• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

The technology that gives us the ability to look at long range forecast projections is one of the worst things that ever happened to mankind. Lol
Here we sit in October all down and out about potential warmth or no snow 3-4 months out, no wonder we're a sad society
It's funny if you take some of the recent top analogs for this year you get a snowfall range of T-12. So it's easy to harp on the good/bad years but geez not much is off the table. The negativity is incredible

It's funny if you take some of the recent top analogs for this year you get a snowfall range of T-12. So it's easy to harp on the good/bad years but geez not much is off the table. The negativity is incredible
I'd say we are running about 2 months ahead of schedule for the full winter cliff jumping this year. December will be interesting. What's after cliff jumping? Is it the might as well just root for summer/pool season crowd? If that happens before the end of the year it will be painful.

I'd say we are running about 2 months ahead of schedule for the full winter cliff jumping this year. December will be interesting. What's after cliff jumping? Is it the might as well just root for summer/pool season crowd? If that happens before the end of the year it will be painful.
Yeah it gets earlier and earlier every year. Back when I first started on these interwebz everyone held on until Feb maybe you'd get a freak out earlier if there was a terrible NW trend. It's fun to look at different years and develop a general idea but there's too much internal variability within the season to really write things off at +45 days from the start of met winter

Winter isn't over this year. You can't end something that won't start. Winter last ended Jan. 2018, with a freak snow storm in Dec '18, and hasn't returned yet.

When is the last time we've had a true arctic airmass come to the southeast and last more than 2 days? I know i'm a very sarcastic person, but objectively, when is the last time we haven't stared at Ridge after Ridge on the east coast?

Winter isn't over this year. You can't end something that won't start. Winter last ended Jan. 2018, with a freak snow storm in Dec '18, and hasn't returned yet.

When is the last time we've had a true arctic airmass come to the southeast and last more than 2 days? I know i'm a very sarcastic person, but objectively, when is the last time we haven't stared at Ridge after Ridge on the east coast?
Most April into early May and last Dec/Jan
LoNW_Koj9l.png
24hgiNu2b7.png

In all seriousness we have done a great job in our region at catching all the bad breaks and seeing all the things that could go wrong go wrong over the last 2 years. To me it falls into you win some you lose some which is especially heightened in our region where losing =0 snow

The longrange outlooks are ridiculous when it comes to winter in the southeast. We might get nothing, we might get two or three nice events, or we might get one huge one. I've seen sucky winters bring one huge snow storm, and I've seen winters where the pattern was ripe but we still got zilch. It's gonna do what it's gonna do.

The longrange outlooks are ridiculous when it comes to winter in the southeast. We might get nothing, we might get two or three nice events, or we might get one huge one. I've seen sucky winters bring one huge snow storm, and I've seen winters where the pattern was ripe but we still got zilch. It's gonna do what it's gonna do.
Exactly. I never understood why people pay any attention to long range forecasts. It's a waste of time and it has no value because it's hardly ever right. There are just too many variables in play that can throw a wrench into the forecast.

Exactly. I never understood why people pay any attention to long range forecasts. It's a waste of time and it has no value because it's hardly ever right. There are just too many variables in play that can throw a wrench into the forecast.
There are some things that help when looking long range such as ocean temps but trying to figure out months down the road in a hostile environment usually doesn't work.

yeah-i-member-memberberries.gif

Back