• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Seriously that's why I said FWIW when I mentioned the NAM.... truth is if we only discussed model output based off of verification we'd only discuss the Euro, maybe the GFS, UKMET within 120 hours.  What a dull place this would be.  Heck the NAM can suck within 24 hours been burned many times.  Good grief

bouncycorn link said:
Yeah these last couple of years have been booorrriiinnngggggg.... No severe... No winter wx. Maybe we'll get some juice soon! It sucks because i've learned soooo much since the last big event so the next one will be kinda new with the new knowledge I have gained.

I personally hope you guys down south score a few events this season. As much as I love snow I don't mind missing out on this one if my southern weather friends can score. The last two winters I've completely crushed any snow droughts from years past with about 25 inches of snow. So I'm  much more patient and willing to share the snow this season. :)

These storms are bound to trend in the direction of us central Alabama folks. If not then we may be going to storm5s farm haha.

Parker link said:
These storms are bound to trend in the direction of us central Alabama folks. If not then we may be going to storm5s farm haha.
Haha come on. It not my farm it's the in laws. it's massive and has an indoor swimming pool. We can have a snow chase if we have to

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

olhausen link said:
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6511#msg6511 date=1483323363]
Yeah these last couple of years have been booorrriiinnngggggg.... No severe... No winter wx. Maybe we'll get some juice soon! It sucks because i've learned soooo much since the last big event so the next one will be kinda new with the new knowledge I have gained.

I personally hope you guys down south score a few events this season. As much as I love snow I don't mind missing out on this one if my southern weather friends can score. The last two winters I've completely crushed any snow droughts from years past with about 25 inches of snow. So I'm  much more patient and willing to share the snow this season. :)
[/quote]Good vibes bro!

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=Parker link=topic=80.msg6537#msg6537 date=1483325388]
Haha come on. It not my farm it's the in laws. it's massive and has an indoor swimming pool. We can have a snow chase if we have to

[/quote]NOTE TO SELF: Must becomes friends with Storm's inlaws ASAP

olhausen link said:
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6511#msg6511 date=1483323363]

[/quote]Well I think a lot of people would disagree with you, many places in Tennessee that haven't seen near 25 inches. I want to score a system as soon as possible. That said I hope everyone else can get theirs too. The central parts of the south will score a system at some point this year, they have a shot on this one also. Maybe a lot of us will see at least some snow.

Glenn burns just posted that the latest GFS model shows snow only in the North Georgia mountains. WTF? LOL he's using thickness 540 only. When is he going to realize that 1000-500mb thickness is not a good indicator of p-type?

Glenn Burns when asked about the GFS run showing ice: "Don't see any ice but certainly mountain snow [on 18z]"., What is he smoking?

bouncycorn link said:
Glenn Burns when asked about the GFS run showing ice: "Don't see any ice but certainly mountain snow [on 18z]"., What is he smoking?
All of you Atlanta folks can come up here to Dahlonega and watch the snow with me :)

vegaseagle link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=80.msg6538#msg6538 date=1483326159]
[quote author=Parker link=topic=80.msg6537#msg6537 date=1483325388]

[/quote]NOTE TO SELF: Must becomes friends with Storm's inlaws ASAP
[/quote]he knows how to marry!

bouncycorn link said:
WOW! He sounds soooo wise. Y'all are lucky to have him as your weather guy. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although there's a considerable amount of uncertainty wrt wintry wx in the southeastern US this upcoming week, it's pretty comforting to have not only multiple threats, but models with vastly different timing (on the order of 1-2 days or more) still resulting some snow/ice in the Carolinas...
Our first wave in the northern stream is currently deeply entrenched over the data sparse arctic ocean and far northeastern Siberia and won't arrive into the North American upper air network for another 36 hours, and we probably won't see this new data ingested into the models until Tuesday night, so there's still a lot that can (& probably will) change between now and then. The southern stream disturbance that will provide most of the attendant moisture for this first event is also still over the data sparse tropical north Pacific Ocean east of Hawaii...

gfs_z500_vort_namer_2-1024x638.png

bouncycorn link said:
He has always been the most frustrating meteorologist our area has to offer. I don't think he will ever learn. He calls everywhere in North Georgia "The Mountains".

ForsythSnow link said:
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6545#msg6545 date=1483326817]
He has always been the most frustrating meteorologist our area has to offer. I don't think he will ever learn. He calls everywhere in North Georgia "The Mountains".
[/quote] He can be frustrating at times but he's a legend in Atlanta. Most people love him. And honestly I think he's just as good as James Spann. Spann is the most overrated meteorologist ever.

SoutheastRidge link said:
I don't think Atlanta has had anything wintry other than maybe a few flurries or sleet pellets in almost 3 years.

Not true, 0.3 inches of snow was recorded in January 2016. (Jan 22nd-23rd to be more specific, I remember that because it occurred from wraparound snow.)
https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATL/2016/1/23/DailyHistory.html?req_city=The+Hartsfield+Atlanta+International&req_state=GA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=30320&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

I recorded this with my camera that Saturday morning from my backyard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CocZiDrrWs

Back