• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Going back and just reminiscing on that Feb 12, 2010 storm. I tell ya, there wasn't a better storm than that in my life time. Storm hit on a Friday, started in the afternoon and went to just after midnight. What a great memory. It didn't cause any damage or anything bad. Just a nice beautiful snowfall. Opening ceremonies were going on that night too. That was my senior year in high school. Good memories. I hope I can share a storm like that with my two little girls one day. We got 7-8 inches of snow that night and CAE just happened to be the jackpot of the entire storm.. good times, feels like a lifetime ago.

Not a bad look by Feb 10th....for what I am not sure. By this point we have 18 days of winter left. Let's face it...if it can't get cold enough in Jan/Feb to snow anymore then March is like a summer month now.

View attachment 14286
I think it depends on where you live. I just went back and looked at snow in March for my area from 2008-2018 and 9 of them had at least a trace of snow. Yeah I know a trace isn’t much but 7 of those winters here produced a half inch or more of snow in March, and 5 of them produced 2 or more inches of snow. When winters are bleak at this point I usually look at my past marches to give me hope for the last 5 weeks of winter. Keep in mind these totals are for White House Tennessee and not for the city of Nashville itself as I’m Positive the totals aren’t as good. I’m about 40-45 minutes north of Nashville at around 900-930 feet in elevation. The elevation helps a lot whenever precipitation is falling equally at both locations.

I think it depends on where you live. I just went back and looked at snow in March for my area from 2008-2018 and 9 of them had at least a trace of snow. Yeah I know a trace isn’t much but 7 of those winters here produced a half inch or more of snow in March, and 5 of them produced 2 or more inches of snow. When winters are bleak at this point I usually look at my past marches to give me hope for the last 5 weeks of winter. Keep in mind these totals are for White House Tennessee and not for the city of Nashville itself as I’m Positive the totals aren’t as good. I’m about 40-45 minutes north of Nashville at around 900-930 feet in elevation. The elevation helps a lot whenever precipitation is falling equally at both locations.

I think we can see flakes in March. But, last legit snowfall, where the streets/grass was covered in March was in 2009 and that was only 3" event. Before that, I can't recall Raleigh's last 4" snowfall in March.

It was definitely a flizzard fest in March & right into April. NW of Raleigh had legitimate snow.
View attachment 14291

View attachment 14292
View attachment 14293
View attachment 14294
View attachment 14295

I firmly believe this will happen again this year. The weeklies pattern will come to pass, probably in mid March and the NE/Mid Atlantic will score. We'll get crumbs 40 north as usual. Blocking/-NAO always seems to come in March in April, when it's juuuuuust too late. It's actually quite a strange phenomenon.

Southern Wake would obviously contend 2010 was a "good" storm too.

View attachment 14305

It was gone the next morning, atleast where I lived. It was more of novelty winter storm after part of NC had record snowfalls that year. I was 30 miles from the 6-8 band that didn't want to move.

When was RDU's and/or CLT's last 4"+ winter storm in March? I always though March was better for Raleigh but we have had 2 6" events in Dec the past decade.

It was gone the next morning, atleast where I lived. It was more of novelty winter storm after part of NC had record snowfalls that year. I was 30 miles from the 6-8 band that didn't want to move.

When was RDU's and/or CLT's last 4"+ winter storm in March? I always though March was better for Raleigh but we have had 2 6" events in Dec the past decade.

Friggin sad this is the last 4"+ event in March for both before that ULL in 2009.

March 24-25 1983 NC Snowmap.gif

Before that obviously one of the greatest snowstorms of all-time second to only storms like 1927 in the state as a whole.

This map from RAH actually has several errors in it, especially in southeastern NC, needs to be amended for sure. Fayetteville for ex picked up 11" and there were near 30" amounts in/around Carteret county.
March 1-2 1980 NC Snowmap.gif

I think we can see flakes in March. But, last legit snowfall, where the streets/grass was covered in March was in 2009 and that was only 3" event. Before that, I can't recall Raleigh's last 4" snowfall in March.
I actually jackpotted on the 3/1/09 storm! 8”+, after an all day rain! Temp got down to 15 the next night! Stuck around about 2-3 days

The locals have an excuse for everything! Said last night temps would crash all afternoon here, now after sundown, it’s going to come rushing in! LOL! Like the sun caused it! Top notch forecasting!

My highs are 42 tomorrow and 38 Thursday. I'm forecasted to barely get in to the teens IMBY. Count me in as being not that impressed with the cold outbreak.

Back