• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=alfoman link=topic=80.msg6739#msg6739 date=1483335819]
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6734#msg6734 date=1483335309]
I mean where we are on Sunday night leaves me concerned . for days and days the models were showing a very nice transient NAO block. over the last 4 days it keeps trending weaker and weaker and further to the NE.  The NW trend could be very real with this system especially if it's able to strengthen modestly.  we are worrying about our shortwave which we should . But we can't just ignore the fact that there is room for this to go NW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Why is it such a common bias for the models to have a height shift northward as we get closer to the date?
[/quote]
I have no clue . But it's a real thing no doubt . Blocking always gets over emphasized only to relax a little as we roll forward with patterns. We joke every year " fear the NW trend" . But it's because we have been down that road over and over and over. the gfs for one has a cold northern stream bias. It loves to show big cold presses in the medium range only to let up in the short range. The euro in the past had a warm temp bias , but even the upgrade seems to have a cold bias now. So after rambling on and not answering your question lol I have no clue ....

[/quote]

Thats what scares me about this situation honestly. When you tend to have models over emphasizing blocking and the strength of highs in the 3-5 day range, what is stopping the solution shown on the 0Z GFS from happening? We don't get the double barrel high we need to keep the low on a more southern miler A track and you end up getting a much more amplified miller B type scenario. Is there anything encouraging bias-wise that could prog the GFS as too relaxed?

I've been model watching since 2010/second year met student, but I honestly do not recall seeing this much diversity within a 48 hour model period.

Like Chris said earlier, the Euro is known to hold energy back out that way, and GFS is known to be too fast.  Will be interesting to see if Euro continues to be fast vs GFS.

Euro will agree with CMC by the looks of it so far

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

If the euro comes in with a big hit, you watch and see if the 06z gfs doesn't do the same. Cause I just think something wasn't right with that 00z gfs, it was just to far off from what has been being shown.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pretty okay looking run so far, energy trying to bundle up a bit better vs 12z and it's on the way towards us by 12z Thursday.

Oh yeah, thank you Euro...much more realistic than 18z GFS. The low is dropping down east of the four corners at 96. I'm looking at the upper air, 500mb.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

It's trying. Looks warm south of 20 tho. Probably not going to.make it. But close

49082194085e1562626fae471ade70e1.jpg

Deltadog03 link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6758#msg6758 date=1483338075]
s*** it's better than the 12z run no doubt
Agreed. Nice step.

[/quote]

Agreed. Not quite there but better

Back