• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Can i place an order for a shortwave at the TX/LA coast with a ridge along the west coast, a 1036-1040mb HP in PA or NY, and strong positive 500mb heights in the Davis Straight? Thanks. Oh, and I'll tip extra for delivery, too.

Us novices need to find a new hobby...or move. It is interesting how BOS area has been on a terror the past decade. They had to have had some record winters.

Areas whose background temperature climatology is still more than cold enough to support snow even in a warm winter are going to get richer if the climate warms. Areas like the I-40 & I-20 corridors in the marginal zone that are barely cold enough for snow/ice as is are going to suffer considerably more. Locally in NC, the Triad & far western piedmont aren't exhibiting the same long-term negative trend in snowfall like RDU and points east are, in some areas like Winston-Salem, Wilkesboro, etc. snowfall in the last century or so has increased slightly. The climatological gradient between RDU & GSO is much steeper from the 1940s to the present day compared to what it was before World War 2.

Can't whine too much about snow this decade at my location about 25 miles north of downtown Birmingham. Off the top of my head:

1/2011 - 4 inch snow/sleet storm (mostly sleet)

2012 or 2013 - 2 or 3 inch snowfall. This was one where Bham didn't get much. I work in Decatur and was stranded on I-65 for several hours at the base of Lacon Mountain

1/2014 - Snowmageddon - about one inch at most (I was at the very northern cutoff)

2 or 3/2014? - 5 inch snowfall

2 or 3/2015 - 7 or 8 inch snowfall. This was the weird one where totals cut off dramatically to my south. Even driving out of my own neighborhood, the drop in accumulation was plainly evident. Even Gardendale got almost nothing with this storm (13 miles to my south).

12/2017 - I'd say about 2.5 inches here

I guess if you add all that up and divide by 10 for 2010-2019, then it's about 2 inches per year on average. I'm leaving off a few lighter dusting type things I don't remember well. So maybe a little over 2 inches per year, which is actually about what would be expected based on long term history. I guess the pathetic stretch before 1/2011 that went on for years and years made this decade seem like a blockbuster!

Joe Bustardi Said a below average feb, get ready folks
It’s sad when he’s said that every month since October!? Guess he nailed November, but he’ll probably say he nailed his winter forecast! I just want to hear him admit just once, he’s wrong, when he is!!

Not sure I have seen Huntsville go from sure fire snow the morning of the event, to basically nothing in a few hours. All schools closed, and lots of businesses closed. Really was a tough one to predict
This ain’t the first time and won’t be the last. I’ve had as much as 2-3 inches predicted hours before arrival only to see flurries happen more then once while living here in Tennessee.

Temps busting here, shocker!
Cold is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS delayed here by 6-12 hours!!! I don’t care how deathly the cold! Sitting at a pipe busting 51 degrees right now! I was supposed to be plummeting through the 40s!? That’s hard to do with Southerly winds! SMFH

Fr tho would severe weather be more active this year with all these waves coming thru every week ?

Not a bad look by Feb 10th....for what I am not sure. By this point we have 18 days of winter left. Let's face it...if it can't get cold enough in Jan/Feb to snow anymore then March is like a summer month now.

View attachment 14286

Good if you like tornado outbreaks I guess but even those have been hard to come by in the US as a whole lately.

If you look at it with a balanced look and not just what happened in your backyard 08/09 on in general has been fine winter weather wise even with bad winters mixed in. Even if you look at it in a what you experienced way, most probably still experienced several winter weather events. If I include driving through the area that got hit the hardest with snow December 2017, I've seen 7 events in what is now the last decade.

That's not including the very minor ones, including the surprise dusting of snow I saw in 15/16.

Back