• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 96... but that was inch of ice, inch of sleet, 2 inches of snow, followed by brutal cold.. close to zero temps. Chattanooga is a varied elevation city.. I've seen 34 rain in valley, and go up a ridge 300 ft, and see ice storm.
95-96 was a winter to remember. Atlanta didn't get out of the teens one day in Feb 96. Then in March it snowed on the first day of spring !

Chattanooga sucks for ice storms.. not sure why exactly... We either get 6-8 inch snow, or flurries.. rarely ice, or blizzard. lol

1996 is the last time Dallas had single digits.. (February 4)

17 days later it hit 95 one degree off the all-time high for February lmao

it gets better... March 9 the low was 20 degrees... what a fascinating stretch this must have been

1996 is the last time Dallas had single digits.. (February 4)

17 days later it hit 95 one degree off the all-time high for February lmao

it gets better... March 9 the low was 20 degrees...
Longwaves, for the win...

Comes down to decadal storm tract plotting... I think the Southern App Chain and Gulf of Mexico play a part in that too.
The mountains can cause folks east of the mountains heartache when it stops or slows down cold air; or robs moisture from clippers coming in from the NW. But those same mountains give us cold air damming (CAD). This can set us up for large winter storms if we get the right weather configuration.
aaaa.JPGaaaa2.JPG

The mountains can cause folks east of the mountains heartache when it stops or slows down cold air; or robs moisture from clippers coming in from the NW. But those same mountains give us cold air damming (CAD). This can set us up for large winter storms if we get the right weather configuration.
View attachment 51938View attachment 51939
I remember that storm well woke up with no power nana was making pancakes on woodstove. Cut my finger for the first time playing with a knife and that map says all snow but I remember sleet on top about an inch or two we probably did have a foot or two but the sleet compacted it. Never seen another like the blizzard of 96

I remember that storm well woke up with no power nana was making pancakes on woodstove. Cut my finger for the first time playing with a knife and that map says all snow but I remember sleet on top about an inch or two we probably did have a foot or two but the sleet compacted it. Never seen another like the blizzard of 96
That was one of my favorites. I've had others with more snow, but that was almost all sleet for me. My last step going into the yard was level with the ground. I was literally walking 6" higher everywhere. It stayed really cold for a couple weeks afterwards, with a significant freezing rain event 7 days after the first storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back