• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

They're almost all too warm
6a398d286c1f436fb1856a9fb191cf64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bouncycorn link said:
All of the members that show snow changeover to rain.
no they don't . depends on the area.e10 stays all frozen and e20 at first glance . but yes alot do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dffee33d62753d3c99588235080f55e1.jpg

b23f01bc1f7071ab9ff0f3b9f66afb4a.jpg

Most of north Georgia is rain on both. Very odd. Usually it's change over from rain to snow but this is snow to rain.

bouncycorn link said:
dffee33d62753d3c99588235080f55e1.jpg

549c807adfa59b5c5529bccc23ea4d6c.jpg

Most of north Georgia is rain on both. Very odd. Usually it's change over from rain to snow but this is snow to rain.

Yeah I'm not saying there aren't members that don't do that . I was just saying it depends on the location

I mean where we are on Sunday night leaves me concerned . for days and days the models were showing a very nice transient NAO block. over the last 4 days it keeps trending weaker and weaker and further to the NE.  The NW trend could be very real with this system especially if it's able to strengthen modestly.  we are worrying about our shortwave which we should . But we can't just ignore the fact that there is room for this to go NW

Yea the NW trend is by far the thing I am most scared about. I would give it a good chance of occurring. Hope the Euro is suppresed

I bet the 0z Euro will agree on 0z CMC. I have no idea what the GFS is doing...but boy the GFS has seen better days of more consistency.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NorthGAWinterWx link said:
I bet the 0z Euro will agree on 0z CMC. I have no idea what the GFS is doing...but boy the GFS has seen better days of more consistency.

after looking over each gefs member it's close to a 50/50 split. there was greater support for a more northern solution than I though originally when I just glanced. so the 00z gfs solution is a very real possibility

Storm5 link said:
Yeah the 18z para was a hit for most

More in line with the 00z CMC which is not bad considering the CMC was the middle road between the GFS and UK. If only we could converge on this scenario since it would be the best or at least better outcome for most.

Storm5 link said:
I mean where we are on Sunday night leaves me concerned . for days and days the models were showing a very nice transient NAO block. over the last 4 days it keeps trending weaker and weaker and further to the NE.  The NW trend could be very real with this system especially if it's able to strengthen modestly.  we are worrying about our shortwave which we should . But we can't just ignore the fact that there is room for this to go NW

Why is it such a common bias for the models to have a height shift northward as we get closer to the date?

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg6736#msg6736 date=1483335505]

after looking over each gefs member it's close to a 50/50 split. there was greater support for a more northern solution than I though originally when I just glanced. so the 00z gfs solution is a very real possibility

[/quote]
Yea but this was really the first crazy run in quite a few runs from the GFS. The CMC and the EURO has been more consistent than the gfs. IMO the 00z GFS is a outlier. We will see

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

alfoman link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6734#msg6734 date=1483335309]

Why is it such a common bias for the models to have a height shift northward as we get closer to the date?
[/quote]
I have no clue . But it's a real thing no doubt . Blocking always gets over emphasized only to relax a little as we roll forward with patterns. We joke every year " fear the NW trend" . But it's because we have been down that road over and over and over. the gfs for one has a cold northern stream bias. It loves to show big cold presses in the medium range only to let up in the short range. The euro in the past had a warm temp bias , but even the upgrade seems to have a cold bias now. So after rambling on and not answering your question lol I have no clue ....

Bsudweather link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6737#msg6737 date=1483335624]
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg6736#msg6736 date=1483335505]

[/quote]
Yea but this was really the first crazy run in quite a few runs from the GFS. The CMC and the EURO has been more consistent than the gfs. IMO the 00z GFS is a outlier. We will see

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
[/quote]
I don't disagree with your statement. I was just pointing out that there was more support for an op like solution vs what I originally thought when I glanced over the ensembles

don't fail us now euro....

so far so good . It's a good bit faster with out energy vs the gfs so that's a good start

Back