

Yeah all this talk about saving on heating cost, don't know about you but I have a heat pump don't use gas or oil and like you I'm running the AC. I'm not saving on anything Lol
What i'm about to say is purely anecdotal and completely individualized. I also have a heat pump (from 1996 and all original parts minus a contactor and a capacitor) but solely looking at my Duke bill, I spend about $100 less a month in JJA than i do in DJF.

Again, this is lacking anything that empirical evidence, and is 100% jumping to the conclusion of Correlation = causation.

Just leafing through the Jan thread. I'd like to see someone find winters that had djf all solidly BN. I'm not talking -2--1 or barely bn find a year that had all 3 well BN. I'd also challenge anyone to find a year that had significant snow/winter storms in all 3 months you can bring march/Nov in of you'd like to see if you can get 3 of 5. My guess is you are going to find a small % outside of the mountains and maybe the classic wedge zones.

All I'm saying is the idea that we in the SE lock cold and endlessly cycle through winter storms from December to Feb is the exception and in reality most of our winters are typically defined by shorter periods of cold or multiple snows within a 14-28 day period

Just leafing through the Jan thread. I'd like to see someone find winters that had djf all solidly BN. I'm not talking -2--1 or barely bn find a year that had all 3 well BN. I'd also challenge anyone to find a year that had significant snow/winter storms in all 3 months you can bring march/Nov in of you'd like to see if you can get 3 of 5. My guess is you are going to find a small % outside of the mountains and maybe the classic wedge zones.
I’m picking up what you’re putting down. Sometimes we’re all guilty of asking for a little too much.

Im sure all 3 will be rare to find below normal at their respective time. Now comapare them to the last few years of normal and then there might be something.

Still waiting on some snow in Sugar, Beech, Grandfather Mnt. Like someone else said earlier, I only need cold as a means of achieving snow.

Im sure all 3 will be rare to find below normal at their respective time. Now comapare them to the last few years of normal and then there might be something.

Still waiting on some snow in Sugar, Beech, Grandfather Mnt. Like someone else said earlier, I only need cold as a means of achieving snow.
I’m waiting on some Sugar mountain snow as well. Carefully planning my ski trip. Nothing quite like Banner Elk under a blanket of thick snow.

I’m waiting on some Sugar mountain snow as well. Carefully planning my ski trip. Nothing quite like Banner Elk under a blanket of thick snow.
Me and the wife like to go to Nick's Pub have a few drinks and watch it snow. Pretty sad up here this year so far. Haven't even had an advisory level NW flow yet. Hopefully by mid January that will change.

Back