• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=ForsythSnow link=topic=80.msg6550#msg6550 date=1483327124]
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6545#msg6545 date=1483326817]
Glenn Burns when asked about the GFS run showing ice: "Don't see any ice but certainly mountain snow [on 18z]"., What is he smoking?
He has always been the most frustrating meteorologist our area has to offer. I don't think he will ever learn. He calls everywhere in North Georgia "The Mountains".
[/quote] He can be frustrating at times but he's a legend in Atlanta. Most people love him. And honestly I think he's just as good as James Spann. Spann is the most overrated meteorologist ever.
[/quote]
I agree about Spann... But I believe Burns is STILL below Spann.

Webberweather53 link said:
Although there's a considerable amount of uncertainty wrt wintry wx in the southeastern US this upcoming week, it's pretty comforting to have not only multiple threats, but models with vastly different timing (on the order of 1-2 days or more) still resulting some snow/ice in the Carolinas...
Our first wave in the northern stream is currently deeply entrenched over the data sparse arctic ocean and far northeastern Siberia and won't arrive into the North American upper air network for another 36 hours, and we probably won't see this new data ingested into the models until Tuesday night, so there's still a lot that can (& probably will) change between now and then. The southern stream disturbance that will provide most of the attendant moisture for this first event is also still over the data sparse tropical north Pacific Ocean east of Hawaii...

gfs_z500_vort_namer_2-1024x638.png

Great analysis.  I think the southern energy should help keep things moving.  That energy is either going to shear out east or some what merge with the southern piece and come out. 

bouncycorn link said:
Glenn burns just posted that the latest GFS model shows snow only in the North Georgia mountains. WTF? LOL he's using thickness 540 only. When is he going to realize that 1000-500mb thickness is not a good indicator of p-type?
Yeah, I just saw that. This event won't  just be in the MNTS of north GA.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

After The Weather Channel removed the snow for my area Friday a few hours ago, they just updated and are showing the Saturday system. They live and die by the GFS. My forecast will probably be what the 0Z shows or the 6Z shows when they update it again.

Weatherlover92 link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=80.msg6469#msg6469 date=1483318669]
I don't think Atlanta has had anything wintry other than maybe a few flurries or sleet pellets in almost 3 years.

Not true, 0.3 inches of snow was recorded in January 2016. (Jan 22nd-23rd to be more specific, I remember that because it occurred from wraparound snow.)
https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATL/2016/1/23/DailyHistory.html?req_city=The+Hartsfield+Atlanta+International&req_state=GA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=30320&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

I recorded this with my camera that Saturday morning from my backyard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CocZiDrrWs
[/quote] 0.3" may have been the official snow total at the airport but did that much actually accumulate ? When it comes to snow measurements is it how much is on the ground or how much actually falls ?

I'm thinking (wishcasting) that the GFS will bring more cold air down and give the Montgomery area some kind of winter precip

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=Weatherlover92 link=topic=80.msg6552#msg6552 date=1483327418]
I don't think Atlanta has had anything wintry other than maybe a few flurries or sleet pellets in almost 3 years.

Not true, 0.3 inches of snow was recorded in January 2016. (Jan 22nd-23rd to be more specific, I remember that because it occurred from wraparound snow.)
https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATL/2016/1/23/DailyHistory.html?req_city=The+Hartsfield+Atlanta+International&req_state=GA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=30320&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

[/quote] 0.3" may have been the official snow total at the airport but did that much actually accumulate ? When it comes to snow measurements is it how much is on the ground or how much actually falls ?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they don't document melting snow as snow accumulation, only snow that has actually accumulated on the ground, but I could be wrong.

Weatherlover92 link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=80.msg6559#msg6559 date=1483328021]
[quote author=Weatherlover92 link=topic=80.msg6552#msg6552 date=1483327418]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they don't document melting snow as snow accumulation, only snow that has actually accumulated on the ground, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]
The official snow accumulations are measured with the snow on the ground.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Back