• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Discussion

I also plotted deep-layer wind shear anomalies using the ERA-5, and they're quite alarming. 4th lowest June-July wind shear on record in the Atlantic Main Development Region and the wind shear in the eastern Atlantic is at record lows.

Going to be a very nasty Cape Verde hurricane season with lots of long-lived TCs

Shear_percentiles_2020_crop.png

ERA5_shear_anomalies_1979_2020.jpg

I also plotted deep-layer wind shear anomalies using the ERA-5, and they're quite alarming. 4th lowest June-July wind shear on record in the Atlantic Main Development Region and the wind shear in the eastern Atlantic is at record lows.

Going to be a very nasty Cape Verde hurricane season with lots of long-lived TCs

View attachment 46186

View attachment 46187

Maybe we can break the 200mph barrier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw an article that said 2005 had warmer SSTs but this year looks warmer to me.

5cce11b47ea3fdb54a2425cf86fe87dc.png

69487a55da8d074132282292532247d3.png

Looks like models are sniffing out some subtropical low development but no real hurricanes downstream in the members

I looked at the 6z GEFS members hour by hour, and it looks like they all die out around 144hr at 45-50W. You’d think we’d see some red tracks late towards the east coast so I decided to check it out

a649888b1cee5f782409dcc725d9b763.jpg

Some decent shear is present in this region which is definitely not helping in the 8-12 day time period for development and sustainability of a tropical depression

bf42aa92a235aeadc2155154d7b21d4b.jpg

Only one run and only one model, but GEFS is similar but at this lead time the shear is a little smoothed.

We may get lucky for most of August avoiding a large storm considering all the favorable ingredients.

Looks like models are sniffing out some subtropical low development but no real hurricanes downstream in the members

I looked at the 6z GEFS members hour by hour, and it looks like they all die out around 144hr at 45-50W. You’d think we’d see some red tracks late towards the east coast so I decided to check it out

a649888b1cee5f782409dcc725d9b763.jpg

Some decent shear is present in this region which is definitely not helping in the 8-12 day time period for development and sustainability of a tropical depression

bf42aa92a235aeadc2155154d7b21d4b.jpg

Only one run and only one model, but GEFS is similar but at this lead time the shear is a little smoothed.

We may get lucky for most of August avoiding a large storm considering all the favorable ingredients.

Just heating up the ocean for the main event.

Another area of interest in the eastern Atlantic.040024F9-A2C9-49EC-A960-83DBE5ABA869.png
1. Showers and thunderstorms located a few hundred miles south of the
Cabo Verde Islands are associated with a westward-moving tropical
wave. Some slow development of this system is possible over the
next few days as it crosses the tropical eastern Atlantic. By the
middle of next week, environmental conditions are expected to
become less favorable for development.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Models are suggesting the E Pacific will have much stronger activity than the Atlantic over the next 2 weeks. Let’s see how the period 8/9-22 ends up verifying for the 2 basins. The Atlantic is due a breather to say the least!

Back