• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

00z EPS has a better storm signal on the mean boys.

On this date in 1963-64, a massive snowstorm struck northern AL, eastern MS, and TN, producing upwards of 17" of snow in Huntsville and about 20" in Florence, AL! The Atlanta metro picked up ~4-6" and snowfall in North Carolina was largely confined to the western piedmont and mountains...

December-31-1963-New-Years-1964-Southern-US-Huntsville-Alabama-Snowfall-Accumulation-Map.png

For some reason a lot of the station data cut-out &/or was missing during this storm in central and western NC, so I didnt have as much data to work with vs what's "normal" for most winter storms in NC during the 1960s..
December-31-January-1-1964-NC-Snowmap.png

Whew. No major ice storm on the 06z GFS.  Waits to pop the low off the SC coast. some snows in northern AL, parts of TN and a chunk of NC.  of course with some mix/ice mixed in.

edit: little bit of winter in N. GA also.  nothing crazy like the I-20 ice band, thankfully.

A shortwave over southern Alaska just passed over a couple upper air stations in the southern portion of the Yukon Territory, and ingestion of this vital upper air data into the models likely was the cause for the extreme shift in the models overnight regarding the threat for wintry weather in the eastern US ~ January 7-9. I think we need to look at another run or two, but given that virtually all the models (except the UKMET which had this solution the entire time) responded in the way they did immediately after this new data was ingested, this shift could be legitimate. There's still a considerable amount of uncertainty left at hand, but we may have gotten much closer to finding one important piece of this non-linear, stochastic puzzle next week...

gfs_z500_vort_namer_1-1024x638.png

naconf.jpg

Webberweather53 link said:
On this date in 1963-64, a massive snowstorm struck northern AL, eastern MS, and TN, producing upwards of 17" of snow in Huntsville and about 20" in Florence, AL! The Atlanta metro picked up ~4-6" and snowfall in North Carolina was largely confined to the western piedmont and mountains...

December-31-1963-New-Years-1964-Southern-US-Huntsville-Alabama-Snowfall-Accumulation-Map.png

For some reason a lot of the station data cut-out &/or was missing during this storm in central and western NC, so I didnt have as much data to work with vs what's "normal" for most winter storms in NC during the 1960s..

Nearly a week earlier just before Christmas, approx 14 inches of snow fell in Memphis on Dec-23 with a record low of -13F on Dec-24.

snowman63 link said:
[quote author=Webberweather53 link=topic=80.msg5369#msg5369 date=1483179740]

Nearly a week earlier just before Christmas, approx 14 inches of snow fell in Memphis on Dec-23 with a record low of -13F on Dec-24.
[/quote]
Interesting! This is the first I've heard about that storm in TN, as I was skimming through the NWS data, I definitely started to pick out another storm in this timeframe over central & western NC. Southern TN must have been loving this, back-to-back 1'+ snows in some areas between Huntsville, AL & Nashville, TN.

Looking at the NCDC RSI data, you're definitely right, that's a butload of snow from southern AR thru PA...

Screen-Shot-2016-12-31-at-6.14.02-AM-1024x500.png

Webberweather53 link said:
[quote author=snowman63 link=topic=80.msg5372#msg5372 date=1483182293]
[quote author=Webberweather53 link=topic=80.msg5369#msg5369 date=1483179740]

[/quote]
Interesting! This is the first I've heard about that storm in TN, as I was skimming through the NWS data, I definitely started to pick out another storm in this timeframe over central & western NC. Southern TN must have been loving this, back-to-back 1'+ snows in some areas between Huntsville, AL & Nashville, TN.

Looking at the NCDC RSI data, you're definitely right, that's a butload of snow from southern AR thru PA...

Screen-Shot-2016-12-31-at-6.14.02-AM-1024x500.png

[/quote]

Well, I'm old enough to say I experienced this storm. lol

Shawn link said:
Whew. No major ice storm on the 06z GFS.  Waits to pop the low off the SC coast. some snows in northern AL, parts of TN and a chunk of NC.  of course with some mix/ice mixed in.

edit: little bit of winter in N. GA also.  nothing crazy like the I-20 ice band, thankfully.

Well, I am glad. No major ice storm as of yet. Hopefully rain changing to snow.

Back