• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't there then, but that is what they had. The good winter for me here was 2014-15, especially from end January on. That march system was incredibly good. We had 9-10 inches snow and 2 inch sleet! Places around me saw a foot or more easily.
Fab Feb '15 had 2 incredible weeks of cold/snow/ice here in Chatt. 3 events, each one better. 7-8 inches of cream cheese snow on the 25th. Incidentally, the last snow here over 6 inches. Over 4 inches, actually. Last Feb had 2.7 officially, 4 inches unofficially at my house.

Fab Feb '15 had 2 incredible weeks of cold/snow/ice here in Chatt. 3 events, each one better. 7-8 inches of cream cheese snow on the 25th. Incidentally, the last snow here over 6 inches.
Feb 15 will forever go down as my least favorite winter month ever. I've never seen so much cold and so much moisture with no snow or sleet to show for it.

Here's why I don't feel too bad about gloating over '93.. after 1996, Chattanooga did not record a seasonal snow total over 2 inches until 2006-07. There is some missing data, but as far as my memory holds, it's true. I think maybe there was a 4 inch snow that melted within hours in the late 90s, but like I said, missing data.

Edit: cyclogent can confirm maybe.

Last edited:
I remember a freak snow that happened in the mid 90s. It was in late winter or early spring. A snow squall came out of nowhere and dumped like 3 or 4" in the area i was living but most areas didn't get any snow. I think it was in 96.

For those in the western half of TN, mentioning the March 1993 storm is sacrilegious.
The same could be said for eastern NC. Fortunately I was not born yet then. Some of the biggest snows for the Deep South can be RDU screwjobs.

What's the worst ice storm you've experienced in Chatt ?
Feb 96... but that was inch of ice, inch of sleet, 2 inches of snow, followed by brutal cold.. close to zero temps. Chattanooga is a varied elevation city.. I've seen 34 rain in valley, and go up a ridge 300 ft, and see ice storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back