• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most weather has some kind of purpose. Hurricanes for instance i believe transfer warm air from the tropics to the poles and that helps balance things or so i think. But i never understood the purpose of tornadoes.
They are just smaller versions of hurricanes

On a landfalling hurricane, are there scientists/chasers placing instruments to get accurate readings of what actually happens in the storm's path? As in fastening them to concrete structures, etc? Maybe that's easier said than done?

Man this place is quiet, you'd think we just finished tracking a storm or something for the last week........
Lol nobody’s here because there hasn’t been pictures of flattened homes and businesses. Half of wxtwitter spent last night crying about it not being a category 5

I am shocked that there haven't been reports of 170+ mph gusts. I would think with 150 mph sustained winds that there would be gusts significantly higher.

You never get those gusts onshore. Max gust with Michael (a 157mph storm) was 139 before sensor failure
So in other words the maximum sustained winds is a little deceiving. How often does anyone on land actually experience the maximum sustained winds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back