• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season & Model Discussion

The West African Monsoon (WAM) has been on fire thus far going into the summer which isn't good news for those hoping for an inactive season. Dr. Gray at CSU noted that even during years where activity was supposed to be low, the WAM would usually be a determining factor in either guiding a season towards steep inactivity or near to slightly above normal activity even when most everything else was unfavorable. I think we're probably headed somewhere in the direction of a blend of last year and 2017 in terms of total activity which would yield a solidly above average season, as for landfall prospects on the US, that remains uncertain but the lack of a huge +AMO in the basin and cool-near average SSTAs in the MDR is large-scale configuration that isn't conducive to rapid recurvatures into the open
Atlantic.
compday.1mI8mWSXLe.gif

compday.8zYPm0ynai.gif

91L looks to washout over the South-East regardless if it hits Mexico and goes into Texas. Pattern supports whatever is leftover to head our way eventually. Rain is likely the biggest concern but some weak tropical spin ups are possible. GFS also brings a hurricane near Oak Island NC but that’s likely hogwash.

I’ve always felt Recurvatures are a silly thing to predict well in advance. No one knows if the storm will exit Africa too far north or south yet alone all the other variables crossing the Atlantic.

I’ve always felt Recurvatures are a silly thing to predict well in advance. No one knows if the storm will exit Africa too far north or south yet alone all the other variables crossing the Atlantic.

A cooler tropical Atlantic like we have this year favors weaker, slower developing tropical cyclones, which by virtue of having a weaker beta effect (which draws them poleward) gain more longitude which means they pose a greater risk of hitting something further west in the Atlantic basin. During El Nino seasons, the westerlies are deeper/more extensive over the western hemisphere as anomalous convection over the equatorial Pacific deposits excess momentum in the westerly jet. In addition to stronger deep layer vertical shear, we also tend to see an unfavorable large-scale steering pattern accompany El Nino hurricane seasons in the Atlantic, this year ENSO is virtually neutral or lukewarm w/ a slight lean towards +ENSO. Furthermore, the negative atlantic tripole that's persisted most of the winter (as it has the last several years following winter +NAOs) strengthens the Azores-Bermuda high via thermal damping. When you raise the SSTAs in the subtropics, this causes subsequent height rises there too, strengthening the easterly trades (obviously less favorable for TCG & intensification), but also making earlier recurvatures into the open Atlantic less favored. People will find particular extreme examples to try & invalidate these physical mechanism(s) playing their hand in forcing the steering pattern during the summer, but the reality is akin to a baseball player taking steroids, while it's hard to know if that will result in more home runs in one particular game, these factors influence the probability distribution function or chances of a hit in any particular season. Likewise, over a longer period of record w/ more samples, steroid use relative to no steroids at all will raise the chances of home runs and big home run games. Going into this season, a majority of parameters are playing their hand in influencing the PDF of hurricane landfalls on landmasses further west in Atlantic, including the US and they're generally pushing that probability distribution towards a higher risk of landfalls. That's all we can really say about it at this juncture but there's legitimate science behind my previous statements & I fully stand behind them.

A cooler tropical Atlantic like we have this year favors weaker, slower developing tropical cyclones, which by virtue of having a weaker beta effect (which draws them poleward) gain more longitude which means they pose a greater risk of hitting something further west in the Atlantic basin. During El Nino seasons, the westerlies are deeper/more extensive over the western hemisphere as anomalous convection over the equatorial Pacific deposits excess momentum in the westerly jet. In addition to stronger deep layer vertical shear, we also tend to see an unfavorable large-scale steering pattern accompany El Nino hurricane seasons in the Atlantic, this year ENSO is virtually neutral or lukewarm w/ a slight lean towards +ENSO. Furthermore, the negative atlantic tripole that's persisted most of the winter (as it has the last several years following winter +NAOs) strengthens the Azores-Bermuda high via thermal damping. When you raise the SSTAs in the subtropics, this causes subsequent height rises there too, strengthening the easterly trades (obviously less favorable for TCG & intensification), but also making earlier recurvatures into the open Atlantic less favored. People will find particular extreme examples to try & invalidate these physical mechanism(s) playing their hand in forcing the steering pattern during the summer, but the reality is akin to a baseball player taking steroids, while it's hard to know if that will result in more home runs in one particular game, these factors influence the probability distribution function or chances of a hit in any particular season. Likewise, over a longer period of record w/ more samples, steroid use relative to no steroids at all will raise the chances of home runs and big home run games. Going into this season, a majority of parameters are playing their hand in influencing the PDF of hurricane landfalls on landmasses further west in Atlantic, including the US and they're generally pushing that probability distribution towards a higher risk of landfalls. That's all we can really say about it at this juncture but there's legitimate science behind my previous statements & I fully stand behind them.
Bottom line ... as always ... watch the "ef" out ...

The West African Monsoon (WAM) has been on fire thus far going into the summer which isn't good news for those hoping for an inactive season. Dr. Gray at CSU noted that even during years where activity was supposed to be low, the WAM would usually be a determining factor in either guiding a season towards steep inactivity or near to slightly above normal activity even when most everything else was unfavorable. I think we're probably headed somewhere in the direction of a blend of last year and 2017 in terms of total activity which would yield a solidly above average season, as for landfall prospects on the US, that remains uncertain but the lack of a huge +AMO in the basin and cool-near average SSTAs in the MDR is large-scale configuration that isn't conducive to rapid recurvatures into the open
Atlantic.
View attachment 19996

View attachment 19997

I tweeted about this earlier this afternoon and the discussion that was spurred from it as well as the cited literature is definitely worth a read.

2 runs now on gfs that has something in the gulf under 200 hrs. Maybe nothing or something to watch

Some model support for a system to develop in the Pacific, sometimes Atlantic will follow rather quickly.

Interesting tidbit from JB this morning:

“Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi
·
3h
Dont look now,but since May 5 this may be one of the quietest periods on record for tropical activity globally, Cyclone west of India has died and its all quiet again globally WPAC has not had a storm since Mar 1 EPAC has not had a June with no TD'sTC's since at least 1996”

Crazy how it took this long for a storm out there. I wonder why it's so quiet out there.
El Niño is dying a quick death! When El Niño is in full throttle, they just get storm after storm

Crazy how it took this long for a storm out there. I wonder why it's so quiet out there.

I believe some of the unfavorable conditions in the Atlantic(not that its that unusual in early season here) spread over there

the WPAC has been unusually quiet too and their season is basically year round

SSTs are boiling in the GOM rn, wind shear and lots of SAL around the MDR is preventing anything atm, but man if wind shear/SAL would go away, those water temps are supportive of a cane, a strong one at that, but ofc when there actually is one there’s other factors, but man there’s many areas along the Florida coast (gulf side) seeing 90+ water temps, which is a little unusual, don’t like that at all 53453D78-A0EB-4D65-AF4F-19D24120A5A2.jpeg1B1E14C5-8B12-4173-BDAF-1FBC6D4C72EA.jpegDA7E488D-3A08-4DDE-876D-7A99D8F62FC5.jpeg

looks like the show will heat up on the EPAC side, the next name is Barbara and it looks like it could be a long tracker towards Hawaii in the long range

I suspect we won't have to wait too long into July to see the Atlantic start to show signs of something. Like said above the basin is on fire

looks like the show will heat up on the EPAC side, the next name is Barbara and it looks like it could be a long tracker towards Hawaii in the long range

I suspect we won't have to wait too long into July to see the Atlantic start to show signs of something. Like said above the basin is on fire
Just pray for dust ... :eek:

This isn't necessarily for the Atlantic but I guess since this could implicate the US, it counts...

Tropical Storm Barbara formed in the East Pacific earlier today around 110W, the few tropical cyclones that eventually go onto threaten the Hawaiian Islands form in the monsoon trough around 110-120W, where Barbara currently is located.

hawaii.png

The latest EPS suite has a pretty decent handle on the long-term track of Barbara and more so than the GEFS/GFS imo.

If Hawaii is to be threatened it wouldn't be until the 2nd week of July.

Definitely something worth tracking while most of us wait for our next legit chances for storms and the Atlantic hurricane season to pick up.

eps_cyclones_epac_240_2019063000.png

Back