• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Oh and let me add in...

We got rid of the real torch weeks ago, but even still, we didn't have a good pattern for winter weather for us. I'm not sure where people get that idea if you simply just look at a few more maps other than just the surface map. If we have ridging in the east, it's not a good pattern for us to score, outside of maybe in the western part of the SE.

Yes, after that last cutter, we got into a better pattern for us to score, finally. We swung and missed at our chance to get a big dog over the weekend.

Although in what I was tracking, some in the SE at least kinda scored to the point where I'm not going to change to war beaver as my avatar.

The truth is now... everything is judge differently now and if someone gets a little cut on their finger your going to get your ass sued!!! That’s why schools are afraid to let them go. Afraid about being sued by money hungry people.
Why you think they have the commercial now. “In a wreck need a check”!!!

So give delta a break...

People have sued others over car accidents since cars were invented. Compensation for injury is a very ancient concept.

Quite frankly, the schools conversation is a bit silly. Different districts and cities have different needs and expectations. Metro Atlanta schools, Jefferson County in Alabama, and larger districts like them have a much more difficult and complicated set of variables to weigh than a rural county or an exburb do. There's no way a lot of counties can wait until 5AM to make a decision. Parents have to arrange childcare, transportation plans that are finely-tuned can't be recklessly modified, and many school districts are over-crowded and under-resourced.

The reason schools try to make a decision earlier than what they did two or three decades ago is because society has changed. One, we've learned a lot more about planning, efficiency, and safety. Two, the percentage of adults with children is significantly lower than it used to be, and employers are way less understanding of employees "missing" a day to stay home with their children when 80% of employees at a small company don't have minor children. Three, the number of households in which both parents work full-time is exponentially higher than 2-3 decades ago. Mommy doesn't stay at home with the kids anymore. She works full-time, and frequently has the same or even more substantial work obligations than her spouse.

People are also much less likely to live where they grew up, and they often don't have family that can watch their children on short notice. Plus, in a service based economy, a lot more employees travel than used to occur 2-3 decades ago. Especially air travel. Someone may have arrangements for their children to make it to and from school, but if you have to close schools because of weather they need lead time to make alternative arrangements for someone to watch their children.

It isn't that schools are trying to accommodate snowflake parents. It's that business and work obligations come before education in the modern American economy, society has changed, and school systems have to change their way of operating to accommodate how things have changed.

We've become so reliant on models that we have forgotten how to use knowledge, training, and experience. Probably get flamed for that, but it's largely the truth.
To add to this point look at this snip-it from Rah NWS morning AFD.... "Have also noticed that the near term model guidance is not a bullish
with the falling temperatures this evening into the overnight with some near term model guidance suggesting minimum temperatures 3-4
degrees warmer than forecast. Have trended temperatures up a bit based on this analysis and may need further adjustments in the
afternoon forecast package."

Now you and I and probably 1/2 the people on this board knew that CAA was going to be delayed by the Apps, always has and always will.... I'm not being critical BUT (well yes I am to a degree) but, mets should've known that too but instead by their own admission followed the model guidance. I love how they use the word guidance because that's what it is, guidance, but yet base their forecast solely on that model output.

Just to make u realize how much this winter has sucked camel balls, at this time in the great winter of 1898-99 NC was already digging out from a huge appetizer in late January before the big blizzard showed up in mid-February.
January 28-29 1899 NC Snowmap.png

Back