• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not deceiving.... first of all, the official wind speed of a TC is going to be the maximum measured winds within that system, which 99.9% of the time will be over water, second of all, in a system this powerful it is very difficult to get accurate wind measurements onshore due to sensors being destroyed or knocked offline and finally if a tree bashes in a house or the roof is blown off or life is in jeopardy why does it matter if it's 130 mph or a 150 mph?

It's not deceiving.... first of all, the official wind speed of a TC is going to be the maximum measured winds within that system, which 99.9% of the time will be over water, second of all, in a system this powerful it is very difficult to get accurate wind measurements onshore due to sensors being destroyed or knocked offline and finally if a tree bashes in a house or the roof is blown off or life is in jeopardy why does it matter if it's 130 mph or a 150 mph?
We have estimates generally for the highest wind speed on land if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, 130 vs 150 makes no difference if your home is destroyed. Think highest measured in Hazel for NC was actually kind of low for example but estimates peg the actual highest windspeeds to have been in excess of 140 on Oak Island.

We have estimates generally for the highest wind speed on land if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, 130 vs 150 makes no difference if your home is destroyed. Think highest measured in Hazel for NC was actually kind of low for example but estimates peg the actual highest windspeeds to have been in excess of 140 on Oak Island.
Correct and there is that also..... damage assessments will be conducted when it is safe to do so and they will give a better understanding of actual winds. Again, Michael is such example.

Just seems like such a petty argument, especially less than 12 hours after landfall

I’m supposed to go river tubing on the Cape Fear Saturday mid morning, but I’m afraid Laura is going to ruin that. First world problems, I know.

I thought Laura was going to be a pattern changer ? If a cat 4 hurricane can't change the pattern what will ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back