• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

CummingWx link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg6461#msg6461 date=1483317210]
[quote author=NForsythWX link=topic=80.msg6453#msg6453 date=1483315969]

So in all seriousness how likely is a solution like this to actually happen?
It's possible, the last good winter event was in 2014. So, it's been a while since we had a major event.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

[/quote]

Not sure what your criteria is for a good winter event is but the 2/16/15 icestorm that affected NC/NE GA was our biggest icestorm since 12/05.
[/quote]
CummingWx link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=80.msg6461#msg6461 date=1483317210]
[quote author=NForsythWX link=topic=80.msg6453#msg6453 date=1483315969]

So in all seriousness how likely is a solution like this to actually happen?
It's possible, the last good winter event was in 2014. So, it's been a while since we had a major event.

[/quote]

Not sure what your criteria is for a good winter event is but the 2/16/15 icestorm that affected NC/NE GA was our biggest icestorm since 12/05.
[/quote]

Here in southern Gwinnett we got nothing from the 2014 or 2015 storms. We did receive a little dusting of snow last winter. Otherwise the 2 winters before we got nothing.

ShowMeYourTDs link said:
[quote author=1925USA link=topic=80.msg6492#msg6492 date=1483321430]
[quote author=GaWx link=topic=80.msg6487#msg6487 date=1483320717]
I recall Corey Tucker at TW doing his snow dance and getting a quick heavy snow squall the winter of 2015-6. Does anyone else recall this?
Yes, I do. ? God bless him... he begged & begged for snow so much he got me tickled. Then he got some & almost fell out. I hope he finds this forum. Also the guy that decided to drive up to Tennessee & was snowed-in  in his hotel room but posted great pictures.  I enjoyed their posts. ?
[/quote]

Oh hell... Corey and his worms.
[/quote]I've laughed so hard I hurt a few times from his stories.

RollTide18 link said:
I recall Corey Tucker at TW doing his snow dance and getting a quick heavy snow squall the winter of 2015-6. Does anyone else recall this?
Yes, I do. ? God bless him... he begged & begged for snow so much he got me tickled. Then he got some & almost fell out. I hope he finds this forum. Also the guy that decided to drive up to Tennessee & was snowed-in  in his hotel room but posted great pictures.  I enjoyed their posts. ?
[/quote]

I remembered that guy also posted his hotel and room number and every was like "whoa whoa whoa!" ?
[/quote]
Yep, I remember that. I believe it was room 126. I could almost feel his panic when we told him about the dangers of posting information like that on the internet.... Too funny.

Yeah these last couple of years have been booorrriiinnngggggg.... No severe... No winter wx. Maybe we'll get some juice soon! It sucks because i've learned soooo much since the last big event so the next one will be kinda new with the new knowledge I have gained.

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6501#msg6501 date=1483322188]
The 18z GFS didn't shoot out the energy until after 100hr.
  I wouldn't bet my paycheck on eitherr one at this timeframe.

@84 on the GFS it is still intact and starting to move east on the NAM @84 it is completely absorbed into the ull just as the 12z GFS had it...  just another observation or note
[/quote]

Winter Storm link said:
Boy, it is frustrating to see that Jefferson County Alabama is once again on the borderline of nothing but a cold rain. Maybe this storm will trend colder for my area.
you can go with me to my in laws in Huntsville . they have a farm . plenty of room

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cad Wedge NC link said:
[quote author=RollTide18 link=topic=80.msg6504#msg6504 date=1483322885]
[/quote]

I remembered that guy also posted his hotel and room number and every was like "whoa whoa whoa!" ?
[/quote]
Yep, I remember that. I believe it was room 126. I could almost feel his panic when we told him about the dangers of posting information like that on the internet.... Too funny.
[/quote]Omg! I forgot about that.... lol

bhs1975 link said:
[quote author=tarheels2 link=topic=80.msg6515#msg6515 date=1483323640]
Is this good or bad?
Bad. The NAM isn't showing what we want. Toss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
I think it is trending away though. Past six runs show an overall shift eastward each run.
2351f067-4813-4ce3-9cfb-a6ca3202e123

bhs1975 link said:
[quote author=tarheels2 link=topic=80.msg6515#msg6515 date=1483323640]
Is this good or bad?
Bad. The NAM isn't showing what we want. Toss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Most times we can just toss the NAM especially @84 Lol....  as always just throwing it out there since it's the only thing to discuss until the 0z suites get rolling haha

Guys stop using the LR nam lmao. Ask anybody in New England or where they receive a lot of snow and they'll tell you that the NAM is the worst winter model.

1925USA link said:
[/quote]

I remember that guy. He stayed about 30 minutes north of where I live because I actually told him a good safe location to stay at since I know the area.

bouncycorn link said:
Guys stop using the LR nam lmao. Ask anybody in New England or where they receive a lot of snow and they'll tell you that the NAM is the worst winter model.
ask anyone anywhere . I get feet of NAM snow every year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bouncycorn link said:
There are times it has been the only one right, such as March last year. The 4km NAM was the only model showing snow for me, and nothing else did, ans sure enough, we had a brief hit of snow that day. It showed it for several days as well. Probably just a blind squirrel getting one nut.

FWIW, each NAM run in mid range has shifted more and more east with the pacific energy.. Good news. But again, NAM is horrible.

I wouldn't worry about the NAM at this stage. I would start using the NAM when we get into that 2-4 day window. I like to use the NAM 12km for short range.

ForsythSnow link said:
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg6526#msg6526 date=1483324129]
There are times it has been the only one right, such as March last year. The 4km NAM was the only model showing snow for me, and nothing else did, ans sure enough, we had a brief hit of snow that day. It showed it for several days as well. Probably just a blind squirrel getting one nut.
[/quote]

Mesoscale models are good with mesoscale snow. Synoptic models are good with synoptic snow.

Back